1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OFFLINE Marketing Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by ThoughtPunk, Jul 7, 2009.

Has anyone executed any offline marketing strategies to drive traffic to your websites?

For example, targeting niche groups, etc.

If so, I would like to hear some input from you guys.

Rock on...

ThoughtPunk, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  2. dude91

dude91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't done it yet ,but I have an idea in mind !

dude91, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  3. FilthyRich

FilthyRich Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Well i put an add in my local newspaper. I was promoting a debt offer and i was really surprised at the results. I made about $400 on the first day i did it. This was a while ago though but am sure if you find a niche and a quality converting CPA offer you should be golden!

Thanks

FilthyRich, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  4. ThoughtPunk

ThoughtPunk Active Member

Best Answers:
    @filthyrich

Nice! I thought of that before but never acted on it. I think that might be a good idea with a targeted market.

ThoughtPunk, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  5. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have and had several bumper stickers made for my 2 SUVs and then asked my friends if they wouldn't mind putting it on there vehicles as well... I have about 69 vehicles or so that have the sticker somewhere on their vehicles.

The stickers are bad ass though... Not just another jack-in-box sticker.

GuruCreation, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  6. super.affiliate

super.affiliate Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey, I did a google search and thought you might find this useful:

60+ Unique Ideas for Marketing Your Business Offline & Locally

Talk About Your Business

One of the best and most inexpensive ways to market your business locally is by word of mouth. Word spreads fast and this can be beneficial for freelancers who are trying to gain new clients and increase their popularity. Talk to people who you run into at your local Starbucks, supermarket or library and tell them a little bit about your business offerings in a casual way. You will often find that, if done right and subtly, this is a great way to gain new clientèle in the local area.

Advertisements in Free Local Magazines/Newspapers

Another way to get the word out regarding your freelance business in your local area is to take advantage of free local magazines/newspapers available in your vicinity. You will most likely have to pay to have an ad placed in these periodicals but the good news is that large numbers of individuals will read the items since they are free.

Billboards and Other Types of Signs

If you can afford to do so, taking out an advertisement on a billboard is an excellent way to get yourself noticed in your local area and gain clients for your freelance business. Just think of how often you notice signs and billboards in your local area when you are driving around town and sitting at traffic lights. Advertisements in the way of billboards or a more economical type of sign may bring in quite a bit of new business for your freelance venture.

Business Cards in Local Establishments

You may also find it useful to post your business cards in local establishments. Places such as coffeehouses and libraries will often have a notice board where individuals can post flyers, business cards and ads. Many individuals view these boards to see what new services are posted and putting your business card up there might be another good way to draw in new business.

Branded Freebie Items

Handing out branded free items is a great way to etch your business name into people's memory. Purchase useful items that people will keep and look at multiple times per day. Items such as refrigerator magnets, mousepads, calendars, and key chains are all items that are seen multiple times throughout the day. If you hand out refrigerator magnets, hopefully every time potential clients open up their fridge, they will see your magnet. Next time they need services that you offer, hopefully they will think of you and give you a call. Make sure to have your logo, contact information, and web url printed out on the freebie item.

Yellow Page Ads

Although the Internet is a commonly perused resource for information people still use the good old Yellow Pages. Putting an advertisement in the Yellow Pages stating your particular freelance business and services offered is a good way to put your name out there.

Local Activities and Groups Websites

Many cities and towns will have one or many websites dedicated to information about the particular town. The websites may focus on events in the area or other similar types of information. Since these websites often need to make money to stay afloat they will try to get advertisers to pay to post ads on the site. Posting your freelance job offerings on a local website such as this may also promote your business and gain new clientèle.

I'll Scratch Your Back if You Scratch Mine

Try approaching local shops and offering your services in return for free promotion of your services. For example, if you are a muralist, offer your local pediatrician a free mural in exchange for your business cards being placed out on the front desk. If your mural is good, just think how many clients you would get from that one free mural. That free mural would pay for itself in no time. One mural could keep you busy for the rest of your career (because once you get clients, word of mouth keeps your business going).

Try Your Best to Get Interviewed by a Radio Station or Newspaper

Try to get free PR by asking local newspapers and radio stations to interview you. This free PR will bring customers left and right if it goes well.

Movie Theater Ads

Do you know those ads that run across the screen before a movie comes on at the theater? Well, those ads are paid for by local companies. Contact your local movie theater to see how much these ads run for. Maybe this would be worthwhile and bring you some business.

Your Local Cable Channels

You have probably seen the ads that run on your local television channel(s). Sometimes these ads are rolling while they play music. Enquire with your local cable company to see how expensive it is to run an ad.

Take Advantage of Bored Bus and Train Passengers

Most bus stops have a spot to list an advertisement. People waiting in the bus stop are usually bored out of their minds. Give them an advertisement to focus on while you have their attention. Maybe when they arrive at work, they will give you a call hire you for a project. Another option is to purchase an ad on the side of the bus or on the inside of the bus.

