1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Options for my First Real Forum

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by mark1, Feb 12, 2006.

I have no experience in promoting or setting up forums, but I have a long term vision and I want to build a forum community that would last for some time. Hope you guys can suggest a good first forum for me. So which forum would be the best for me?

I don't mind forking over a few dollars and from reading a few posts here - vBulletin comes fully recommended.

How about phpBB and IPB? or Simple Machines?

Can these forums be upgraded? Say I went with phpBB first then I wanted to upgrade to vBulletin - can the posts be migrated into the new setup?

mark1, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  2. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    You can upgrade almost any forum to vB - just check their site FAQ (www.vbulletin.com).

I've heard phpBB is good, but if you don't stay up to date it's quite easy to get hacked. Any of the ones you listed would be good, IMHO.

BigEasy, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  3. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    phpBB, IPB, and SMF can all be upgraded to vB...the catch with SMF and IPB is that the passwords cannot be converted....So if you go with one and plan on moving to vB later on down the road...keep this in mind...your members will all need to reset their passwords.

I think that since you have a long-term vision for the forums and you plan on using vB later on anyways, go ahead and get it. This will simply make things easier down the road...will also let you make more permanent decisions without having to worry about losing them later on.

GTAce, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  4. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    phpBB - The software choice for the person who wishes to spends a week straight installing mods to make it even minimally usable.

SMF - The board for one who cares not about style and cannot afford a real BBS.

IPB - The board of one whose pockets are sufficiently deep but who has no need to build a unique community.

vB(ulletin) - The board of one whose pockets are sufficiently deep and who wants to build a unique community.

Don't get me wrong, vBulletin is not without its flaws. But of the four major ones, it is clearly the best option.

gprime, Feb 12, 2006 IP
    nevetS likes this.
  5. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ that's pretty much an accurate annalysis.

Lpspider, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  6. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks ppl, you've been very helpful :)

I think before I fork over the money, I'll have to seriously sit down and write up a strategy.

But I think GTAce is right - going with VB will lock me in and probably keep me committed to the cause.

mark1, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  7. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you want a better environment for you users, go with VBulletin. If you want an easier time administrating the forum use IPB. If you don't mind setting up mods to get the features that are already installed in IPB & Vbulletin and also don't want to pay, use Phpbb. If you like free & upcoming forum softwares use smf.

scylla, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  8. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What about MyBB? imho it's coming along pretty nice and looks fantastic.
    http://www.mybboard.org

If you register check out it's awesome user control panel. Also there is a lite arhive mode, rss, and you can even export your PM boxes.

RectangleMan, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  9. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also set up my first forum 2 weeks ago. PHPbb forum. Till now I had no troubles. Setup was easy and support is very helpful

Still new so will see in future... :)

Subzero, Feb 15, 2006 IP