1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OMG.. $500 Hosting Bill?!!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sbongo, Jan 22, 2007.

Just received my bill today.
    OMFG? The total adds up to $500USD!. They continue to supply me with bandwidth even my bandwidth limit is reached. I thought they should have suspend my acc and notify me and asked if i want to spend $ on bandwidth.My previous hosting company works this way very well.
    [​IMG]

I want to move out of Servint. Any other good hosting companies notify you when your limit is reached?

:mad:

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This realy sucks ... it's like 6 month of a dedicated server with 1500 gb of bandwidth

did you actually pay them ? try to report read there TOS and see how it work , if they mention that you have to pay for excess then ... its ur fault u had to read there TOS ...

commandos, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. giovanni

giovanni Peon

Best Answers:
    You must ahve used up alot of bandwidth...

giovanni, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  4. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it was my fault but it was too much of a lessson.They should have their customer's interest and at least notify my bandwidth is exceeding,not popping out a $500 bill at the end of the month :mad:

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  5. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is ..

and you are right they should have notify you and its how it work with me , they allways notify when it reach 80% then an email each 6-8hrs ..then the account is disabled when it reach 101%

commandos, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  6. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:

Where did you host your sites at?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Was it a shared / VPS hosting account? How much was the regular monthly rate, just curious?

Clive, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  8. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you did go 455Gb over the limit, didn't you think to check this out. You must have noticed that your traffic was up. No reason to move, just be more proactive.

ServerUnion, Jan 22, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  9. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I didnt have the time to watch my stats everyday.Do you think i should stay there and have nightmare everynight?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  10. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    it was a vps

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  11. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    either way, you have to pay for the bandwidth not matter where it is hosted. Talk to the hosting company about alerts, there is nothing we can do to help you here...

ServerUnion, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  12. Daz

Daz Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I doubt that you dont haev the time to check your stats at least once a day / week..
    Anyways:

www.layeredtech.com
    For dedicated servers anyways, undoubtedly the best.

Daz, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  13. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont need the companies to have whatever free blah blah,i just want them to notify me of the exceeding bandwidth.Is it really so hard?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  14. chaoz

chaoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think that is very expensive for a hosting. phew

chaoz, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  15. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    sbongo, if you are using ServInt's VPS hosting, you are supposed to set your own bandwidth and quota limits for each site in WHM. The system notifies you when the limits are being reached, but it won't do it unless you set the limits. It's in the account setup section.

$500 worth is one heck of a lot of bandwidth! You get 300 gigabytes of bandwidth for $49. You must be running videos on your site.

TechEvangelist, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  16. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    To me it looks like you've been a victim of a tricky webhost. Anyway, if extra monthly charge for a service exceeds 10-20 times the standard price, I would definitely consider talking to the company about the alerts they should have delivered to you via email pefore paying the bill. (most control panels I've ever used with dedicated servers were configured by default to alert account holders about their bandwitch limits to be exceeded (it's cheap to send an email alert afterall, isn't it?) Have you got access to any settings related to server alerts you might have changed to cancel these?

Clive, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  17. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    The problem appears to be that the default bandwidth setting for new sites in WHM is "unlimited". Unless you set it, it can get away from you.

$500 is a tough lesson! A hosting company really should notify you when your total bandwidth is about to be exceeded.

TechEvangelist, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  18. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I did set my bandwidth limit in WHM for the sites that is exceeding bandwidth.

Are there any implications if i just ignore the bill and move out?

sbongo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  19. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay,

I am saying this from a completely..objective point of view. I am not sure if there have been any cases as such that have been taken to court on excessive bandwidth, but this is very similar to another case, maybe you can google it:

Inter Foto v Stiletto

Basically, the claimant had some term in the contract that eventually the courts held to be excessive and unfair. They loaned out some photo prints and for every day it was late, they would charging something like 30x the industry standard.

Isnt 1$ per GB stupid.
    I wouldnt pay, even if you were negligent of the fact, they are being unfair with the terms.

Kalyse, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  20. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    They file an action to recover and you will most likely end up paying more in legal fees. If they follow it up that is. How large is the company.

I think that they are being extortionate. (UCTA) Unfair Contract and Terms Act would probably protect you if you were in UK.

Kalyse, Jan 22, 2007 IP