1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One of the best Google Adsense tips ever

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by ZachH, Apr 18, 2005.

I just launched a site called Statbrain.com, it is a free service that estimates the number of visitors any site has.

When I launched the site I put it into a couple of forums for reviews in order to get some feedback. This was very helpful and I got tons of feedback. I made a lot of changes some of them right away and other changes were a bit more low priority.

One the low priority changes was changing the look of my Adsense ads. I’ve had several posts saying that the ads looked bad, because the ads were not in the same colors as the rest of the site. The ads were default Google Adsense colors.

Making sure that the Google Ads are an integrated part of your site and look like the rest of the site is not revolutionary news. It is an old Google Adsense tip and you might have heard the tip before, but I think this is interesting because this is an example of the exact result that a minor change like this can do. I have nothing to hide so I’ll give you the exact numbers of the effect of this very small change.

The numbers are based on 4 days before the change and 4 days after the change. Here are the numbers:

Before:
    Pageviews 882
    Clicks: 1
    Click through rate: 0.11%

After:
    Pageviews 1125
    Clicks: 8
    Click through rate: 0.70%

The numbers are not huge because the site was just launched, but I think they are large enough. This was amazing to me. A minor change like this increased my earnings 7 times – pretty wild.

I hope you can learn something from this, I certainly did. Let me hear your comments or if you have similar stories. It would also be interesting to hear if 0.70% is high or low compared to others.

Regards,

ZachH, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Congratulations, statbrain, but Google doesn't allow their publishers to post details about CTR , you should better edit your post.

fryman, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  3. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    0.7% CTR is not terrible but it is low.

Change the hypertext link color to blue (0000cc), keep your background as white and change the border color to this blue (0000ff). See what happens.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Have you tried using a banner under the text instead of having a sky?

fryman, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  5. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:
    I just tryed your tool and it didn't come back very accurate. Actually, it was way off. Is it up and running correctly?

It told me my average daily visitors was about 305. I actually get an average of 1600 uniques a day.

FTEGal, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:

Yeah, I wish!! I would be having a party at Hawaii right now...

fryman, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  7. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Yup I got some huge number. I think using backlinks as one of the measures will probably not work for coop members.

a389951l, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  8. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually the numbers are pulled from the domain name but not the sub-domain. For my http://carmenelectra.cjb.net website, it has shown the links proper (as far as I know and believe) but the daily visitors, it showed me are.... can you imagine...

12,961,954 visitors per day

I was about to faint, that I didn't even know that these many visitors are carmenelectra fans :D

But the number is this way because it takes cjb.net into consideration and not the sub-domain "carmenelectra". This is Alexa style, as far as I know. So I have sent you a feedback buddy, please use some different service to give the daily visitors number.

maverick, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  9. michael_angeloh

michael_angeloh Peon

Best Answers:
    Aloha ZackH...

Well I started a thread about the topic of "Web site Ranking" about a week or so ago and wrapped up last week with a comparative review of the only three website ranking services I could find or were suggested and your "statbrain.com" was one of them.
    (The other two being "alexa.com" and "ranking.com")

I thought the stats from all three services were pretty accurate and amazingly congruent. If your intrested in reviewing my results the thread link is posted below.

I appreciate your web site and wish we had more tools such as you offer to research traffic stats to our websites with.

Mahalos, Thank you..!

My Web Sites Ranking on the World-Wide-Web?
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=13127

michael_angeloh, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  10. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you're running a forum .7% is weak. A Good site can do at least 3% or more depending on industry and such.

yo-yo, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  11. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    12,042 visitors per day for a card games site of me.... But since people talked about the Coop...14,991 visitors per day for a local webdesign company (hilarious)...

Tried something that was new and not in the co-op...1,338 visitors per day... err.. if it has 50 I am quite proud!

No offense, but that numbers are useless for me.

Dirkjan, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  12. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    move your ads to the left and see what kind if ctr you'll get. i bet it will be better than now.

p.s. as was suggested before, remove your ctr numbers or else you'll get in trouble

Liminal, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  13. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Wow, I am impressed:

Estimated number of visitors for www.alldotnet.com
    1,874 visitors per day

By placing the ad on top left corner has in fact helped me a lot.

NeoGen, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  14. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Its all about targeting. People who read about webhosting are going to click more often if the ads are related to webhosting.

But don't use invisitext.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  15. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed a huge improvement when I started using 4 different color schemes like DP does. The colors match my website but they change from page to page so the ads don't just blend in with the pages.

justtara, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  16. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    StatBrain,

I sent you an email a few weeks back when you first debuted your site...my site's are still way off as well :)

Hope you get it fixed eventually :)

Brandon

AfterHim.com, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  17. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To help your Adsense CTR I'd have the results and Adsense on the results page along with some content to avoid result page violation with a link back to the form. Right now if I get a result I'd tend to use the tool again for another site since the form is right there. If I have to click on something to go back to the form I might chose another click option like the ads.

I think having a border around the ads segrates them from the site as ads. I'd go with a white border and use a large ad block in a more centered postion.

tbarr60, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  18. ZachH

ZachH Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips everybody, I've already made a few changes.

ZachH, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  19. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    My best adsense advice is dont get kicked out.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  20. swiss_gold

swiss_gold Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you hide the advertiser-url in your AS script ?

swiss_gold, Jun 15, 2005 IP