1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimal approch to compare adsense and YPN

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by dshah, Sep 1, 2005.

few thoughts!

1. Is it too early to compare YPN (which is in BETA) against Adsense. Adsense probably has more established advertiser network with expansive ad keywords.

2. What would be factors (from publishers point of view) these two systems should be compared?
    • Relevance of Ads
    • CTR
    • Customer Support (abrupt ban, without enough reasons)
    • % of ads served (no public service or alternates)

I am planning to use logic where adsense and YPN ads are shown alternatively so that both gets equal opportunity.

Any thoughts guys

dshah, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  2. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Let's not forget "established record." Like them or not, Google has been generous with AdSense terms from the very start - especially consideirng, say, Overture's scheme, which was 1 cent per click regardless of how much they made (at LEAST 5 cents!). Google created this industry and single-handedly threw advertising rates back up into a place where more webmasters can afford to work full-time on their craft, because other advertisers had to raise their payouts to compete with AdSense. CPMs on banner ads were down to pennies, and popups were everywhere, paying $2-4 CPMs. I have little trust in Yahoo; they have run their directory as a huge cash cow, charging $200 per year for listings in many, many categories, and festooning their services with tons of ads. When it comes to ethics, I think Google has a serious edge, and that's something I do care about. They earned my trust and loyalty.

davert, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  3. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's not forget one other thing about google. According to my estimations, they pay us approximately 20% of their gross revenue.

Ridiculous.

AfterHim.com, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  4. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly my thoughts when I heard about the Yahoo beta testing... I have applied for it though...

Would certainly like to have a go at it, whatever my reservations are...

medusa, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  5. LeeD

LeeD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Overture is very large has been around much longer than Adwords going back to the GoTo.Com days. So they have more advertisers and also the $.10 minimum bid. ;)

LeeD, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  6. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Competition will eventually (probably soon) have them being very comparable. It will be a Coke vs. Pepsi, Chevy vs. Ford, McDonald's vs. Burger King. I use Overture and Google Adwords and consider them a pain and a joy respectively. Google's interface is much better, they're smart bidding keeps my bids as low as possible and I end up spending a whole lot more with them. Since context sensitve ads are not that much work to implement I plan to use both equally if Yahoo does a fair job on their backend and payouts.

I do love the fact that Google rejects few keywords initially and lets the market decide how often your ads display.

tbarr60, Sep 7, 2005 IP