1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Old Computer Salvage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrinceTaz, Jan 7, 2016.

So I have four old computer desktops that I no longer use, the parts are still good. I want to ask the best way to modify these so I can make the best computer I can with what I have. Im going to list the computers best I can.

1. Dell Computer (Can't find the name)
    • a. Serial No: 2KJWKC1
    • Model No: DCNE
    • Mfg. Date: 022007
    • On the back where the ports are, it says: "2KJWKC1"

2. HP Pavilion p6710f PC
    • Serial No: 4CE0480X02
    • Product No. BV530AA#ABA
    • Model No. p6710f
    • AMD Athlon || 640 Quad-Core Processor
    • 4GB DDR3 system memory
    • ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics
    • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
    • 1TB hard drive
    • SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
    3. Intel Computer
    • Only thing written on this is these numbers: C66020-001
    • And 272356
    • P/N: 91.97020.B50
    • S/N: 54017468
    • "Intel Celeron D Inside"
    4. Dell Dimension 4600
    • "Intel Inside - pentium 4"
    • Service Tag: 235JQ31
    • Express Service Code: 4544281549
    5. I also have a 1TB extra hard drive that I found in the garage

So basically what I am asking the geniuses on this forum, is to please help me out with switching and rearranging around parts the make the best desirable computer that I can make with the parts that I have. I know it seems like a long and tedious process and a lot of work for someone you don't even know or will benefit from but please I'm really asking some help. I'm new with computer hardware and how it works compatibility wise, thanks a lot.

PrinceTaz, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  2. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your description is not even complete, upon search on some information that you provided, I can only find your query cross-posted into another forums (Can't blame you for that). I can't imagine if it is a motherboard you are talking, or a desktop, or a laptop. Besides, the last time I built my own computer was 2008, and before that was in 2006, and before that was probably 2002, so I kind of lost a lot of technical knowledge.

However, based on your item description #2, I would assume that they are all desktops, not laptops or only motherboards. If so, you can try to open the case and see if the components are still complete: do they still have motherboards, does the motherboard still holds its processor, RAMs, any soundcards/videocards (or are these built-in), hard disks, etc. You need to check also if these components are still working, or if they are dead for whatever reasons are. If some of these components are dead, you might end up chop one that is working and stick to another.

The best device you have in your collection up there, I think, is #2 (HP Pavilion p6710f PC). You can try to put your 1TB hard drive into it, and use it as a desktop. I am not sure about the others. Your Dell (#1) is manufactured in 2007, I guess it is not too old for Windows 7, lest for Linux (Try Xubuntu, or Mint). But you would probably want to buy SSD drive, or upgrade the RAM, if you want to install 7. Your Intel Celeron D (#3) might not be that old, too. A quick google search tells me its CPU speed is around 2-3 GHz, which allow you to install 7 even if your RAM is only 2GB. Not sure if you want to play games, too. Some games take a lot of resources and I don't have such a resource to waste. But you can try some Linux games such as Xonotic, warsow, or redeclipse, I am sure these will work. Your
    Dell Dimension 4600/Intel Inside - pentium 4 (#4) is probably the oldest. Unless you delve into Linux, and use it for any kind of servers, I am not sure you can make use of it.

th.sigit, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The first one is this: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/2KJWKC1/configuration - old, mostly useless.
    The second one seems like the best one - depending a bit on which Celeron D model you have in number 3.
    The fourth one is probably the oldest, and on level with the first one (probably even worse)

I would probably look to upgrade #2 - you might be able to use the RAM from #3 in that, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Would be easy to check, though - just pop the ram out of #3 and see if it fits #2.

#2, even though it's probably the best one of the bunch, isn't really up to date on anything - it will run most programs, even Windows 10 quite fine, I'm guessing, but it won't run any new games or anything like that. Unless you double the RAM (minimum) to 8 GB, and invest in a new graphics card, it won't even run older games well.

It all depends what you're planning to use it for.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 10, 2016 IP
  4. wootriffic

wootriffic Member

Best Answers:
    the age of these computers, there is no reason to hold onto them.
    the amount of power they suck up for the limited amount of processing power simply isn't worth it.
    about the only good they will serve is removing parts from them such as the power supply, lazer from the optical drives for projects you can find on instructables.
    the rest you could try and salvage the gold, copper, and aluminum for other projects or to sell.
    I hate seeing old computers go to waste since they work, but other than making a router/firewall box with them, just for fun, the power draw makes them undesirable since the same thing can be done with 5 volts and/or a raspberry pi. Your cell phone likely has more raw processing power than all those combined.

wootriffic, Apr 8, 2016 IP
  5. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As i see u can upgrade to the HP Pavilion computer with AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-Core, 4gb of ram and dedicated graphics card. The pci express slot is gen 2 so is gonna do nice enough job. As for the video itself you can buy some GTX660ti or 560ti(much cheaper). I had also old computer with core 2 duo E8600 and put it 8GB of ddr2 800 ram, Radeon 7950. Works well for old computer.

VerdinaNET, Apr 21, 2016 IP
  6. Sionechin

Sionechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Get rid of 1, 3 and 4 and upgrade your HP Pavilion p6710f PC.

Sionechin, Nov 27, 2016 IP
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    What do you want these computers to do?
    They will still do everything they did when they were new.

Kerosene, Dec 30, 2016 IP
    HARRY256 likes this.
  8. HARRY256

HARRY256 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would pretty much agree on this one.
    These computers are not so old.
    You can sell them on ebay for some pocket money or use them as home theaters, downloaders, or whatever you want to practise from instructables. Believe it or not, I would love to give my office an old computer just for having the classic windows/office bundle and checking my emails.

HARRY256, Dec 30, 2016 IP
  9. cjhanson1905

cjhanson1905 Peon

Best Answers:
    My laptop has suddenly packed in and I'm looking to get rid of it securely as there is some sensitive info stored on there! I've been recommended CSI Lifecycle ( csilcs.co.uk ) has anyone else used these or know of any others?
    TIA for any help!

cjhanson1905, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Is it the computer that has died, or the harddrive in the computer? If it's the former, any proper IT-company should be able to manage a safe disposal. If it's the latter, you might need a professional secure erase company, as they will need to either degauss the drive, or shred it if it's a flashdrive.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 21, 2017 IP