1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One menu for all pages

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by kgrad, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne VanWeerthuizen

Wayne VanWeerthuizen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do many designers use the CSS3 based solution for keeping a menu in its own file? The CSS3 method puts the menu into a menu.css file, and uses either the :before or :after pseudoselectors to insert the HTML code for the menu into the page when the client views it. Works with the current versions of all major web browsers.

Javascript could also be used in a similar way for the same task.

Nether using PHP or Javascript is as good as the PHP solution, for the general case. But it does avoid the need to mess with PHP or other forms of server-side includes, and it works on local files without having any web server involved.

Wayne VanWeerthuizen, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  2. Wayne VanWeerthuizen

Wayne VanWeerthuizen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I tried to make the CSS solution work, and have learned that it simply doesn't. The examples I thought I had seen before of it working actually used javascript to do the menu, but I was mislead by some nonfunctional CSS code that someone had failed to remove after attempting to do it this way. Wish I could delete my above comment, but since I can't I am just adding this afterword.

Wayne VanWeerthuizen, Aug 22, 2013 IP
  3. XxHALOGENxX

XxHALOGENxX Member

Best Answers:
    you could do that but i just copy and paste the css to each file

XxHALOGENxX, Aug 22, 2013 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First off, interesting to see a bump of a five year old thread -- though it's good to see Dan's name again, even if he left this Earth some four years ago. I can see him now up there arguing with Enoch over how Heaven's website is non-semantic inaccessible trash.

What the *** are you even on about?!? Generated content does NOT 'insert HTML', in fact it CANNOT do so at all. As such it cannot even MAKE anchors, so just how the devil would you use CSS 2.1 (since generated content predates CSS3) to make a menu?!?

Side note, given JS menus have ZERO graceful degradation anyone who would use it to make a menu needs a good swift kick in the crotch.

deathshadow, Aug 23, 2013 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:

Indeed. I still think about him often. It was nice to see him surface :)

N.

Nigel Lew, May 9, 2016 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.