1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ok, me and my friend have a bet....

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by whiteblue1942, Mar 17, 2008.

1. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am in love with your avatar.

guerilla, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    Does intelligent life exist (or still exist, or will exist) in our universe. Probably. Will we meet them within 42 years. Probably not. 42 (41 and a half actually since the bet is BEFORE 2050) years is not enough time for us to develop transportation that will allow us to travel very far, so we won't be able to search many places. Assuming the timeline for the other intelligent lifeforms is further along than we are, the chance that they are will find us in the next 40+ years is slim. From our own observations, intelligent life density in this region of the galaxy (let alone the universe) is probably low. The time it would take another species to get here on a direct route is low. To stumble across us is even higher.

bluegrass special, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  3. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    Some believe they have already been here, which is a possibility.

webwork, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  4. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    Possible, but I don't think so. If they have, they haven't shown themselves enough to win the bet and I doubt the progress we will make in 40 years will be enough to change their minds on that.

bluegrass special, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  5. Rankhyips

Rankhyips Banned

Best Answers:
    Whoever wins the bet, there's a problem: The dollar will not exist anymore. ;)

Back on topic: How selfish and utterly stupid is it to think that we're the only intelligent specie in the universe.
    In fact, considering that so many believe that we're alone in the universe, "but there is a God" of course and we kill each other for it, I doubt we're an intelligent form of life. Maybe half-intelligent at the most.

It's full of life out there.

Rankhyips, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  6. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the answer to Life, the Universe and Everyhting IS 42. Maybe Slartibartfast has been busy after all.

e10, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  7. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, $5 won't be worth anything in 2050, so it's a lame bet. Second, how do you prove that we've found alien life? I mean we'll probably have had men on Mars by then (I believe NASA is already working on manned Mars mission to occur in the next 25 years), so we'll be able to see if any microbial life exists there. Is that proof enough? We do not have the technology to reach the distant galaxies that could contain intelligent life yet, and chances are we are still thousands of years away from developing it. The fact is we have to find a way to cheat the basic physics of our universe. We need to travel faster than the speed of light. In fact, we have to travel much faster, perhaps millions of times faster. Warping space-time seems to be the answer, but exactly how this is done is something we are not close to solving beyond a theoretical level. So that means the alien life will have to come to us, since aliens could be millions of years ahead of us in terms of technological advancement. Although there have been thousands of "sightings," we do not yet have any official confirmation that alien life has visited our planet. Therefore, I find it unlikely to happen within the next 42 years.

davewashere, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  8. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    There is definitely life on other planets. Just not other people (or aliens) like you may think.

immortality, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  9. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    There's plenty of people who would beg to differ...

However, our culture (product of the media) has made this such a laughable/silly topic, that few would ever give it a serious thought.

I talk about this with my dad once in a while, and he has a good analogy for it. It's like when you drive through the ghetto, do you ever stop your car, get out, and check stuff out? Hell no, you keep driving. It's probably the same way with them. Consider what's going on with our planet is right now... Our violent nature with the wars we have, pollution, etc, etc... We are like the retards of the universe.

webwork, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  10. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By the kind of behavior Humans have shown over th ages, it seems so true...

gauharjk, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  11. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We wouldn't have to actually come in contact with them to know they are out there. All we have to do is receive a signal. A signal denoting the prime numbers or PI to 50 places would do. By the time the signal gets here, Assuming they are using regular radio waves, The civilisation that sent it may not even exist anymore.

Given the vast expanse of space and the trillions of stars out there it's highly implausible that out little planet orbiting our tiny star in this particular unremarkable galaxy should be the only place harbouring life.

But as the late great Arthur C Clarke said "Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering."

stOx, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  12. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    The bet is that we will discover them by 2050. There are four ways this could happen.

1) We travel and meet them. Not likely in the short amount of time given that we haven't even sent a person to the next planet, much less out of the solar system. And our probes aren't going to make it anywhere in that time.

2) We get a signal. Possible, but not likely. First, it assumes it is a signal we would understand on a carrier wave we monitor. Second, 40 years is just too small a window for it to be probable.

3) They are visiting us and crash. Improbable. First, chances are they wouldn't crash, and even if they did it would have to be such a spectacular crash that governments couldn't cover it up.

4) They decide to land and meet us. Unless they decided to enslave us, why would a highly advanced race want to meet us? Again, not likely.

I'm not saying they've never been here, but that is not the bet. The bet is that we as a race will "discover" them by 2050. I'm not saying it's not possible, just not likely.

bluegrass special, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  13. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I say your avatar has nice tits:D

We might not be able to pick them up with our technology. Who really knows, if their out there, what kind of technology they use

clinton, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  14. kaung

kaung Twitter @KaungKo

Best Answers:
    *Just a reminder to most posters.
    This thread have been moved to general chat mian category to "politics & religion" sub section.
    where this rule applies now unlike before in random chat

kaung, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  15. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    Uh?

Check out this crash video - what is it? It skips like a pebble on water.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oM4gboHAgR0

webwork, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  16. cashmachine101

cashmachine101 Peon

Best Answers:
    If I had 1 million dollars I would bet that first contact with humanoid aliens will be made this century. Also, we will discover that Mars once supported life in the past within 50 years.

cashmachine101, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  17. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you do see aliens you'll probably forget by that time.

windtalker, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  18. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you think $5 would be worth by then and two will you still be alive by then

soniqhost.com, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  19. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    You could probably buy a lollipop if your lucky.

webwork, Mar 23, 2008 IP