1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One Step Beyond CushyCMS

Discussion in 'Programming' started by escocia1, Feb 7, 2014.

been developing websites since 1998 with help from a lazy mans tool (dreamweaver) and html/css/javascript
    managed to avoid all CMS so far, except CushyCMS, which i have used to give clients easy access to update html page content
    all my clients are small businesses in a developing nation so... small budgets and no need for enterprise level solutions
    now getting into responsive web design... fun fun fun (sarcastic tone)!

Question:

An important client is ready to contract a responsive re-design, woohoo!
    i have everything ready to go except one single aspect
    they are asking for Wordpress and i am once again wondering if WP is the way to go
    the sole reason they want WP is to edit text/images and ADD NEW PAGES without my intervention
    the pages are going to be custom designed responsive templates in html/css
    WP is overkill and i prefer the idea of a custom php/mysql admin panel
    basically letting the client add and then edit pages when they want to
    or something along the lines of a miniCMS or a CMSlite
    CushyCMS was a great solution for a few years but now i need to go one step beyond!
    just one step though, no more.

Any tips and advice much appreciated.
    Cheers!
    David

escocia1, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress might be a bit overkill for your needs, but it works, and it does what the client wants, so I don't see the problem, apart from you might have to learn how to modify WPs themes?

PoPSiCLe, Feb 8, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. escocia1

escocia1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, WP is popular, so what other options do we have? Perch and Statamic have been mentioned, or just a custom admin panel, which sounds like we would make our own miniCMS and reuse it whenever we need?

escocia1, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your client has asked for WP so you'd be giving them what they've asked for without having to sell them onto an alternative.
    Your client should be able to add pages without having to come back to you!
    I'd use WordPress for a 1 page sales job if I thought the client was going to want to update the content. They get a login, page management etc (and ultimately 1 page sales jobs never are only 1 page)

I can't see why you are fighting this one.

sarahk, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I must agree with @sarahk on that - why spend more time setting up and selling in something the customer doesn't want (I'm assuming the customer might already know or have staff that knows WP), when you can, simply, just agree with the customer and set up WP - it does what the customer wants and more, and can easily be augmented and modified later on to cope with different demands from the customer.
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of ready-made solutions, but WP does what it does pretty well, and it's very easy for the client to administer.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  6. escocia1

escocia1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i do not know WP
    the client does not know WP
    i do custom solutions and feel WP is going to be a pain in the b.
    3 main reasons/advantages (for client) between using WP and a mini cms or custom admin panel?

escocia1, Feb 13, 2014 IP
  7. Nick02

Nick02 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wp is simple to learn. When you'll learn it, you will love it!

Nick02, Feb 13, 2014 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Advantages for the client:
    WP is a well-known, open system, with a lot of support forums and easy-to-access documentation
    (compared to an in-house solution made by you / your company, where the client is more or less bound to use you since you've made the system)
    WP has a lot of functionality, which might or might be useful in the future - but it's there, and easily hidden from view if not needed, and can then be utilized if the client needs this in the future - without having to rewrite an existing system which might not actually have prepared for future needs
    WP is very easy to modify, for anyone with a knowledge of PHP and the ability to read source-code and documentation
    (compared to again, an in-house system where the client is more or less defaulting to using you and your company to provide changes, upgrades etc.)

I could mention more, but those, for the client, should be selling points.
    They don't give YOU much benefit, though, and I can definitely see the value of using your own system from your own revenue-points - although, depending on your relationship with the client, and whether or not you think they will continue using you in the future, there might be benefits to both providing an open system, which the client can do with as they please, or a custom system owned by you.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  9. escocia1

escocia1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks popsicle
    my idea of a custom solution is not one which ties the client into using our services in the future
    they can modify the custom admin panel the same as they can a WP based solution and use any developer to do it
    altho i do see how the WP platform will be updated more than a custom solution which the client would need to pay to tweak
    however, the custom solution would not be owned by me it would be owned by the paying client

yes WP has more features but at this point my clients are not asking for them
    rather than getting lost in WP i think my clients would be more than happy seeing just the 2 or 3 functions that they need to edit and add pages
    however WP is slowly becoming the de facto option for many developers so i can see myself going with the flow very soon
    thanks for your feedback

escocia1, Feb 20, 2014 IP