1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Old Websites

Discussion in 'General Business' started by zigster, Jan 25, 2017.

I have a number of websites that I built years ago. They were originally part of my business interests and/or hobbies. I had some content. At one point, one of them did very well with some of the content. Had a PR ranking, some ad revenue, etc.

Now, they have been neglected and don't have anything. Is there any value to sites that are 9+ years old? Guess it is more of the domain given the sites have some original content, but a new owner would likely want to rebuild them.

Not sure that it matters, but one has a domain authority of 14/100 and page authority of 27/100.

If there is any value, would sell. Otherwise, will just sit on them another couple of years before I consider doing something with them again :)

zigster, Jan 25, 2017 IP
  2. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's still a value within the old content and if you want to rebuild the sites it will be better rather than creating a new one.

KylieSweet, Jan 25, 2017 IP
    zigster and robinymym like this.
  3. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, there is value on your websites, if you put some! A lot of websites are older than yours, but they do pretty well. Just stuff your websites with fresh content, and tweak them a bit to make them more appealing and great looking.

Anitasol, Jan 25, 2017 IP
  4. DynaDotRep

DynaDotRep Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more. Whether you want to sell your domains, or keep them; you only do yourself a favour by updating them.

DynaDotRep, Jan 26, 2017 IP
  5. GAdsense

GAdsense Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to get in touch with a pro whom you can trust. Share the domain names with them, let him research or maybe share possible ideas upfront. If you have a budget, develop them and then sell it. Otherwise, hire a pro to do all that for you. If you feel like you can trust someone who's been here since 2006, you can PM me for more details.

GAdsense, Jan 26, 2017 IP
  6. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Update your old sites, as people have suggested. That would make them relevant and new once again.

Milliardo, Jan 31, 2017 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone seems to be misguiding you by letting you believe you are sitting on a pile of wealth. Let me give you a dose of reality... The reason why you abandoned your projects is because you didn't see any value in them. So why years later would you ever believe for a single realistic second that they have become something of value?

It may sound harsh but you most likely will get 0 offers of 0 dollars for all of them combined. If you want to sell a web site the potential buyer is interested in a revenue generated, reliable organic traffic, and up to date content. 0 revenue, 0 traffic, and 8 year old crap = 0 dollars. You couldn't even give away your abandoned project for someone to take over.

It's sad but it's true... I at one time had a "successful to me" social networking web site. I had thousands of members with 10's of thousands of unique visits a day. I made thousands off from it. Years later after it being abandoned for now a decade I may have a handful of logins and curious clicks but it isn't something I can sell despite the domain being 15 years old.

NetStar, Feb 1, 2017 IP
    zigster, malky66 and Arick unirow like this.
  8. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to update your site as everyone recommended here!

robinymym, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  9. zigster

zigster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback. Really like that response NetStar, good point, but not entirely valid. I built the sites originally as a hobby and never tried to monetize them. Still, nothing to brag about, but I don't think there is much value and I don't think I am sitting on a pile of wealth. That is interesting that your social networking site with that many visits is now worthless. Guess these would be really worthless.

I might try to get something on there just for the heck of it, but I have plenty of other domains that are more relevant to what I am doing today that I will concentrate on.

Thanks everybody!

zigster, Feb 10, 2017 IP
  10. Chris-

Chris- Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, definitely consider selling them. Aged domains are worth a lot more than new ones, if they have had quality content and no violations of search engine rules etc. because the search engines give them more traffic just for being aged. This is due to the fact that so many new websites appear, then don't contribute much and don't get renewed again the next year.

Chris-

Chris-, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  11. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This is actually not the case. A few years back the age of a domain name was taken into consideration. Not anymore. Today it's all about uniqueness, quality content and external back-links.

More here: http://rapidwebseo.com/matt-cutts-does-domain-age-really-matter.php

qwikad.com, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  12. Chris-

Chris- Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK, good to know, although talking with someone who has been selling domains for years, he says that it's much easier to sell an aged domain for a higher price than a new one.

Chris

Chris-, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  13. Sherlyn Shah

Sherlyn Shah Member

Best Answers:
    Old websites will have a high domain page authority if ranked better.

Sherlyn Shah, Feb 22, 2017 IP