1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OMG - Guess what a buyer just told me!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Sep 10, 2010.

That .025 <two and a half cents> per word (deep, deep and I do mean DEEP discount based on a massive amount of articles) is an outrageous price for content and I should be ASHAMED to charge such prices when "there are people in the world who are starving".

*stares blankly at her screen and tries to close her mouth*

Senobia, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  2. dorothydot

dorothydot Peon

Best Answers:
    Jeez-O-Flip! What a jerk! Guess you need to find another client. <sob, sob> And you were planning that around-the-world cruise based on all that wealth you were planning on stealing from that poor defenseless client, right? :-p

Nope - not someone I'd choose to work with. Count yourself lucky that you didn't get the contract!

But before you do anything else, ummm, pick up your jaw from off the floor.
    Dot

dorothydot, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  3. JamesW2983

JamesW2983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's important to realise that where we have writers of differing quality and standards, the exact same can be said for clients!

Certain clients will have a fleet of membership sites and businesses that could quite easily be earning tens of thousands of dollars on a weekly/monthly basis, and therefore paying $2k, $3k, $4k, per month for content creation is merely a drop in the ocean. On the other hand you have the client who simply syndicates as many articles as possible from the article directories and requires a further 1000 articles per month to be written, and all this is intended for adsense fodder. They are not in the same income bracket as client number one and, therefore potentially, have no idea about the "higher end" of the market. This doesn't make client 2 a bad person and they are of course entitled to their opinion.

I would say that if you do your due diligence (basic research) prior to approaching a client on this forum, you will have a far happier time! Just check out the basic wording of a client's thread. Do they de-value writers? Are they using phrases such as "easy work", "bulk jobs - discount"? This simply tells me that this type of client has no respect for writing, and there is no way I am willing to start a crusade to "re-educate" this client. As mentioned, they are entitled to their opinion, and I will simply avoid this client. Check out their previous posts, feedback and their signatures. Build a mental picture of what type of person they are. Are they the kind of person you would like to work for? If not, don't waste your time arguing the toss with them! Are they going to change your mind about what is an acceptable rate? I think not, and therefore you are unlikely to change their mind either!

I totally agree that writers should be earning a decent rate, hell, I am from London and do this full-time as a career. A decent salary here to support me and my family is at least £40,000 a year ($65,000ish). So I always need to be earning in excess of $1000 a week, minimum, and I will never achieve that with the vast majority of the rates banded about this forum. With that said, due to me doing "research" beforehand I have made at least 3 solid business relationships from this very forum that have kept me in "the manner to which I am accustomed" (such a snob!:D). Regular and ongoing work, and also providing me with new clients who are typically friends or business associates of theirs. I have no need for them to issue me with an "I-trader" for the work I provide, because these are serious individuals who are able to offer work for many years to come (should I of course want it).

Different strokes for different folks. It's just a case of finding the diamonds amongst the rough! However, researching your clients first is a must in my opinion.

Cheers
    James

JamesW2983, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  4. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I absolutly agree with you James, that's what the market is like. Well explaind and your advice "just go on and don't waste your time" is the best way to treat with such people.

monfis, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  5. drees5761

drees5761 Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing. You get what you pay for in this world and he isnt going to get much!!

drees5761, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    That would be you at those rates.

mcfox, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  7. JamesW2983

JamesW2983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! Well said

You know there is one practice I often see here that always makes me cringe. A client starts a thread in the CC sub-forum and states that they are looking "quality" and are willing to offer $1 per 500 words. The OP is then followed by numerous posts from "writers" (and I use that term loosely!) berating the client and stating that this is ridiculous. Whilst I agree that this is ridiculous, I tend to conserve my time and energy, but make a mental note of the name/forum handle of the client. They go onto my "never work for" list.

Additionally, by making comments on these types of threads - what type of impression are you giving to your "real potential clients"? Not very good, I would say! Even Mr/Mrs $1 per 500 words client is entitled to their opinion, however, it is an opinion that we will never share.

The way you act on a public forum is typically a mirror image of how you would act in the "real world". Do you argue with every single person who offends you in the real world? I seriously hope not, as you would have little time to do anything else!

I should add Senobia, none of what I have said is specifically aimed at you, or any other individual for that matter - these are simply my observations in general and, once again, my humble opinion.

Cheers
    James

8. currenz

currenz Peon

Best Answers:
    Not very good indeed. Personally, I stay away from writers who make such comments/threads.

currenz, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  9. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, love - he approached me. Not only did he approach me, we played email tag back and forth for a week while he tried to get me to go as low as he could by upping his project details. He got pissed off in the end when I said, basically, I've done all I'm going to do for you. This offer is a fraction of my normal prices. Want it? Speak now or kindly refrain from wasting any more of my time.

No, that wouldn't "be me at those rates". I offered him "those rates" because he dragged it out for a week and genuinely seemed interested. I just tried to make the guy a deal, based on the size of the project.

