1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Old post, worth reading or not?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by dpac852, Oct 31, 2016.

Sorry guys.

I am new here and therefore I am so excited to read all interesting posts as I can and being involved. However, when posting to the old post I didn't realise that's ages ago granny post.
    : (

My 2c, will forum admin be able to add "auto closing" on posts older than 2 years and in which hasn't been bumped in last 30days, so it helps silly newbie like myself stop stepping into the hole.

No excuse, still my fault. I will look closely to the posted date..

dpac852, Oct 31, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  2. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, it is fine to create post in very old thread. However, there are few things we need to know:
    1. Do not reply to an old thread with 'meaningless content'.
      Meaningless content means post with no value to conversation. Writing 'yeah, I am agree with you', 'I think you were right', etc, is few examples of meaningless post.
    2. Add more value to the discussion
      Reviving (bumping) an old thread is considered to be 'bad behavior' for some peoples. However, most people would not mind to see someone replying in very old thread with valuable content. Example: There is an old thread about a company and you would like to tell everyone if the company is now moving to the new location. Other people would be happy if you revive an old thread and let everyone know if the company is now having new address at specified location.
    If you would like to revive an old thread, here are few tips for you:
    1. Let everyone know if you already aware if your post would revive (bump) an old thread. You could say "I know this is very old thread...."
    2. Let others know if you have write in the appropriate location. Example "I know this is very old thread but I believe my post is suitable for this thread. I think... "
    3. Allow staff to edit, delete or move your post in appropriate location. In the end of your post, you could say "It is fine for the moderator to edit, delete or move this post in other location if my post is not suitable for this thread".
    4. Sometimes it is better creating new thread rather than bumping very old thread which no longer have valid information for the topic being discussed.
    Few suggestions
    These suggestion may have no relation to this conversation but I believe other may find it useful:
    1. If it is possible, check Creation Time of each thread before writing post in any of them.
    2. At least, check creation date of the last post in that thread.
    3. It would be great if you could check the whole thread before replying it with new content. Other may have written the same questions/answers/opinions.
    4. Use Search Function. There is search form in upper right section of this board. I recommend to use it first before bumping an old thread. Believe me, once you use it, you would really like it. Use it as often as possible.
    Last, I think it is wise to not ask or answer question which have been answered by others. Especially if the person you were asking or answering is no longer active in this forum. However, you could share your opinion if it really have value to others.

Arick
    Edit:
    If you were asking: 'Is it worth reading an old thread', I would say "Sometimes it is worth reading an old thread". However, If you were asking: 'Is it worth replying an old thread', I would say: "Not sure. I don't like writing in very old thread. I would prefer creating new thread rather than reviving it."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Arick unirow, Oct 31, 2016 IP