1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimal shipping process on orders

Discussion in 'General Business' started by neobium, Aug 3, 2017.

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I have been doing web design & building, branding, and marketing communications for over 20 years, and have finally decided to get into the e-commerce game myself. I'm trying to do some advance work to smooth out my approach and process before I get everything going, and have a question about best ways to handle shipping.

I will have a couple of products, with multiple variations on each. The main product will retail for around $10, and my intent is to up/cross sell so that I am not processing tons of single-item orders. I plan on setting up a Wordpress site with WooCommerce. The items will ship relatively flat, and I am wondering about:

1) Considerations for optimal shipping (packaging, carrier, other), and related elements for reducing costs

2) Optimizing my fulfillment workflow, from processing, to label printing, to tracking and returns (also relating back to item 1)

3) Concerns re: fraud ("I never received my package"), returns and other messy cust svc issues

I'm not so much looking for *answers* (since they will be dependent on my particulars), but rather help in framing my thinking - since I don't know what I don't know.

Thank you in advance.

neobium, Aug 3, 2017 IP
  2. webprof1990

webprof1990 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    From some of the things you have mentioned I believe you are actually buying products and shipping them off yourself to customers ?

My questions to you

Where are you based?

Where will your customers be based ?

What will you sell how much will it weigh ?

What's the minimum order ?

webprof1990, Aug 3, 2017 IP
  3. neobium

neobium Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm based in the US, and only want to sell to US-based customers. I will be selling an 8.5X11 paper-based product that will weigh about as much as a flat-spine magazine 1/16" - 1/8" thick. Minimum order will be one of these.

neobium, Aug 3, 2017 IP
  4. webprof1990

webprof1990 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well if you went via a parcel carrier like fed ex would they not have them sign for them ? This would avoid the fraud of not received, but if going via a parcel carrier the cost would be cheaper than the mail man I guess. If it is a magazine maybe you could intergrate a token system so for every so many they save and save a token they get a free magazine this way you could lower the cost and build trust and value with customers. Just an idea as you are still in the brainstorming stage.

webprof1990, Aug 3, 2017 IP