No. I tell them to F off, F directly off - without passing GO, without collecting $200. I sometimes tell this to people who take haughty tones on Internet message boards as well.

Well, again - you have misspoken. Each and every one of my clients that have approached me through these forums have made a statement to the effect of, "I agree with your posts on quality vs quantity and getting what you pay for." Every.single.one.of.them. Except Mr. Feed - The - World, Write - For - Free.

Really...then why, pray tell, are you even entertaining threads that are obviously so very beneath you by taking the time to read them from start to finish?

Ah, a guilty conscience speaks the loudest. Don't sweat it, love! : ( <-----this is me, pretending to care. Might I offer you a stepping stool to come down off your high horse for a bit?

Whoops! Missed one, did ya? *laugh*

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Senobia, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  10. JamesW2983

JamesW2983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, well, well Senobia! (by the way this entire post is aimed at you)

I quite clearly stated that none of what I have said is specifically aimed at you...and I did not write this comment due to a "guilty conscience". I actually wrote it, because I really did want you to personally know this - and the reason for this is because I have actually enjoyed reading your threads, and indeed many of your posts, over the past few months. However, your above dissection of my posts is an exception to the rule I guess!

You have even taken my 2nd post as a personal attack against you, whereas, I have quoted the members here I am "discussing" these issues with. I apologise, I didn't realise that when you start a thread at a public forum that all subsequent posts must be personally aimed at that person who started the thread! I thought the point was to open a discussion, which involves people giving their opinions.

My opinion is simply that, my opinion. It doesn't mean it is right, it doesn't mean it is wrong. It is simply the input I wish to give to a public discussion. Does that mean I am getting on my "high horse" or striving to educate people I believe "are below me" - Of course not!

I actually posted in the hope that you would provide some healthy discussion and that I could hear your opinions on the matter. Alas, no such luck!

Cheers
    James

11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the sort of thing that happens when writers start talking quantity discount before the client is truly vetted. Anyone wanting bulk pricing might get a lower, starting rate to test the waters and make sure everyone is happy with each other. But, they will not get a guaranteed bulk price without some history and money crossing the table my way.

I think writers need to consider too, that writing 100 essay-style articles for the same client, will not take less time to write than 100 articles for different clients. The one possible exception being producing one original and a number of rewrites for article submission.

The promise of guaranteed income has become a low-ball buyers' newest strategy to drive prices even lower. I hate to see writers falling for it. Next time stick to your guns from the beginning.

YMC, Sep 10, 2010 IP
    korki4 likes this.
  12. kisforkarla

kisforkarla Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm confused by the arguing in this thread. I honestly believe, and do correct me if I am wrong, that Senobia's intent for posting was to vent about a frustrating situation with a client. Why is it such a big deal when a writer vents about clients in a forum for writers? We've all had bad experiences with clients, so why then does sharing these experiences with others always seem to result in a three page thread about low balling clients. I am of the opinion that we all have something better to do with our time, if not then our efforts shouldn't be wasted in this thread but on improvement and promotion of our services.
    Senobia, sorry to hear about your wasted time with that client. When I posted my first service thread here, I was told that $1/100 words was "too high" and that other writers could provide the same "quality content" for less. In these past months, I have learned a tremendous amount about relating to clients. If I lived near you, I would definitely meet you for a drink, coffee, or some retail therapy. =)

kisforkarla, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  13. Whippet75

Whippet75 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For that price, you may as well just spin original articles !

Whippet75, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  14. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah.

Which is another reason he went into orbit. He didn't want to pay anything in advance.

Senobia, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  15. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Kis - it's because you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you negotiate with clients in an attempt to keep them happy and turn them into a repeat customer, you're kissing ass and undermining the entire writing profession, to hear some of these guys tell it.

On the flip side of that, if you charge a high price and refuse to negotiate, you're a heinous bitch that nobody in their right mind should deal with.

Eh. Some people!

Signed: Senobia AKA "The ass kissing, undermining, heinous bitch that nobody in their right mind should deal with" (now playing both sides of the field to appease the masses instead of just a scant few)

Senobia, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  16. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you want me to refer him to you? I would gladly.....

Senobia, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  17. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I start talking, the subsequent posts usually are. No surprise there, sir.

Senobia, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let your outraged prospect and the "writers" who cater to his ilk find each other and play for pennies. Meanwhile, we and our "wrong minded" clients will be the ones earning enough to contribute and actually help those starving people he seems so concerned about.

YMC, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  19. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you'll find these clients everywhere. Once a buyer added me to gtalk and told me that he has a job for me. The pay is $50. I said it's fine. But I found out as we talked that he wants 5,000 articles original and with photos.

omarabid, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  20. Canyoudigit

Canyoudigit Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people are just cheap and think that their money is gold. Dont let it hold you back.

Canyoudigit, Sep 11, 2010 IP