1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinon on website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Sam Collins, Jul 19, 2017.

Hi everyone

I'm really new to this and have had a go at launching a website. http://gadgetcomparer.com/

it would be great to get your feedback on what I can do to improve the site as a whole.

Sam Collins, Jul 19, 2017 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, we have a review area on these forums separate for this, but I'll give it a once over since my reviews usually also include breaking down problems in the HTMl and site's design.

First off it is AGONIZING to watch that bloated train wreck TRY to load. If I were visiting as a normal user and not a reviewer, I would likely have bounced LONG before your page even finished loading. MOST of the blame for it being such a slow loading wreck is obvious -- it's 3.7 megabytes spanning 27 files. That's not AS horrendous as a lot of other sites, but that the 802k of JavaScript contains a LOT of "blocking" scripting slowing the parsing and render stages, that's an epic /FAIL/ at web development.

Though not to be outdone, the CSS is the pinnacle of developers incompetence and ineptitude. There is NO legitimate reason for a normal website, particulary one as simple as this, to break 48k of CSS in one file for each media target. This site doesn't even PRACTICE media targets since there are no media attributes on any of the <link>, MASSIVE amounts of style has been slopped into the markup using that all-dreaded <style> attribute that there is ZERO legitimate reason for ANY developeer to ever use.... and to be frank if you "need" 2.4 HUFFING MEGABYTES of CSS to build a website -- do the world a favor, back the *** away from the keyboard, and take up something a bit less detail oriented like macramé!

These problems are only further exacerbated by the TRAIN WRECK of developer ineptitude that is the markup. You've got not even a dozen content images that are being slopped in with some garbage lazy-loading scripttardery and not even 4.3k of plaintext -- what in any sane and rational development project should hover between 10 to 14k of code.... SO WHAT IN THE BLUE BLAZES IS THIS IDIOCY wasting 102k on?!? that is EIGHT to TEN TIMES what such a simple page should be sending! Even MORE pathetic is that the page is served minified, and my size estimates are for non-minified!

... and that markup? Static style in the markup, static scripting in the markup, giving the middle finger to mobile accessibility with a broken viewport meta, endless pointless meta not one legitimate UA gives a flying purple fish about, incomplete inaccessible forms, nothing remotely resembling logical document structure or even proper semantics, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, tabular layout "thinking" and presentational use of classes to accomplish same in that halfwit "OOCSS" herpa-freaking-derp full Pakled mentality....

[​IMG]

Of course, all that is entirely what I expect when some nube or rube allows themselves to be duped into thinking that the steaming pile of manure that is turdpress can be used to build a business website... when to be frank if you don't know what's wrong with this:

<body class="home page-template-default page page-id-1438 global-block-template-5 td-gadgets white-menu wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1 vc_responsive td-animation-stack-type0 td-full-layout" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/WebPage">
    Code (markup):
    or this:

<div class="td-scroll-up"><i class="td-icon-menu-up"></i></div><div class="td-menu-background"></div><div id="td-mobile-nav"><div class="td-mobile-container"><div class="td-menu-socials-wrap"><div class="td-menu-socials"> <span class="td-social-icon-wrap">
    Code (markup):
    Or even this:

<li id="menu-item-1439" class="menu-item menu-item-type-post_type menu-item-object-page menu-item-home current-menu-item page_item page-item-1438 current_page_item menu-item-first menu-item-1439">
    Code (markup):
    STOP TRYING TO MAKE WEBSITES until you know enough about HTML and CSS to be qualified to do so. Sleazing together off the shelf answers like this is the road to ruin.

deathshadow, Jul 19, 2017 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like @deathshadow says, too damn SLOW! Took 2 MINUTES on a 100Mb connection to load your landing page!

Then when it is loaded, what do I see? A large BLANK white page with a header that is near impossible to read because of LIGHT GRAY fonts on a WHITE background.

As it turns out, I only need to scroll down to see some content. Why o why do you have all of that white space? Normal people (I am abnormal) would never think to scroll down looking for content. Normal people would LEAVE and NEVER return! With a near 100% bounce rate, even if Google indexed your page, it would drop in rank like a rock to where NO ONE COULD FIND IT in Google's index.

As I scroll down, I see lots more BLANK space scattered over the page. To get to the bottom I need to scroll SIX times. With what content that I see, the maximum scrolls should be THREE. Flipping the bird at the user IS NO WAY TO SUCCEED! I see a recipe for disaster.

Take a look at this >>> https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http://gadgetcomparer.com/&showsource=yes

Your landing page is not even error free. Errors CAUSE problems. Errors NEED to be fixed.

And look at that disaster for code. Damn near impossible to even find the errors much less fix them.

The last line takes the cake for idiocy, and I quote, "This website is like a Rocket, isn't it? Performance optimized by WP Rocket." ROCKET? GIVE ME A BREAK! MORE LIKE A TURTLE!

Since you are new and have succumbed to the mantra that turdpress is easy to use to build websites us seeing such a page is no surprise. I suggest you back up and start over as I suspect it will take more time to find and fix the problems than if you started over from scratch. Even if you get the problems fixed, the next time you edit the page, it is entirely possible that the SAME problems will rear their ugly heads AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, ad infinitum. Do you want to spend the rest of your life fixing SAME problems CREATED by TURDPRESS over and over again, or would you rather be doing something fun or productive instead?

mmerlinn, Jul 22, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Loaded fine for me but this did amuse me, give the comments above
    It's a WordPress site so it should function well but whoever put the site together doesn't know how to link to css files - and that's about as far into the source code as I bothered to go. Getting that wrong is kind of like hitting a brick wall.

My big concern is the niche you are targeting. I expected to be able to select 2 gadgets of a similar type and see a comparison table or something similar. I'm in the market for an android phone so the pixel versus Samsung article was interesting but I needed to read lots where I really wanted a summary of major features - like aerial sensitivity in rural areas. I'm not sure how you're going to fare alongside the big tech websites without some disruptive point of difference.

sarahk, Jul 22, 2017 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Methinks we have a different definition of the word "well".

deathshadow, Jul 22, 2017 IP