1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One Month After Switching From vBulletin To XenForo...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Feb 19, 2013.

1. fiasco

fiasco Member

Best Answers:
    ok sold - that's what I figured, I want to make the switch also.

fiasco, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for showing the decline in spammers! As that is all Alexa is relevant for.

ryan_uk, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  3. trigatch4

trigatch4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    9 months after switching?

I was pretty impressed with DP's results 8 months ago when they were posted. More large forums are switching to XF (most recently AVForums.com and I'm now considered of moving a big board myself but have a couple questions I'm hoping @digitalpoint can answer:
    • How are the stats after 9 months?
    • Pageviews were initially 5% down after switching to XF. Pageviews = Revenue. How did the XF switch affect revenue?
    • Do you think any of the initial traffic increase was misattributed to the XF switch? This is a webmaster forum switching forum software, so it was a newsworthy event that attracted a lot of links and visits itself. Just curious if interest in this topic spurred any considerable amount of that increased traffic.
    Would really appreciate a response!

trigatch4, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Page views aren't as valuable as far as advertising goes compared to unique visitors. Typically your highest value ads are the ones the unique visitor sees first. That being said, overall ad revenue was not affected either way.

As far as the initial switch attracting people because of the switch... That may have been the case for a tiny fraction of users initially, but I think you might be overestimating how interested people were about it. You of course will get a couple vocal people talking about it, but in the grad scheme of things it would have been a tiny fraction of traffic (my guess is that traffic would have never exceeded 0.1% on it's best day). Whatever it actually was, it's so small it's not even really measurable. We get more than 1 visitor per second from Google search 24/7... So even 100 people coming in a day to look at new site is more or less zero.

Still very glad we made the switch.

digitalpoint, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  5. GlobalHax

GlobalHax Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of making the switch this week. So glad i ran across this thread. So if you had it to do over you would still switch? How hard would it be to transfer my threads/posts and members? Is there anything extra i need to purchase (that you recommend) other that the xenforo license? Thank you

GlobalHax, Nov 18, 2013 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, I definitely would do it again if I had to do it all over. As far as extra things you need, it really depends on your site and what sort of things you "need". How big is the site?

digitalpoint, Nov 18, 2013 IP
  7. GlobalHax

GlobalHax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Farly small, i closed it during my last deployment and re-opened it clean slate last month upon returning. Roughly 200+ members 1000 threads. I have followed you and valued your opinion for years. When i left on this last deployment you was on vb came back and xenforo lol.

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, I'd say just try it out on a test set of data (backup of your live stuff) and see how it goes... and then you can more easily gauge what you feel like might be missing for your site and how to address that.

9. GlobalHax

GlobalHax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is it possible to do the switch while my vb site is still live, then after everything is transferred and in place make the switch?

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, you'd have an issue with things being added (like posts) while the import was happening, so probably not a good idea. But with only 1,000 threads, the import should only take a couple minutes, so...

11. GlobalHax

GlobalHax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you sir for the info. Looks like i will go ahead and make the switch. Just going to be a headache catching up on all the mods and plugins for xenforo and years on vb.

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Best thing to do is sit down and make a list of things you need and a separate list of things you want.

If you focus on the needs first, it will be much easier to find what you need here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

13. GlobalHax

GlobalHax Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks again buddy. Just things to make your forum stand out a bit. Glow username, who online, how to make adsence work, chatbox ect.... but not over board.

GlobalHax, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  14. CypherHackz

CypherHackz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After read your posts on DP and XF forum, I've made my purchase. And now I'm proud to be one of XF license owners. Goodbye vB! :D

-cypher.

CypherHackz, Nov 30, 2013 IP
    snakeair and digitalpoint like this.
  15. Canada Web Design

Canada Web Design Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there a sphinx plugin available for the forum, ever since I switched my vbulletin to sphinx using the DP plugin it takes a lot less resources to run the site.

Canada Web Design, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  17. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    i just had to stop by and say WOW 0 WOW This forum is FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT NOW

HOLY HELL ! What a difference from BLOATED VB !

sundaybrew, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  18. Owen.P

Owen.P Member

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to say that, although I didn't experience the speed of the site before this change, the speed now is phenomenal. It's been a long time since I've used a website that loads as fast as this one - both on desktop & mobile!

Owen.P, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  19. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting the info, it was interesting to read.

I like the new layout it is easy to read and navigate. I am a fan of vBulletin and I think this is much nicer looking and more pleasant to use then the standard vBulletin.

Good move and nice work.

averyz, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  20. datoneer

datoneer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Impressive statistic i must say, i didn't expect this to be honest. My forum is using vbulletin script version 4.2.2 (it has a ton of bugs) and i was thinking to convert it to xenforo but i'm not sure would that be a good idea... Is it better to fix all these bugs and stay with vb or should i move to xenforo? What do you think dp?

datoneer, Jan 8, 2014 IP