1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Onsite video advice needed

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Flif, Apr 11, 2007.

Hi, everyone,

These days I'm facing a problem - one of my clients (a job agency) wishes to offer video messages on their company website. The idea is that the job agency wants to help their job seekers show a video profile (done with only a web camera and a microphone only) to their potential employers so that the companies may get a better idea of the applicants. I am not very savvy and experienced in these technologies but I think some user-friendly tool, easy to configure and run would be the perfect candidate for me. Anyone dare to share?:rolleyes:

Flif, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  2. zchatila

zchatila Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm having trouble understanding what it is you are looking for. What kind of tool?

Do you want a YouTube type website functionality where users can upload videos? Are you looking for only an upload script?

zchatila, Apr 12, 2007 IP
    Tiggi likes this.
  3. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zchatila, thank you for your desire to help me out,

Alright, my idea goes like this - for my client I need to add to his webpage (a job site) video profiles of the applicants in which they can express better
    their personality, talk about their skills, experience and so on. My client wants out of me to make it possible when a new visitor registers on his site and
    creates a job resume, he/she to have also the option to use a web camera and create a video which will be later available for the employers to watch it
    on my client's website itself. (i.e. similarly to the YouTube player). I gotta make it possible but I don't really know how so, please, walk me in the right direction.:(

Flif, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  4. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, Flif,

Sorry, I can't help you really.:(

Anyway, what you are asking for sounds very intriguing to me:) I haven't seen any tool like the one you are searching for but I think your idea sounds great and I hope you'll make it real.:rolleyes:

Hm, I was wondering - how about YouTube - maybe they offer such an app the way want it?

Tiggi

Tiggi, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Tiggi,

Thanks for your reply :) To be honest, I don't know if YouTube has something like what I am looking for to offer but I won't miss to find it out over the weekend.;)

Flif, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  6. mok123

mok123 Peon

Best Answers:
  7. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Tiggi

Hey, I checked at YouTube but unlickily they don't offer the functionality I need.
    Yes, I can upload a video there and then have the player code on my site...but the video is still stored on YouTube. What is more, I guess there's no way to make a video record using my webcamera to publish it directly on YouTube? As far as I know, it has always been working only by file upload?

Correct me if I am wrong and please, if any soul here knows some other options - write in.:eek:

Flif, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  8. zchatila

Best Answers:
    yes. youtube has started allowing u to record directly and upload from your webcam. I think dailymotion.com also does that.

If you want video YouTube clone scripts, check out this thread

There is also a free upload script that u can use here.

Other than that, it sounds like u need custom php programming/script. Something that will integrate that kind of functionality into your current site and do so in a "dynamic referencing" fashion.

I know u can use a program like adobe dreamweaver to generate the flash code that will insert a video into a website and make it play. U can also use uber-uploader to have the user upload a video. But the problem is integrating all this into your current website and doing it in a dynamic fashion.

that's all I have. good luck.

zchatila, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  9. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zchatila,

Thanks so much for your imput - I was so desperate nobody would share any fruitful ideas.

OK, I'll give all your ideas a try - hope at least one will fit my needs.:)

Thanks a ton again!;)

P.S. It looks quite hard to get the video working the way my client wants it...but anyway, I'll try your options, Zchatila.:p

Flif, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  10. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    So you're just basically interested in having a video, which is hosted on your own server, load up to be played on a page? I'd like to have something like that too. It sounds like it should be simple.

heinlein99, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  11. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, Zchatila ...and everybody interested in the thread,

I am a bit disappointed...of myself. It seems like both these options - these youtube clone scripts and the php script seemed to be too challenging to me. After having spent literally hours on them, I am now at my starting point. To add:
    It needs FMS to work in a dynamic fashion, doesn't it? That makes it expensive...

What comes to be even worse is that I am pressed for time and have no clue what to do :(

Flif, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  12. zchatila

Best Answers:
    I feel for you. But anything beyond the above info is well...beyond me! Dont do any programming myself. I guess u could always pay to have a programmer get you going. Not sure what skills u have.

:(

zchatila, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  13. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why does he need to pay a programmer? There are plenty of services on the web that are providing site developers with video recording tools.

shuttle, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  14. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any hints on where I should start looking for?

Flif, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  15. sir_round

sir_round Active Member

Best Answers:
    sir_round, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  16. Yoogo

Yoogo Peon

Best Answers:
    You can using a .swf player to play .flv format video. youtube is this method.
    so your only need is a flv converter.

Yoogo, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  17. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    You tube is not the way to go. You need something that will record and publish your videos straight away. If you tell your users to get a converter and then do this and that they will move on to the next site to find a better service. That is why I am not a fan of You Tube.

shuttle, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  18. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    I checked the things on this thread
    I checked the site of seetheface as well, but not long after that I ran into another service.

And beacuse I am sort of a beginner in this I would like a second opinion and help from you guys. Could you tell me which one is worth trying:

www.seetheface.com

or

www.userplane.com

I would be grateful if you lead me to the right direction in this rat maze of Web 2.0 services.

Flif, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  19. pstone

pstone Peon

Best Answers:
    I have recently activated setheface's wordpress plugin. It was kinda hard for me to do i t but once I got it working it all went to its normal course. Still haven't heard about userplane. I might check them out. Thanks for the reference.

pstone, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  20. Paul8368

Paul8368 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi flif,

Excellent idea from your clients perspective if you get it working can you do one for me too. Where are they based? I would be interested in a similar site for the EU market. I'm already trying to do something similar if I get it to work I'll let you know, as it stands I think it has to be saved and reuploaded can you cope with that?

to make it live immediately seems to be the sticking point to me

Paul

Paul8368, Jun 18, 2007 IP