1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimizing for the UK

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by schlottke, May 20, 2004.

One of the websites I run (and do the sales for) is based in the US. We get a handful of buyers each day from the UK and other European countries, but feel the region is much more productive than that. My question is, what steps should we take to further optimize the site for our European buyers?

Buying a .co.uk or similar domain? Any other tips?

schlottke, May 20, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah.. your best bet would be to have a .co.uk domain hosted on a server physically in the United Kingdom. Of course, it should be a separate site than your US one (different content too).

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 20, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the note Shawn, I've got some work to do now. :)

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I have lived on both sides of the British Channel/North Sea, here is my advice:

'European buyers' and the UK market are not quite the same. Mainland European buyers will relate better to dollar prizes which are nearly the same as Euro's but most of them don't know what Pound Sterling would be compared to Euro's. Mainland Europe surfers will also manually try and type in a .com address before trying a .co.uk address yet for SE marketing this won't be that important. UK buyers are way more comfortable paying with credit cards than mainland European potential customers and obviously, to quite an extent, there is the language barrier if you try to optimize for the whole of Europe. Try and write british english if you mainly target the UK, for the rest of EU it won't matter that much. Different after sales laws apply too in different countries. If it's the whole of Europe you are after then pay a good deal of attention to optimising for commen per-country misspellings of english keywords.

Good Luck!

T0PS3O, May 20, 2004 IP
  5. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Mmmm!!??

Notwithstanding the above you should let me know what it is eg site url etc as some preconceptions about geo are not quite what they seem.

One thing is for sure - what goes for Europe does NOT go for the UK!

Foxy, May 20, 2004 IP
  6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info folks, thanks. I can tell this will take quite a bit of study in order to work well.

7. Chatmaster

Chatmaster Guest

Best Answers:
    Digitalpoint, for the idiots like me, why do you suggest that the site is hosted in the UK?

Chatmaster, May 21, 2004 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    There's nothing idiotic about your question CM, in fact, I asked exactly the same question a while back (different context, but the same question), after a similar statement by Shawn that I also asked him to clarify.

I'm yet to see any evidence that Google factors the registered locality of an IP address (used on a server) into it's SERPS. Obviously it geotargets clients, but servers are an entirely different matter.

The only instance in which Google **might** factor the registered locality of an IP address is where it is a generic tld such as a .com/net/org/biz/info etc. (Which Shawn wound up explaining to me.)

If you're using a co.uk to reach UK (commercial) audience, then don't be at all concerned. ie, there's no reason Google would penalize a company for simply choosing to use an off shore datacenter. Many do.

john_loch, May 21, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not that Google *might* be factoring in the server locality, they definitely are for people doing regional searches (showing results just from the UK in the case of google.co.uk). It's simple to see this simply by doing a search. digitalpoint.com isn't in there. And every .com that *is* in there is on a UK IP address.

There is a pretty good real-world example you can see here where someone was asking why their UK site didn't show up in a UK search. They were hosted by Lycos, on a Swedish IP address. And guess what? If you restricted your search to just sites in Sweden, they showed up.

digitalpoint, May 21, 2004 IP
  10. Foxy

Best Answers:
    All but one of our .coms [no .co.uk] are hosted in the US - previously they were in France with three being moved to England and then 2 and the others into US.

Our market is US and UK for things in France and Spain and to be honest we have not ever noticed any difference from one DC to another or from the IP we were using for connection.

Foxy, May 21, 2004 IP
  11. Chatmaster

Chatmaster Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanx for clearing that up Shawn. Once again... Love that tool! :D

Chatmaster, May 26, 2004 IP
  12. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thought I would put an end to speculation, and post this reply I got from Google about 3 weeks ago.

-------------snip>
    Hi James,

Thank you for your note. Searches that are restricted to a country domain
    should only return sites that are physically hosted in that company,
    regardless of the extension. If you would like your site or others in the
    UK to be returned in a 'UK sites only' search, we recommend that you have
    the site hosted in that country. This should make it more likely that your
    site will return in a search for pages from that country.

If your site is currently hosted in the correct country and you feel that
    Google is incorrectly detecting your site's location, please visit
    http://services.google.com/georeport/ to report the error. In your report,
    please use the 'Comments' section to let us know the IP address of your
    website, as well as where the website is physically located.

We hope this response is helpful to you.

Regards,
    The Google Team

-----------------------snip>

As you can see they quite clearly say it is based on IP location, however, that said, my server is in the US, and all my co.uk's appear, but only some of my com's.

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, May 29, 2004 IP
  13. sim64

sim64 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another thing to be be carefull about is, don't assume that a UK host is actually using servers in the UK.
    I use easyspace, a UK based company and originaly assumed the servers were UK based. I soon found out they weren't.
    My .co.uk domains show up when searching for "pages from the UK" at google.co.uk, but my .com domains don't.
    They used to be on servers in Australia and the .com and .co.uk would both show up when searching for "pages from Australia"
    Thet have now moved the servers to the US and this shows that the .co.uk obviously has an effect with Google.

sim64, May 31, 2004 IP
  14. Chatmaster

Chatmaster Guest

Best Answers:
    sim64 Good point. We have a .co.uk domain but it is hosted in Canada. There is very good reason for that. Basically what Google is doing is a unfair method forcing us to host our .co.uk site in the UK! This is a big frustration! :mad:

Chatmaster, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  15. gordon_mullan

gordon_mullan Peon

Best Answers:
    My webhost (1 & 1), are based in Germany but my sites still show up in "pages from the UK" in Google.

E.g.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hypnobirthing+midlands&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=nightingale+clinic&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=marie+mongan&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

(The sites are www.betterbirth.co.uk, www.nightingale-clinic.co.uk and www.hypnobirthing.co.uk.)

Anyone care to explain this?

Perhaps a .co.uk extension overrides the geographical location of the server? Would explain the problem with .com extensions.

Regards
    Gordon

gordon_mullan, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  16. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Although I agree with what Shawn has said I must point out that it seems to make no difference to us when our .coms are situated physically in the US but our searchs for example "skiing france" on the google.co.uk are the same as the KWT and our market is UK and US. Perhaps it is the text "france" that is assisting us here.

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    What about when you change it to search UK only- then it will, I believe.

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  18. Foxy

Best Answers:
    No - I just did it to check before I posted - exactly the same :)

Amazing hey!

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  19. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Heavy... so one of my .co.uk domains is physically in the USA and the KW for that site is targetted for the town where I live; but I've dropped from first page on G early this year to 5th page because sites "up north" have MY town as their KW on specific KW-targetted pages... That's the power of SEO for you. Time to *Lever* some of that back methinks...

Lever, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  20. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi guys,

I was wondering about optimising my searchs for the UK, and when doing some searching on Google to find info, came across this forum.

It's already answered most of my questions, but I have one more.

I have a .com address, hosted in USA, but myself and my company are UK based. I guess this means that my .com will NOT appear when someone uses google.co.uk and clicks on "pages from the UK".

I have a .co.uk which matches the .com, and at present it is just parked on top of the .com If I submit the .co.uk to Google will it index the whole existing .com site as though it was a .co.uk site and will that then show up in "pages from the UK" ?

OR, would I be better to unpark the .co.uk and run it as a separate site, and submit it separately?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

David

nadlay, Jun 9, 2004 IP