1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

On site blog or Medium - which is better?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Alfred001, Jul 24, 2017.

Which is better from a SEO perspective and why, having a blog on your site or a blog on Medium, with each post linking back to your site?

Alfred001, Jul 24, 2017 IP
  2. Anthony20

Anthony20 Member

Best Answers:
    SEO-wise, a website needs an updated blog page, so the search engine will be consistent in crawling and indexing new pages. These indexed pages have an impact in the SEO campaign. If you want more referral traffic, you can use Medium.

Anthony20, Jul 24, 2017 IP
  3. Alfred001

Alfred001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, doesn't the crawler crawl everything on your site regularly regardless? Also, just new pages don't add anything from the standpoint of SEO value, do they?

I just realized that Medium no follows it's links, so that settles the question, but still, supposing that wasn't the case, I'm still curious as to what would be preferable, an on site blog or off site, like a Medium.

Seems to me Medium has an immense number of backlinks and thus a lot of authority, so a blog on a site like that would be of more value, no?

Alfred001, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  4. vsjess

vsjess Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not both?

vsjess, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  5. Alfred001

Alfred001 Peon

Best Answers:
    What's the logic behind doing both?

If one is better than the other (and I'd like to hear what the considerations are from someone who really knows SEO), wouldn't it make more sense to sink all your efforts into that?

Alfred001, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  6. Anthony20

Anthony20 Member

Best Answers:
    Search engines love those websites with updated pages. So if you have regular post on your website, it will show that it is updated, relevant and fresh.

Anthony20, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  7. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont see why you cannot use both ?

Spartan14, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  8. Alfred001

Alfred001 Peon

Best Answers:
    What I'm really looking to do with this question is understand SEO better, so I'm wondering what happens from a SEO perspective from having a blog on Medium (let's assume they don't no follow links) vs. what happens from an on site blog. Which is better and why. (let's suppose we can only go with one, again, this is an academic question, the purpose is to understand SEO)

Alfred001, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  9. jamez1515

jamez1515 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you need to both. You can share your article on medium and link it back to your site. It will help you more than having one option between blog or Medium.

jamez1515, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  10. buysoundcloudlikes

buysoundcloudlikes Member

Best Answers:
    I think both ways are beneficial for a website to increase traffic. It helps to improve the position of a website on Search engine.

buysoundcloudlikes, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  11. Alfred001

Alfred001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, Medium no follows links.

Again, I'm interested in hearing what the logic is. WHY is any option better than another FROM A SEO STANDPOINT.

Alfred001, Jul 27, 2017 IP