1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok theres this domain I want

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Maxso, Jan 28, 2009.

Ok so theres a .com domain up for grabs but im scared because the .net name is taken by a site that will be familiar to mine. There copyright is the same as what mine would be so i don't know if I should get it or not.

Maxso, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  2. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    It would not be copyright, it would be trademark. If it is a well known site, don't bother. If it is not well known then you may have some hope, but certainly do a trademark search first. It also would depend on the name in relation to the business itself. For example, dating.com for a dating website would not likely meet the criteria for a trademark. Without the specific terms (and no, I am not asking you for them) any answer you get will be fairly generic.

By well known, I mean known by people in the niche that you are trying to get to go to the site. Under trademark law, a name does not have to be well known by the general public to be considered famous.

druidelder, Jan 28, 2009 IP
    mjewel likes this.