1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Open Directory Project? Why many people are having a tough time getting approved?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seoteky, Jul 12, 2010.

Submit and Forget. That's what DMOZ - Open Directory Project is. You submit your listing and pray that ODP moderators will approve it.

seoteky, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  2. loveenaguilford

loveenaguilford Peon

Best Answers:
    Pray is correct. I submitted mine about 10 months ago now... still no word. And although I've made some significant changes to my website I'm rather scared to re-submit my site for fear of ticking the mighty moderators off!

loveenaguilford, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  3. wheeliebin

wheeliebin Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't understand why everyone gets so frustrated with the ODP, its edited by volunteers so things dont always go as fast as they might. The answer is real simple. Volunteer to be an editor. Be totally upfront about any website that you are associated with. Apply to edit the categories you want your site(s) to be in. The other thing is that you get to see how it all works and what the specifications they use for what sites to include. I've done this and ensured my sites are listed where I want them...

wheeliebin, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Being an editor and punlishing your own site is fine, as long as you clearly declare your affiliations. I just wanted to point out that the sites would be published in the category "where they belong", not "where you want them".

I just wanted to clarify this as i know what you meant was in good faith, but someone will certainly jump on the wording that you have used and claim that something inappropriate has happened, when in fact it hasnt.

Cheers :)

snooks, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  5. wheeliebin

wheeliebin Guest

Best Answers:
    @snooks - You're quite right, on rereading my post it does look like I'm suggesting it's possible to pervert things. I wasn't trying to imply that at all (and indeed that isn't what I've done). In fact when I did apply to be an editor to speed up a site being listed I was told that some of the sites I suggested were not appropriate to that category (one of the requirements of a new editor is to find some entries for the category that is being applied for - as I'm sure you know). This involved consulting with other ODP editors as to the most appropriate place for the new category and then getting that category created. As with most of us out there that are trying to do 'honest' SEO - just getting listed on the ODP is the objective, I suppose the category your site is in may have some SEO relevance but for most sites the category that 'they belong in' should be the best one for you (keyword wise) otherwise you're trying to twist search engines too with the wrong keywords...

wheeliebin, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Long time ago it was considered as a valuable link. Few editors made money out of it especially in the Adult section. These days its just a link and not even worth the wait. Just do whatever promotion you can do.

popotalk, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  7. seoteky

seoteky Peon

Best Answers:
    Geez. I never thought that DMOZ has dark things like this. Editors makes money by approving links. What actions did google took then against this editors? Matt cuts!

seoteky, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  8. Techie Geek

Techie Geek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of us are praying that a moderator will actually look at our suggestion :) If they see it they'll probably want to approve it, but getting them to see it is hard.

Techie Geek, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Popo makes a lot of noise and offers little proof. Don't forget any editor caught taking a bribe, and some, sadly have been, get booted forever and all sites that were involved banned for ever.

But what on earth would it have to do with Google?

They have absolutely NOTHING to do with the directory or how it is run. They, like many others use our RDF dump, so they use our material but that's absolutely all.

Anonymously, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just for the record. It was a hot topic here a few years ago.

Also just a simple yes or no answer would do.
    Was there corruption in DMOZ ? :D

popotalk, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ROFLMAO

(obligatory message lengthener)

jimnoble, Jul 18, 2010 IP
    fastreplies likes this.
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Aint got much room there to talk is there? I mean, heh... how long have we been asking you to prove you are an editor? Heck... when was the last time you EVER backed up a claim here? Seriously... set down, or maybe not... you seem to enjoy basking in your ever present double standards.

Aint got much to say do ya?

Why is it that when somesone says something against the ODP Editors do not (seemingly EVER) counter what was said? They always just follow up with nervous laughter as if there was something to hide...

Qryztufre, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My comment was aimed at popo who will surely understand the joke :).

jimnoble, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Heh... the inside joke must revolve around what goes on at the internal forums. I understand that you all can't talk about it out here in public. I'd likely not want to give a YES answer either if I was an editor... it simply would look bad.

Qryztufre, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are an editor, but with no portfolio.:rolleyes:

Anonymously, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, I still have more edits then you will EVER have.

Qryztufre, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah...but he / she retains their integrity :) If you wern't an EX-editor you would be able to see his / her edits.

snooks, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Integrity ? Your joking right ? He/She can't even give edit reference for a simple reason of using triplicate accounts at digital point.

popotalk, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    She can't even prove that she is an editor! Where is the integrity in that? She comes in and mocks someone proven to be an editor... to what end? That's no different then claiming to be president while not even being a resident of the country you are talking about.

The fact I can show my profile means that I at least was an editor... She can not even do that, or at least wont. She makes broad claims that she will not back up, then asks for proof from others. Yes snooks integrity indeed!

Qryztufre, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  20. DejanL

DejanL Peon

Best Answers:
    2 many ppl have problem to get approved by dmoz or take long time

DejanL, Oct 2, 2010 IP