Print Out Funny and / or Unique Bookmarks

Promote your business in a fun way by printing out funny and / or unique bookmarks (with your biz info on it as well) and place them in book stores, libraries, and coffee shops.

Schedule Speaking Engagements

Although we all have a shy side, if we are going to have a successful freelance business, we have to learn to swallow our pride and network with others whenever we get a chance. Try to get your foot in the door to host presentations or seminars. The more people you can get in front of the better. You will become known as the expert in your field in your local area and your business will boom. Also, you should try to find out more about professional groups in your career field. Do they exist in your area? If they do, you should join and network amongst your peers. You would be surprised at how many jobs can come from these professional groups.

Write a Column in Your Local Newspapers and Magazines

Try Submitting your great ideas to local newspapers and magazines. Publishers are always looking for content and it is a great way to get the word out about your knowledge in your specific field.

Do Something Controversial for the Free PR.

Try doing something controversial to get free PR for your business. Don't do anything too crazy though"¦I don't want to hear about you in the news.

Utilize Friendship Marketing

Find local businesses and co-market each other's business. The idea is to include each others' promotional material in outbound orders, such as flyers, coupons, business cards, or freebies. One site to help you find sites interested in such partnerships is Mom Packâ„¢ . However, if you want to use friendship marketing locally, you will most likely have to mail, phone, or visit potential marketing partners to create the partnership.

Another idea for friendship marketing would be to offer customer referrals in exchange for displaying your business cards. An example of a situation where this would work is with a graphic designer offering to sending all of their customers to a specific printing company in exchange for that printing company displaying that designer's business cards. It is a win - win situation for both parties.

Use Your Car as a Moving Advertisement

We have all seen the cars driving by with company names and contact information printed all over them. This is nothing new, plumbers and electricians have been doing it as long as I have been alive. There is no reason why you can't employ this same tactic. You can either go the expensive route and have your company information imprinted on your car or you can go the inexpensive route and get a professionally printed magnet to stick on your car.

These magnets come in pretty large sizes and run about $35 to buy one.

Ask Local Friends and Family Members for Help

Just because you are not in a business relationship with friends and family, don't let the opportunity to utilize your friends' resources slip away. Friends can provide you with referrals, introduce you to prospects, endorse your services, display your business' literature in their homes or offices, and distribute or publish your business information. Just remember to use tact and don't go over the line and be too pushy or salesman-like with your friends and family.

The Radio Can Be Your Friend

Believe it or not, the radio can be more effective than television advertising and often more cost effective too. If you decide to advertise on the radio, then I suggest that you find professional help to develop a radio campaign for you. However, radio is very seldom likely to work as a sole medium for an advertising campaign unless you put a significant amount of investment into it. Trying to buy one or two commercials a day in a run-of-schedule rotation is throwing your money away if the results you expect are lines of people at your door. You need more repetition and a great promotion to draw that kind of notice.

Stay in Contact with Past Coworkers

You should stay in contact with past companies that you worked for as an employee. Make sure to let them know that you are available for outsourced projects that might pop up.

Create Your Own Locally Published Directory Online and / or Offline

Create your own local business directory to get to network with other local business owners and to get your name out there in a unique way.

Get Involved in Social Events

Social events are a great place to network too. Just don't overdo it. Just be friendly and there will be an appropriate time to mention what you do. Some examples of social events are church, synagogue, and school events.

Your Mail and Packages Too

On all of your outgoing packages and mail, you should include your Company Name, tagline, and website (if you have one). Just purchase a stamp or labels and this will be an easy task and a cheap advertisement that might get noticed"¦you never know who will see it and give your business a chance.

Participate in Trade Shows

Get a leg up in your industry by participating in trade shows. This is a great way of getting your name out to industry leaders.

Sponsor a Local Sports Team

Sponsoring a local Little League baseball team or other sports team is a great way to get noticed. Your company name all over the kids' uniforms is a lot of recognition for your company AND it feels great to do as well.

A CD-ROM Business Cards

Why not be different and create a CD-ROM business card. Pass out your CD-Business Card at trade shows, seminars, fairs, or anywhere. You can even send them in a direct mail piece.

A Business Card as a Guide

A great idea is to create business cards that unfold into a mini-guide. Your business card can be a guide that helps your potential customers with field related topics. For example, a graphic designer's card could open up into a mini-guide for printing, fonts, colors, etc.

Business Card Magnets

Business Card Magnets are a great way to keep your business card handy and useful. I always need more magnets, and I keep all of the magnets that I get. Maybe other people do.

