1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OMG.. $500 Hosting Bill?!!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sbongo, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some digging up and it seems that i only used 64gb of bandwidth.
    [​IMG]

Thats seems to explain why i didnt receive any emails because it wasnt exceeding in the first place.Then why did it charge for the exceeding?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is more than just bandwidth from web, you need to include FTP, Mail and other services which you are running on your server (whether you are aware of them or not). The services which CPanel controls, it would track bandwidth but there are services which it did not track and may not be linked to any web sites.

Compare what you have with Bandmin and ask Servint to give you the log files from your VPS port or whatever they use to track your bandwidth usage.

eddy2099, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. kabuer

kabuer Peon

Best Answers:
    it is from dreamhost, right?

kabuer, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  4. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I did the same thing at Servint. Running proxies witch the bandwith used did not show up in WHM or cPanel, only in the customer portal. You have to check the customer portal for the correct bandwith usage.
    Its written in the contract with them that they can charge you and that you have to make sure you know how much you use. They are covered. I knew this so I used to check cPanel only. DUH!! Nobody but me to blame.

I have to add that the customer support service are excellent at Servint.

login, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  5. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    From the portal i couldnt even tell which is causing the traffic.So its not possible to get any alerts when exceeding the bandwidth in this case?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  6. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have to ask them about that.

login, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  7. japindian

japindian Peon

Best Answers:
    WOah 500 bucks? Dude how much bandwith do you use? Maybe your getting ripped off because unless your using like 5k+ it really should not be that high

japindian, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  8. Wyla

Wyla Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can tell this guy just read the title and posted...

Definitely pay the bill. If you've only used 70gigs of web data, the means you used the rest on FTP,mail and what not as someone else has stated. This seems like far too much a jump and think there may be something wrong with the tracking data.

Contact the company and ask them to check your bill and logs to double check and see if everything matches up.

Wyla, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  9. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hosting is kind of like a cell phone...you get your plan and if you go over you get raped on the charges! Just like with cell phones, you get your minutes and you go over and they charge you like $0.45 or more per minute. Usually cell phones companies do not notify anyone if they're about to go over minutes.

I know it sucks to pay that much. I would be pissed my self. Some hosting companies when you sign up make you choose. Either to get billed if you go over and have your site stay online or not bill you and make your site go offline.

Talk to your host. See if you can arrange payments or something. This is how they make money. They love when people go over bandwidth. Just like cell phone companies love when you go over your mintues.

netpox, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  10. Rob T

Rob T Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really think that people are starting to get a very distorted impression on how much bandwidth ACTUALLY costs, not to mention the infrastructure required to provide you with that bandwidth due to the huge amount of overselling going on right now. There are a number of webhosts out there today - most I'd say - that are vastly overselling their service. Just because you can get 800GB from Powweb for $6 doesn't mean that is the real COST - if all of their customers started using even 100GB per month, they would go broke.

If you think that $1 per GB is expensive on OVERAGE bandwidth, you have a very distorted view of what these companies actual operating expenses are.

By the way, do you know anyone that has ever tried to USE the huge amount of bandwidth available from most hosting companies? Usually, you get a nice email from customer service saying that your site is causing the server load to spike, and you need to move to a dedicated server or that they simply can't handle a site the size of yours. I've seen it many, many times...

Rob T, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  11. tschrock

tschrock Peon

Best Answers:
    They probably assume their advanced hosting customers understand bandwidth costs money and if you use too much you mean to. I would NEVER want my sites taken offline because of a technicality. If you used that much bandwidth, you should have made some money from it I hope...

tschrock, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  12. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope.I didnt make any extra money from it

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  13. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    well that isn't ServInts problem.
    It is time for you to clean out your closet, go through all the sites you own that are costing you more money to run then they make you, and sell them.
    That way you you can keep the profitable sites, and even buy better sites.

bobby9101, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  14. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    Im still following the thread. Update when you have anythign new to post.

Kalyse, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  15. askcybersteve

askcybersteve Guest

Best Answers:
    Well that fault lies with all the dishonest hosting companies out there offering rediculous amounts of bandwidth for tiny amounts $4.00/pm in the hope that the average person never gets near that level.

This is probably a large reason alot of clients have no idea about bandwidth costs.

So say thanks to the sharks.
    cheers

askcybersteve, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  16. IeaAuctions

IeaAuctions Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like it's time to switch hosts, pal.

IeaAuctions, Feb 1, 2007 IP