1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Online marketing - targeting older people

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by stephaniexx, Apr 26, 2010.

If your market is for people 40+ years old, how would market online?

Social media wouldn't be the way forward would it? as only young people use them.. so any other ideas? thanks

stephaniexx, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  2. soulravager

soulravager Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess if you are targeting old people Localy try posting some posters near big shops and not so modern Cafes were old people usualy hang out...
    Outwise I would guess go for SEO and PPC ?

soulravager, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  3. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The younger generation are more inclined to use the internet than the elderly, but that doesn't mean you can target the younger generation to get to the elderly, right?

Now, for the older people that are using the internet, they are more likely to go to newsworthy sites rather than, say, facebook or twitter. Don't get me wrong though, there's all different age groups using those social networks. But, if you want to target the elderly to buy and discuss what they read to others, you need to make your content, newsworthy, and submit Press Releases that can get onto Google News, Yahoo News, MSN and other news aggregators.

GuruCreation, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  4. soulravager

Best Answers:
    On a second thought judging by his signature he is selling Sex Toys... Not realy any chance to get into Yahoo News heh

5. Selfhelp

Selfhelp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm one of those "older" people I guess since I just turned 60 this year so I may be of some help. First off.. people over 40 are definitely online big time, and we definitely use social media sites. I have a friend who just turned 75 and she's just getting her first laptop set up and is getting online. I'd say that most people over 40 probably are NOT on Myspace though. I tried it and all I got was crap from African women who want to get married to an American so I quit... but I am on Facebook and so are a lot of my friends in the same age bracket. You can target ads to specific age groups on there also, so it's definitely a viable medium. I'd look for forums that are related to your general niche also and start poking around and see if you can generate some traffic. And, I'd also try googling "over 40 forums" and see what you get. You might be surprised.

Selfhelp, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  6. soulravager

Best Answers:
    Oh right yea I totaly forgot that you can set Demographics in Facebook Ads definetly go for this and try PPC if you can get cheap keywords in google !

7. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Shoot, you're right... No matter what he does, they will be older and looking for new Sex Toys....lmao!

GuruCreation, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  8. AJP

AJP Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you agree that the layout of a web site must be simple enough to attract for people above 40 years old?

Also, I believe that contents must be relevant and of good quality. However, quality lies in the eye of the beholder.

My father likes to use stumbleupon a lot. Whenever he sees an interesting site, he will email us the link. He has a facebook but not Myspace.

Most of my father's university mates are still using yahoo's group discussion.

AJP, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  9. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    The rate of STDs among the elderly is growing more rapidly than those of youngster. This is attributed to their not practicing of safe sex and having multiple partners. When you have an air tank to breathe what is a little genital warts gonna hurt? So sexy toys for the elderly isn't out of the question on Yahoo News. You just have to find the right article to go with it. Like this page on yahoo news: Elderly STD? - Yahoo! News

Cylon, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  10. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    Plentyoffish.com could be useful - free dating sites collect lots of information including age.

1associate, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  11. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    I would do the research to see which sites they go to, and then place ads there.

In a nutshell.

But, for the most part, just about all of us go to the same sites anyway, so....

Like this board, as an example.

Perry Rose, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  12. Augra

Augra Member

Best Answers:
    I see "older" people on social media more than any other age group out there. If it's a social media site talking about business, they're there.

Augra, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  13. AJP

AJP Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I believe that "Older'' people do use social media more effectively than the younger people.

I am 32 now but I know those people who are in their 40s and above where they use social media effectively either for business or personal.

How about this? Lots of the truly well known internet marketers are in the "older" age bracket.

It is too bad that people can't appreciate them especially when they are fit. I mean not all of them but there are many people who are still fit and strong.

I have an offline business where my manager is in 60s. He has contributed much more whether with his energy or ideas compared to others in my business.

AJP, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  14. ramccluskey

ramccluskey Peon

Best Answers:
    It may be most important to note that many experts believe that the use of the Internet by older people will continue to increase in the near-term future. Today's investment in senior citizen marketing can position you favorable in an emerging market.

ramccluskey, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  15. stefffff

stefffff Active Member

Best Answers:
    try to use a specialized service... do a google search and i'm sure you will end up with some great websites offering to sell traffic for the audience you need! but that will surely cost you

stefffff, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  16. jaxonm7

jaxonm7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nowadays having an online presence is very important for getting your business or service out there. It will help us to develop our business by internet marketing outsource and will lead us for our better career.
    strategicsponsoring.com

jaxonm7, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  17. raycowie

raycowie Peon

Best Answers:
    Classified ads (find them on eBay too).

raycowie, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  18. slymarketing

slymarketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what you're selling. But classified ads are popular, eBay and Craigslist and various sites depending on the country. But I would also use Facebook. A lot of 40+ are using it.

slymarketing, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  19. tjsocr22

tjsocr22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest classified ads are probably the best way to go about it. Its really hard to market to older people online due to lack of technical skills applied from those users and the ability for them to access your website.

tjsocr22, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  20. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest to use social media, classified ads, press release and news are the best way if you're targeting old clients.

carol.prime, Apr 28, 2010 IP