1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

On page SEO (inc meta's)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 2, 2004.

i am starting to get the opinion that keywords ,,infact all SEO is becoming obsolete..and on the page SEO is growing less in stature
    it seems that if you get enough links* to a particular page using the keywords
    you want ..then you will rank high, regardless whether or not you actually have these words on your page or not.
    I have seen high ranking sites that use NO Keywords in their Meta Tags..sites that rank high for words that are not even on the visible page etc..
    your thoughts plz
    G*M

enough links*= i have no idea how much enough is..but more than i have so far :rolleyes:

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Enough links with keyword rich anchor text does seem to be a prevalent factor in ranking well in the serps, but on-page seo (or content for that matter) is still important (unless you have 10,000,000 links?). For example...I removed 99% of the on-page text on the index page of http://www.hustlerpanties.com. Within a couple of weeks I noticed a drop in the serps, so I added the text you'll see if you scroll all the way down. That brought me back up (perhaps even a little higher?) in the ranks.

ViciousSummer, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    You have to do it all. But, once you get the on page stuff to a pretty good state, your time is (presently) best spent getting links

chachi, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  4. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember that Google even with "google bombing" (ie. the miserable failure project) you still only rank best in Google. On one of our sites up to about 60% of our search engine traffic doesn't come from Google.

Such Great Heights, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  5. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    I would rather rank best in Google and sacrifice rankings in all other SEs than rank best in one of the others and sacrifice my ranking in Google.

I still think on page is worth doing. it wouldn't surprise me if Google starts to shift slightly back to weighting on-page more highly (since it seems everyone is so caught up with manipulating with links)

crew, Dec 3, 2004 IP