Come Up with an Elevator Speech

An elevator pitch is a short speech that can be delivered in the time it takes you and someone else (poor soul) to get from the ground floor to the top floor. You need to come up with a short speech that in that short amount of time will pique the interest of whomever gets stuck with you during that ride. Even though it is called an elevator speech, that doesn't mean that it can only be given in an elevator

Offer Your Services for Free to a Local Non-Profit Charity

Why not do something good and at the same time get some great coverage. Provide a free service to a local charity in exchange for some sort of promotional coverage of your business. For example, if you are a Graphic Designer, offer to design a charity's brochure for free. In return, you can ask to have "˜Thanks to ABCDEFG Company for Donating the Design of this brochure". This is great coverage and great PR. Call the local newspaper and media and tell them about your good deed. You could get some great coverage and get a good feeling from doing a good deed.

Sponsor a Charity Event

Sponsor a local charity event and get recognition for your company (along with the resulting good feeling of helping a charity). Call the local newspaper and media and tell them about your good deed. You could get some great coverage and get a good feeling from doing a good deed.

Offer Free Consultations to Potential Clients

People love to get things for free. Utilize this knowledge to your advantage. Sometimes just offering a free consultation will land you the job, however, sometimes it won't. When a client meets with you, you already have your foot in the door, so I think that it is worth the risk (if you are just starting out that is).

Offer Free Demonstrations of Your Services

Visit local businesses (that are related to your services) and offer to provide free demonstrations and lessons to their customers. Promise that you won't schmooze the customers and they will probably take you up on your offer. After all, by providing your free demonstrations, more customers will come into their store that day. Make sure to have leaflets, business cards, flyers, and promotional freebies available for everyone.

Yuck...Cold Call Potential Customers.
    I don't like cold calling, but I have done it. I wrote an article about cold calling a few years back. You can refer to it right here.

Create a New Local Holiday

Who says that you can't create your own holiday? I never seen or heard about a law against this. Get creative and make a holiday up that promotes your business' services. Some examples of a new holiday are "Free Ice Cream Day" or "Give Art to a Friend Day". The most important part of this process is to publicize, market, and announce your new holiday. You will get noticed and hopefully receive new customer contracts.

Every Customer Gets 2 Cards

How about paper clipping 2 business cards onto your invoice or correspondence with a personal note asking your customer to keep one and to give the other one to someone who could use your services. If you have a good relationship with your customer, he or she will be glad to help.

Bribe Your Customers

There is nothing wrong with a little bribe, right? Well, in that case, why not offer your customers an incentive to refer new customers to you. Why not offer a percentage off your customer's next (or current) order if they refer a friend to you. Now your customers will have a reason to talk about you and your services.

Find an Agent to Promote You and Your Services

If you are having way too many problems finding new customer leads, then maybe you should consider finding an agent to promote your services. When your agent finds you a client, they you will need to give your agent a percentage of your profits.

Sponsor a Local Contest or Event

A good way to get local recognition is by sponsoring a local contest or event, such as a fair, an art show, or a play.

Customer of the Month

Award a "Customer of the Month" every month and see how excited each customer gets. Award a certificate or plaque that can be then hung in your customer's place of business. The award can remind them of your services as well as become an attention getter for visitors of your client's office.

Call in to Radio Shows

Call into talk radio shows and somehow try to shamelessly plug your business without appearing as if that was what you were calling for. Free PR is always fun.

Get Listed with Trade Associations.

Sign up with relevant trade associations and get listed in their offline directories. I would list these trade associations but since I don't know what field you are in, you will need to find these on your own. Good luck.

Free Note Pads with Coupons

People eat up free note pads because they are so useful to have around. An innovative way to market your services is to pass out free notepads to people that have ads intermingled every ten pages or so. Your sales will almost definitely pick up with this marketing strategy.

Direct Mail Campaign

Create a mailing list yourself by looking in the phonebook, using an online directory, The Chamber of Commerce, The Better Business Bureau, or by contacting trade associations. Or you can purchase a mailing list from many online sites. A well designed and written direct mail can help your business brand awareness and even result in many new customers.

Create a Unique Organization.

You can try creating a unique local organization appealing to a target group of members. Many associations and organizations have been created to market a business. You can either create a group to target all business owners or create a targeted niche market such as publishing. Get creative, have fun, and get noticed.

Connect Yourself with Local News or Current Events

A good way to get into the local newspapers, magazines, radio, and TV is to tie yourself in with current local events. Find a news story that you can connect to as a freelancer. For example, if you are a freelance dietician and you see a news report about the increase in obesity amongst children, you just found yourself a good story. Issue a press release to local media and get yourself on local radio shows and in newspapers and magazines as an expert in your field.

Stand on a Corner with Balloons and a Sign

Now you are really getting desperate. This might actually work, but your pride will be left on the street corner.

