1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Operation Dmoz - Strategic Failure

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by basecamp, Aug 17, 2005.

Can anyone please tell me if a Dmoz Editorship application gets declined then how soon one should reapply? I expect that Dmoz keeps record of all those who've applied for editorship (at least applicant's I.P.), so in case of re-application using the same I.P. with a different story this time regarding one's motives and interests in applying for the editorship, it is very likely that one could get caught doing such tactic. There's no way ppl at Dmoz could verify the applicant's credentials mentioned in the application form nor there's any guarantee that the information provided by the application would be 100% truth (may be a complete mock-up).

Its still an unsolved mystery that what is the most decisive factor for acquiring Dmoz editorship - having an I.T. or may be an SEO background or a Non-technical background (having no knowledge of web development) with some relevant work experience in the nature of category applied for if we assume for a moment that all other possible rejection factors like spelling or grammar etc. are good to go.

Please treat this topic as a case study and share your views as to what could possibily be done about it?

basecamp, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    You can reapply as often as you want. If it looks like your getting desperate, you probably are and won't get approved. I've applied 3 or 4 times over the past two years and have gotten rejected each time. I get around to applying generally around the time when I submit my sites because I get the idea to help out - but not always in a related category.

I figure whatever... I tried to help. It's different people reviewing your application and I think the factors are probably:

1) quality of the app - are the sites good, are the descriptions good?
    2) obviously interested primarily in self promotion?
    3) mood of the reviewer
    4) can a newbie handle this section?
    5) is it a relatively spam free section?
    6) does the section need help?
    7) does the parent section owner want help?
    8) are the stars aligned properly?

If you aren't honest on the app, it will probably be pretty obvious and it will be a problem. On the other hand, a perfect application can be rejected for no reason in particular. It's the luck of the draw.

I would be interested in seeing how many editors actually get added on a monthly or annual basis. In the categories I've looked at, there doesn't seem to be anybody new around.

nevetS, Aug 18, 2005 IP
    macdesign, sarahk and Ajeet like this.
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    So I got red-repped by a newbie because my above post "was not helpful and provided inaccurate information" - what exactly did I post that was inaccurate?

I'd love for someone to post a documented list of dmoz editor review factors.

nevetS, Aug 18, 2005 IP
    minstrel and Liminal like this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be willing to bet that "newbie" was a DMOZ editor doing a driveby.

minstrel, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  5. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    According to my calculations it's about 650 new editors in the last two months. But I'd like someone else's opinion - that's not an official statment.

macdesign, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  6. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    That seems like a good deal of editors - but there are also a lot of editors out there that are very inactive. I'm surprised that the number is so high - my impression was that not very many editors were being added, but that's in the neighborhood of 10 a day - which isn't phenominal - but it is a great deal of people.

nevetS, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    What they are all doing is another matter...

8. basecamp

basecamp Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, Minstrel, don't just jump to conclusion and start making accusations on somebody without proof. Just because i mentioned possible outcome scenarios in my post doesn't make me a secret Dmoz Agent. If you do not wish to share anything that actually help find a solution to the problem then I urge you to please refrain from posting on this thread. I do not require professionals to divert their thoughts on something unimportant. Its not a war-zone so kindly show professional attitute at all times. I came here for help not get blamed for something that I'm not. If you feel you really are concerned about helping then you're most welcome to share with us anytime.

basecamp, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, basecamp (which is probably limited), I wasn't even talking to you when I made that comment -- I was talking to nevetS regarding his #3 post in this thread. I wasn't blaming you for anything.

I might also note that I don't need your permission to post in this or any other thread.

10. basecamp

basecamp Guest

Best Answers:
    Sir, I honestly don't understand what are you talking about. Who is it you're referring to? I never said or intent to say such thing that your post was inaccurate. Anyways, please don't give it a thought. Whoever did it, if genuinely capable of something, would state some evidance in the form of personal experiment or quoting some reference to an authentic source. Please try to concentrate on the problem at hand. I really appreciate the fact that you did show your concern and are infact the first one to step-up. Just ignore the rest! I expect you to share your valuable knowledge with us in future just like you did now. Take care!

11. basecamp

basecamp Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh! I see! Well, my apologies for the misundestanding!

12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you please maybe reiterate what you see as the problem, then? Then we might be able to have a discussion on it. The way I read it, you have applied for editorship in the ODP several times, and have been rejected each time, and are wondering what you can do to become an editor.

Have I got that wrong? If so, please correct me.

Did you get any feedback on why your editor application was refused? Everyone gets an email by way of feedback, and that sometimes contains specific advice. What advice were you given? That really is a good place to start, because it will give you (and us) a way to get through this rather than talking in vague generalities. If you want this to be a case study, you need to give us all the information. If you like, post your editor app so everyone can see and learn from it.

