1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Oh My look what Dmoz Accepted to Their Listing.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by paidhosting, Apr 29, 2006.

1. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    In the form it had, I absolutely agree with you! However, we have new guidelines that allow editors to turn that category into a useful resouce. What you see now is a category in transition. When we're finished with it, either it won't be disgusting or I won't be an editor.
    Umm... so people can be educated about the condition, so pedophiles find it more and more difficult to hide in plain sight, so normal people become aware of the code words and little details that could make the difference between the success or failure of the pedophile's attempt to weasel into a child's life to destroy it?

Surely you don't think sticking your head in the sand and pretending pedophilia isn't a problem will make it all better. Pedophilia has been a problem way before DMOZ was conceived. An informed parent can protect their child much better than a non-informed parent, don't you think?

I think so too, as do the new guidelines.

compostannie, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  2. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    the first post caught my interest and was not about pedophilia. I do not care about pedophilia and did not read that topic. (I think the whole Adult section is useless and anyone trying to "fix it" is wasting their time.)

Anyway, I was interested what editalls would do with the category mentioned by the topic starter. Well, as it seems now, someone removed the most content rich site that was there...

vlasta, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, the title of the thread doesn't mention any specific category. If you don't want to read this, then don't. Just click out of it.
    I agree with you that's it's useless, I'd love to see it go away but those in charge have told us that's not going to happen. Adult will stay AND the pedophilia category will stay and for the time being there isn't a thing you or I or anyone else here can do about it.

Unfortunately not many people are willing to "waste their time" trying to "fix it" so I suppose you could possibly be right. Maybe it should have been left listing resources for pedophiles... But why in the world would that be acceptable to anyone other than a pedophile? I'm not willing to let it go, call me stubborn, or dense or whatever you want, but reality is, umm... real. I don't mind wasting my time if it saves a child or makes finding prey a little harder for a pedophile.

Face it, this topic is taking over most of the threads in the DMOZ forum. Maybe when someone mentions it you should just click out... retreat and pretend the world is a perfect place and the children you love aren't in danger. Denial works for some, I suppose... I'm off to waste some more time.

compostannie, Apr 30, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  4. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said, Annie.

minstrel, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  6. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you might be misunderstanding what the category's intended purpose is... it's not designed as a section for posting material appealing to pedophiles--atleast based on a quick search of dmoz--instead it seems to be a place for news, articles and research related to pedophilia.

I don't see anything wrong with them having a section like this--imho it is good to raise awareness and not keep quiet on issues just because they are sensitive ones.

Actually, with topics such as pedophilia, I believe it is in our best interest to have a spotlight shining so people are aware of the issue.

When people aren't aware there's a problem, not many put forth effort to fix it.

kkibak, Apr 30, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh the site seems to have been removed, i wonder if i would get a bonus and get few of my sites listed for pointing out some mistakes done by editor of dmoz, or it could be that i am banned from dmoz.

Oh well my sites listed on DP and thats worth more than being listed on Dmoz.

Go DP Go.

paidhosting, May 1, 2006 IP
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    There are site "bans" - see red URL notes
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/editall/#urlnotes

There are IP address "bans" - see blocklists
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/meta/features.html#blocking

If your sites or your activities are covered within the criteria of either then being banned is possible. Note that any editall or meta that rednotes or blocklists without justification is guilty of abuse and may be removed for that so it is highly unlikely anyone would risk their own account without clear justification.

brizzie, May 1, 2006 IP