1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One site needs to rank in SERP for two cities

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Rick_R, Feb 27, 2006.

I've looked around the forum and couldn't find anything really related to what I'm looking to do, hopefully someone here has some experience with this.

I have a site for my consulting firm and it ranks very well for <my keywords> + dallas. I am opening a satellite office in LA soon and I'm trying to figure out a way to:

1. Use my same content, photos, copy, and articles I've written
    2. But still target <my keywords> + los angeles (since I'm offering the same services, just in a different city)

I know the duplicate content issue is tricky, which is why I'm shying away from using a subdomain. But I also know that I need a different url for inbound links as well as my title/meta/alt tags.

The site now has about 10 pages of well written and optimized web copy, and I'm adding new articles slowly, I'd hate to have to use my content for one city just to say the same thing in a different way for another.

Anyone have any suggestions/insight?

Thanks in Advance,

Rick

Rick_R, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. ltcobretti

ltcobretti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rick, the most common solution will be to create a subdomain at:
    losangeles.yoursite.com
    You can refer to your other pages for the services, but if they rank for "your terms" + dallas, then you will want to do what you don't want to do ;)
    Sub-domains were doing very well in google, but the recent update was supposed to weaken them a little. We'll see.

ltcobretti, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  3. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    If you take a look at all the major type content providers, they will use subdomains as seperating their content types.

It is a very common and effective way to do it. You would be much better off thatway, and re-writing some specific content targetting LA.

That way you have youre extra content and more pages to rank well.

But as you said that duplicate content filter is a tricky one.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 27, 2006 IP