In general, though, the advice that nevetS gives is good. I do not review editor applications, but I would strongly suggest that his items 1, 2 (although I would have rephrased it "NOT interested primarily in self-promotion"), 4 (5 follows from 4) are the ones to pay special attention to.

6 is of lesser importance - the idea is that all sections need help. In extreme cases it's true that this will be a factor, though.

7 is not something that enters the ODP vocabulary - no section has an "owner"

3 and 8 should not enter into it at all. But I would also suggest that since the reviewers are human, there will be some variability between them, in terms of what they are looking for. I am sure there are some peer-review things that go on to try to reduce that, but I'm certain that it is a small factor.

So, focus on 1, 2 and 4 and you will stand a better chance of being accepted. Item 1 involves quite a bit of reading - it's not what you might think is a good application that matters - you absolutely must get familiar with the way the ODP do things.

(Why do people wanting information post with such aggressive thread titles? Talk about putting people on the defensive - if you want a civilised discussion about a topic, I would suggest you use a civilised thread title.)

Alucard, Aug 19, 2005 IP
    nevetS likes this.
  13. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    basecamp - correct me if I'm wrong, (and it could be that you are just using casual English in your posts here) but I would make a guess from your postings that English is not your native language - and that might cause some problems.

I do not review editor applciations, but I would guess that a major cause of rejections is writing descriptions that are good marketing hype, or very good English and well thought out in the eye of the submitter, but that fail to meet the ODP description guidelines. I have seen newly appointed editors (when receiving a correction from an experienced editor) argue adamantly why their descriptions are better than ones that meet the ODP guidelines. The goal is not to right "good" descriptions, but to describe the site.

forums.digitalpoint.com

One of the most popular SEO forums, covering a wide range of topics, widely held in esteem by many web marketers, and a major hangout for those who like intelligent, balanced discussions of leading web directories.

-OR_

Discussion related to search engines, including optimization, marketing, tools and other technical aspects.

macdesign, Aug 19, 2005 IP
    nevetS likes this.
  14. basecamp

basecamp Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, Alucard, the problem is self explanatory and yup you did get it right – its about the editorship. The quote you referenced was meant to prevent ppl from starting their personal arguments and diverting attention from the original post. So just ignore it. I’m really thankful to nevetS for initiating, you for giving supplement view, and Macdesign.

…… Macdesign, your guess is absolutely correct…..All i know is that when it comes to descriptions one should look for objectivity and conciseness. (of course, as you said, it must be grammatically correct too).

Now, correct me if I’m wrong Alucard, you’re familiar with the text of the message they send to unsuccessful applicants? So, I just concentrated on something that is Not part of their reply text. One thing that hasn’t been addressed to yet…. Is it necessary to possess web related ‘technical knowledge’ to get approved as I didn’t have nor mentioned such in the application? Please comment on this one.

P.S.(Alucard): Forgive my tone of words. All this editorship thing’s has got me on aggressive side and perhaps my ex-military background might have something to do with my selection of words. I've changed it above to something more meaningful :)

basecamp, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  15. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, from what I remember there is a standard part and also a place where the editor who processed the application can write comments as to the reason. It is vitally important that, if provided, that be taken notice of.

A very good question! The only technical knowledge required is the ability to navigate web pages - beyond that nothing - no HTML knowledge, no programming knowledge. While there are your fair share of computer geeks that are editors, there is a large percentage that are not.

I understand - I know it can get frustrating and sometimes people need to vent. I just meant that sometimes the best, most constructive answers don't come back as a result of that venting. :)

Alucard, Aug 20, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    How important is grammar/spelling, lol?

l234244, Aug 20, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Very. lol

Alucard, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Yes, please, that's not your job and this isn't the place.

That is the job of a DMOZ Editor and the place is the Resource-Zone. :rolleyes:

Uppity webmasters! Acting like DMOZ Editors! What is the world coming to!

Well, that would certainly differentiate this place from the Resource-Zone...

Gee, that's that same reason I went to the Resource-Zone -- and that's the same response I received there. Except that Minstrel is considerably more polite than your average power-crazed DMOZ editor.

This is the most ridiculous remark in your whole post.

Yes, Minstrel is free to share with all of us anytime. These are free countries, Canada and the U.S.

He is also free to share with DMOZ editors on the Resource-Zone, of course, what he is sharing will be completely ignored right up to the point where his account is banned and his posts are deleted.

You appear to be living in some sort of bizarre fantasy world. Wake up Dorothy! Wake up!

Will.Spencer, Oct 9, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :D :D

Will is confusing The Wizard of Oz and The Wizard of DMOZ again... :eek:

minstrel, Oct 9, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.