one-way links

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by toddieg, Mar 11, 2004.

hi everyone,

i've been reading over and over that one way links (links that don't have to be reciprocated) are more benefitial to your PR than reciprocal links. i've been swapping links for some time now, and was wondering if anyone uses a one-way only stratedgy to get backlinks. if so, could you please chime in and let me know how effective it is?

ive wanted to test out these theories, but don't know how effective they are.

1. giving someone a link from a separate site, in exchange for a link to my site.

2. giving a webmaster a 2 for 1 deal (ie. 2 links back from separate sites, in exchange for just one)

does anyone else do this?

thanks,

todd

toddieg, Mar 11, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would say they are pretty effective... digitalpoint.com was built without reciprocal linking, and Google seems to think it's a pretty important site for just about anything we put on it. Although it wasn't done with any sort of link exchanges.

But the triangular linking (Site A and C are owned by the same person and site A links to site B and site B links to site C) seems to work as well. I've done some triangular link exchanges for a different website, and it seemed to work well... although I can't really say if it worked any *better* the A <-> B...

But it's better to be proactive with things anyway... even if Google doesn't penalize for link exchanges between two sites, that's not to say they might not do it in the future...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 11, 2004 IP
  3. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    good point shawn,

i also tend to notice a lot of webmasters who try to cheat you out of reciprocal links. for instance, when they link to your site, they put your link on either a page with 0 PR, a link farm , or a framed page that pulls the page from another source.... some of them even use PHP programing so it won't really count as a backlink....

shady....very shady

i guess the best solution is to do what you did with digitalpoint. build a free tool that everyone wants and the links will work themselves out naturally :p

-Todd

toddieg, Mar 11, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Running a network of sites under the umbrella - life's essentials - I get asked a lot and if it's a useful and working site with a theme matching (broad) I link regardless if they have actually linked to me or not.
    If I find something I find usefull for my visitors I link and tell them, again if they can't be bothered I dont care as long as its a usefull site.
    I also tend to do "intro" pages which is more than just a link it's a mix between an editorial, additional content and a large text banner giving the service linked to, my own slant sometimes with more content - some I make money most I don't - as long as it's useful to my visitors.

M

PS I don't care about PR if it's usefull, nice and functional I link or intro.
    PPS Visitors make money (one way or the other) not PR

expat, Mar 11, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I couldn't remember the original question.

But yes one way inbound links are preferable. And yes it would seem to me that a triangular linking arrangement would work very well. I've always been surprised that more people don't do it. Infact some people who engage in reciprocal linking will only participate if you link back from the same site they link to. Strange I've never understood why.

I have some sites with a lots of PR5 and PR6 pages that I have no particular interesting in getting more links to. But I would be happy to link from these pages to somebody in return for some links to sites that I am currently trying to promote.

I link from my site "A" to your site "B" and you link back to my site "C". A perfect arrangement and everybody benefits. I have no idea why it isn't done more often.

compar, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  6. expat

Best Answers:
    It takes imagination and a certain relaxed atitude to the Internet.

Control freaks after immediate and demonstrable benefit wont or cant do it.
    Tools like Arelis don't support it (I think).

The only problem I have or see with links from single pages including triangulation which are on a reciprocal basis is that one can no longer just drop or kill a page and redo it - one has to remember commitments.

M

expat, Mar 20, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    But the addition benefit should be worth the little bit of inconvienence or additional work.

Maybe we should write some administrative and checking software and start a triangulating reciprocal linking service. It might make us rich and famous. :D

compar, Mar 20, 2004 IP
  8. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    Bob,

Good call. I've been in need of that type of link exchange software for a long time.

If you need a beta tester hit me up :D

-Todd

toddieg, Mar 20, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem is I'm not a programmer. Is there anybody on this forum who could or would like to get involved in a project like this?

compar, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I had throught about it, but since it didn't have any use for me personally, I decided to not do it in case (in the off chance) Google decided to brand me as a reciprocal linker and somehow target me for giving people the tools to do it.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    So Shawn, write the tool and give it to some of us. We will keep your name out of it, but treat you as a silent partner. :cool:

compar, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  12. douglaslampi

douglaslampi Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed Bob,

You are placing a very good order! I'll have one to go as well - and be sure to sell it with an affiliate program!

After reviewing every link exchange service I could find, I'm certain that one of the sharper companies are already testing the beta versions of a One-Way Linking service, complete with automated linkchecker script and the whole works.

;-)

douglaslampi, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  13. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    relaxzoolander, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  14. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I went to that site and it sounds like they know what they are talking about. Then I noticed their page rank is 0. :eek: Perhaps it is a new site because their Alexa traffic rank is ~ 1.4 million.

tsptom, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  15. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think one of the reasons people are hesitant is because most of the current linking tools don't support it. That's why I ended up putting something together myself (and with Shawn's help from another post). Have a think about it, it is not that difficult. Instead of just having a DB with Link Name, Link URL, Email, etc you just add another field for Reciprocal Link URL. I then search this page for my URL rather than the Link URL. As long as you ask the potential linker what you want me to link to, and where my link will be placed it can be done fairly easily.

Now as far as releasing it to everyone. I'm happy to do it but I am not a coder and am sure there are holes throught out. Hey it works for me but then I haven't tested for things like when a user puts something that I don't expect. (just looking at the stripslashes command at the moment). It runs on PHP/mySQL and operates completely from the site. There's not third party to store the DB so I don't think it would be considered a link exchange service which tends to scare people. There's no automatic emailing, just forms to enter links, run a check links, a few reports and an update and delete.

Mmmm, perhaps I have accidently developed that free tool that we've talked about before that is good for link purposes that I won't have to worry about reciprocal linking. Ha Ha.

jarvi, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  16. 0BroadProspect

0BroadProspect Peon

Best Answers:
    link swapper http://www.link-swapper.com is already doing it both recipocal and NON-recipocal links managment and recipocal checking if needed, and it is FREE
    /BP

0BroadProspect, Apr 18, 2004 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That site is only a couple weeks old. I saw the site owner post an announcement that it was going live around the end of March.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 18, 2004 IP
  18. ggs04

ggs04 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been doing one way linking since December 2003 and it's producing awesome results in Google. :)

I also noticed that if you target a specific theme, there's a slight chance that the PR of the site that you're promoting could potentially gain more PR than you would expect it to.

Finally, it helps if you have more than 5 websites with different themes because nowadays everyone is doing so many different things. In the long run, you'll definitely benefit if you diversified your website portfolio.

ggs04, May 16, 2004 IP
  19. wsks

wsks Peon

Best Answers:
    i hear this mention a lot "I link from my site "A" to your site "B" and you link back to my site "C"

but what if "A" and "C" is the same website but different domain name but points to the same website will that still count?

wsks, May 16, 2004 IP
  20. expat

Best Answers:
    If A and C are the same whats the point.

Yes linking is about gaining "popularity" but also its about opening the horizon.
    There is one simple reason I will and cannot oblidge "contolled" linking.
    I will not have third party control the development.
    Sites change and so will the "resource" structure.
    A new site may have one or two resource page but not yet the full future resource structure as 10 resource pages with two or three links each just look plain ridicoulous and make the site unfinished.
    But 30 well chosen links will get any site of the ground specifically as for sure some will link back one way or the other.

All crawlers are nice and let you know when they cant find or activate a link which is all we use to verify.

M

expat, May 17, 2004 IP