Nominate Yourself for an Award

There are many awards given by many organizations that accept self-nominations. Ask your local Chamber of Commerce or look around the internet. Nominate yourself and then once nominated, publicize it with a press release. Once you are awarded the award, you should then send out another press release. After you win, you can now write about yourself as an "Ëœaward winning freelancer'.

We live in a fast-paced, high-tech world and it's critical to your freelance business that you're able to market it efficiently online but you should always keep in mind that there are a number of potential clients that aren't as web savvy as you are. Offline marketing of your freelance business is as important now as it ever was, so if it's an area that you aren't comfortable in, start learning. Take a marketing class, read a book about how to promote your business or talk to people who have been self-employed for a long time to get tips on great ways to market your freelance business without using the web.

Source: http://www.allfreelance.com/freelancing_blog/2008/01/24/60-unique-ideas-for-marketing-your-business-offline-locally/

super.affiliate, Jul 7, 2009 IP
    Chapps likes this.
  7. basant257968

basant257968 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi ya i got an idea but u consider it or not .daily u doing the same thing in ur site
    but next time do something differently.
    becoz people are only consider when ur site is simple or it may be rocking .
    do the things differently................

basant257968, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  8. PressGuy

PressGuy Banned

Best Answers:
    i have the Url of my website on my cars rear bumper

PressGuy, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  9. Computer Technology Ltd

Computer Technology Ltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

I run a retail computer store and to be honest the best value and possibly the most effective local advertising we have ever done and would recommend is the simple 'A-Board'. Whenever we stick up an a-board on a high traffic that moves slow roadside we get a good number of calls and so we make good profits from making an aboard and displaying it.

If we had 50 aboards in good spots I reckon I'd never need to bother with anymore advertising locally at all. So far we only have 3, but often they need replacing. . .

10. Pinpointcomm

Pinpointcomm Banned

Best Answers:
    I recently had the unluckiness of seeing the bad side of off-line marketing, being a resident of a third world country I've seen a lot of black hat techniques being utilized without much of a hassle, the most recent one i saw where an advertisement was placed in plain paper offering home based jobs with 5 to 10 $ per hour for just answering emails and submitting information on blogs etc, in essence the entire paged was filled with nothing but spam AD's upon Ad's no real detail as such.

Pinpointcomm, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  11. YoungMoulah

YoungMoulah Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I too do offline advertising. Over the last year I have built up quite an offline advertising empire. It's pretty simple to set up and very little work is needed to maintain it.

The best thing YOU can do is jump on the band wagon and start. You'll only wish you didn't start sooner.

Start off by advertising in some free places like computer technology ltd just mentioned. Posters work quite well if you're just starting out. If you know people who have businesses and will do you a favour. This is a huge bounus. A guy I know owns a small football ground and he let me put up a side board around the pitch, I just had to pay a guy to fit it and make the sign.

YoungMoulah, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  12. proson

proson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't do much in offline marketing... but you can stick sticker to your car, print your website on T-shirts join some relevant exhibitions, giving out flyers, etc..

But offline costs heal a lot more than advertising online...

:p

proson, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  13. iwillguide

iwillguide Peon

Best Answers:
    we can get more results from offline marketing if you use "flyers" ..just print attractive and distribute in public places ..u get lot of traffic ..also use business cards
    good luck

iwillguide, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  14. tharshan

tharshan Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah. its good method , but hardest !
    i tried something like banner promotions , stickers.. and got some good results !

tharshan, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  15. Thomato

Thomato Peon

Best Answers:
    Doing offline marketing for a website is a bit stupid, cause you have to say something like this: Arrive home, turn on your computers and visit my website!

just my 2 cents

Thomato, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  16. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have some large magnetic signs that I put on the side of my truck. They are about 2 feet long and the letters about 1 inch tall. They are pretty easy to read while driving down the highway.

I also have business cards that I hand out.

~kev~, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  17. Wolf_hsac

Wolf_hsac Banned

Best Answers:
    I've done a lot of offline advertising, mainly through flyers and letters through peoples doors. Have a few good ideas in mind, if they work I'll let you guys know

Wolf_hsac, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  18. ThoughtPunk

ThoughtPunk Active Member

Best Answers:
    rock on guys and girls you guys definately gave me some good ideas. I see alot of flyers around town along with other marketing materials for websites. I totally didn't put two and two together. lol

Thanks for the advice!

@super.affiliate - thanks for your post!

@ everyone - I like the ideas of business cards and flyers. I think they are great for target niches. Putting them at tarteted shops might work out nicely. thanks

ThoughtPunk, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  19. Pinpointcomm

Pinpointcomm Banned

Best Answers:
    Offline marketing is fine, if done properly dont mislead the people looking out though :)

Pinpointcomm, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  20. UrWrong

UrWrong Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't done it yet, but I have some few ideas.

UrWrong, Jul 9, 2009 IP