1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

open source law suits

Discussion in 'Bing' started by stevemdr, Jun 26, 2007.

Do you this microseoft will go after many of the open source companies that use patents stolen from microsoft?

stevemdr, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  2. KeyboardHustler

KeyboardHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ehm.. what did you say again?

KeyboardHustler, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  3. Nickower

Nickower Banned

Best Answers:
    i think he means people who have created free versions of microsoft word, excel powerpoint etc.

Nickower, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  4. KeyboardHustler

Best Answers:
    is there free versions of word? :O

KeyboardHustler, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  5. proinet

proinet Peon

Best Answers:
    openoffice.org is one that comes to mind... I have no idea if M$ thinks it infringes on any of their patents...

proinet, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  6. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess on the contrary microsoft patented opensource technologies, it is their fault, this suit will also go against ms

it career, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  7. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Let Microsoft sue the Open Source Community. The Open Source Community owns there own patents that Microsoft infringes on. Just because Microsoft owns a patent does not mean they will win. Most of the patents that Microsoft holds can not stand in court as they would be deemed that they should have never been issued in the first place. Please Microsoft start the war so The Open Source can put you in your place.

rmartish, Jun 27, 2007 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  8. smarketing

smarketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I'm new here, but I've been following the MS patent abuse claim, and from what I can tell, it's bogus.

Essentially, MS are attempting to slap the Linux community around. They are suggesting that Linux has impinged on around 200 MS patented technologies - but they won't say which ones!

Linus Torvalds has publically dismissed the allegations, and surprise surprise, MS have said no more about it.

A blatent piece of mud slinging, which to me says MS are growing increasingly concerned at the gradual adoption of Open Source in the marketplace - especially in the Server & Office Suite space, the 2 biggest moneyspinners that MS have in their portfolio.

Steve

smarketing, Jul 1, 2007 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  9. KeyboardHustler

Best Answers:

Great information Steve :)

KeyboardHustler, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  10. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    ms sucks. they are just greedy pigs.

uniqueasitis, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  11. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems funny that it's Microsoft Paying Novell, Linspire, and all the rest that have signed up with them. You would think that if Linux was the one violating the patents it would be the other way around.

rmartish, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  12. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    No, I don't think Microsoft is going to sue them.
    They are just too small and harmless to get the attention of the big giant.

zexy, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  13. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    If there so harmless why is Microsoft paying them.

rmartish, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  14. iMarketingGuru

iMarketingGuru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Poor Microsoft, why totally destroy any rep you've built in the exact community that was generated in order to destroy you? Microsoft has been doing so well and this scare tactic was just unnecessary and pure stupidity.

iMarketingGuru, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  15. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    If Microsoft has learned anything from SCO they will not sue. SCO has learned the hard way that a lot of patents they hold can't hold up in court. It's a good thing for SCO the judge allowed it to go this far. So far IBM has kicked the pants out of them. For the record the company with the most patents still remains IBM, I think Novell comes second since they own the Unix code.

rmartish, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  16. MrStitch

MrStitch Peon

Best Answers:
    I happen to work in an industry where patents have increasingly become 'grayed out lines'.

Eventually, you'll find that it doesn't take much at all to dodge the whole patent dance. Just change a few things and thats it.... whole different product.

Microsoft is getting scared by the office thing, mainly because they charge an arm-and-a-leg. Now, their OS software price is getting out of hand. Because of this, people are turning to other things.

Whats that OS called? Obuntu or something like that.....

I have a disk coming myself, and gunna give it a shot. Would be kinda fun to see how it all plays out. Programmers, keep in mind that this new venue could be a good money maker. Just think of Fire Fox. It's given away free, built on the backs of enthusiasts, and the 'company' is raking in millions, per month, at practically NO cost. Funny, Mozilla claims - "Well, the money go's towards the cost of servers, etc."

Good god, how much do servers actually cost? Apparently 'millions'.... hahahahahha:D

MrStitch, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  17. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Biggest mistake Microsoft made was not going Open Source like Apple did.

rmartish, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  18. smarketing

smarketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    OS X? Open Source? No.

There was a flavor of OS X that was purely open source (Darwin)

I thought Apple opened up some of their API's to the OS Community, but not the kernel.

I could be wrong though, and I'd be happy to be corrected.

Thanks,
    Steve

smarketing, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  19. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Open Source Overview

With its open-source core based on FreeBSD 5.0 and the Mach 3.0 microkernel, Mac OS X is the best Macintosh operating system ever for UNIX users. With built-in support for the X Window System, IPv6, Kerberos integration, and added POSIX, Linux, and System V API support, Mac OS X easily runs your favorite open source software. With a CUPS-based print and fax engine, plus a suite of command-line and Python interfaces to Apple's Quartz graphics, it is easy to develop full-featured PDF workflows. Mac OS X even automounts Macintosh, Windows, and UNIX file servers directly in the Finder.

One of the most widely used implementations today, the Mac OS X kernel includes support for more than 4 GB of memory and new system notifications built around the BSD kqueue/kevent mechanism. The UNIX environment provides a number of advanced features, including updated UNIX command-line tools (see the Open Source page for the latest versions available on Mac OS X), an enhanced terminal application, terminal emulation with xterm-color functionality, a new Activity Monitor application, and an LDAP-based directory services architecture. Mac OS X also supports a number of application toolkits, including X11, Tcl/Tk, Motif, and GLUT (the OpenGL Utility Toolkit).

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/overview.html

rmartish, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  20. birdsfly

birdsfly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft won't sue anyone, especially not open source developers like Open Office, it's been up for ages and heaps of people rely on it...I don't see it happening...

birdsfly, Jul 3, 2007 IP