1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ODP / DMOZ How Many Active Editors?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Babe, Jul 4, 2010.

Im just curious, of the current 85,662 stated editors, how many of those are frequently active?

I know that this might be a difficult question to answer, but im sure that many people including me would love to know the answer.

I would sincerely appreciate some editor feedback on this.

Babe, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    85,662 is the number of editors that have been active since the inception of the project. There are currently under 10,000 active editor accounts and some of those are a lot more active than others. Pareto rulez!

jimnoble, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  3. Babe

Babe Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see from your signature link that you are infact a genuine DMOZ editor, so many thanks for taking the time to respond and answer my question.

Im actually quite embarrassed to say that I had to look up the meaning of that particular phrase.

Edit (sorry, more to add on this): I've just found these two official DMOZ pages:

dmoz.org/edoc/editall.html - (At the time of writing this post that page displays a total of 271 listed metas)
    dmoz.org/edoc/editorlist.txt - (At the time of writing this post that text document displays a total of 4708 listed editors)

I noticed that the metas are also included within the editorlist.txt, so at the time of writing this post your own DMOZ document is basically telling me that you have a current total of 4708 editors, (271 metas, 4437 editors) that have privileges to edit the ODP.

Are those two pages updated regularly?

Do they reflect a realistic impression of the current total of DMOZ editorial staff?

Or are those two pages old and outdated?

Also, let's assume that those two pages are infact correct, my next question would be, how many of those 4708 editors are frequently active?

Edit (again): Right, ok, that DMOZ document just changed from 4708 to 4709, that makes its self explanatory, (ouch).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    Babe, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by frequently?
    What do you mean by active?

If we had that data readily available, what would you expect us to do with it?
    What would you do with it :)?

Some editors do over 100 edits most days. Some others do just the minimum required to keep their accounts alive - just one edit every 120 days. There are no quotas or 'norms'.

It'd be a lot simpler to assume that Pareto applies.

jimnoble, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  5. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    dmoz is #1 - I just wish they were a little quicker in deciding yes/no. :)

11114444, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  6. Babe

Babe Peon

Best Answers:
    Im very sorry to say, but 4709 is not 10000, I wish that you were my bank manager, I wouldn't mind having my bank balance rounded up in that manner.

The fact is that DMOZ is misleading its users:

85,662 - editors shown on the main page.
    4708 (just dropped again) - actual current editors

Now let's assume that half of those are active on a daily basis. (I think that is more than a generous estimate)

That gives us 2354 editors, thats a bloody long way from the 85,662 that I first thought they had.

What happened to them all?

There must be something seriously wrong to lose 80k+ editors.

Babe, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  7. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find that my under 10,000 answer was correct :).

I didn't check the exact number and you did. If you'd done that a little earlier, we could both have saved some time.

jimnoble, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  8. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty ungrateful response to your feedback & trying to help. lol

11114444, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  9. Babe

Babe Peon

Best Answers:
    Im learning all the time, I only just found those DMOZ editor list pages after you had replied.

I asked a simple question, to which you gave a very glorified answer, which was infact very misleading to anyone reading it.

Babe, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  10. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    babe - have a little respect for people trying to help you. If you can figure it out on your own, great. If you don't like the help, love it.

11114444, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  11. Babe

Babe Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not being rude (disrespectful: having or exhibiting a lack of respect, rude and discourteous), I do appreciate the replies.

I just don't understand why that editorlist.txt link wasn't thrown in my direction in the first response, instead I was lead up the garden path into believing that the figure was more around the 10k mark.

I don't want to argue with anyone, I now have the legitimate answer to my original question, so please do enjoy the rest of your day.

Please don't take this as a personal attack Mr Noble, as that was not my intention.

Babe, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So, erm are you suggesting that it's OK to be misleading so long as you are correct on a technicality? So it would also be safe to say that There are currently under 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 active editor accounts and some of those are a lot more active than others. Pareto rulez! When in actuality it would have been FAR better to have listed something closer to the truth then doubling the number? I guess that is just 'yet another example of the double standards of the ODP'

You could have saved EVERYONE reading the thread a LOT of time had you just kept your made up numbers to yourself.

Qryztufre, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some people want to simply come and list a couple of sites then list their own and leave. Posters on here have done that.

But things change in all our lives, sometimes we have plenty of spare time, sometimes work loads change, domestic situations change, sometimes people drop out from collecting stamps or beer mats or whatever. People get bored or have just had enough ( I collected coins for about 10 years but don't anymore). Those things affect DMOZ too.

edit to add
    My understanding of the editor total on the front page is to show that it is a collaboration project and this is the number of people who have collaborated at some time to make it happen. Also some of those editors will return, unless there is a particular reason for not allowing an editor to return past editors can and do apply for reinstatement.

Anonymously, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  14. Webzcas

Webzcas Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to make a comment. The open directory aka DMOZ allows anyone, from any background to apply to be an editor. Contrary to what appears to be a popular myth on some sites and forums, new editors are accepted daily.

If you really truly want to make a difference and improve the directory, then why not apply to become an editor? This would be more beneficial to the directory than attacking it at any given opportunity.

Webzcas, Jul 5, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre and Anonymously like this.
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who are you talking too? If it's Anonymously she supposedly IS an editor. If you are talking to me, my (re)application is in. If you are talking to others within the thread there is a mix of editors and non-editors... most of the 'hate' does seem to come from editors, which really is a HUGE turn off to potential or would-be editors.

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  16. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is an error message when I try to volunteer services. Anybody else receive this error 403 message?

11114444, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  17. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    See Announcement

jimnoble, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can ask more questions here, whilst Jimnoble does post here, and he was an editor who for many years handled applications and knew what was happening with application forms, RZ does have meta editors who will be able to say if your app went through or what is happening. http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10

Q, if you have not received a reply, and you re-applied many moons ago as you implied in an earlier thread, perhaps you should ask there too.

Edit to add, there you go Jim answered it for you whilst I was typing!!!

Anonymously, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  19. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you jimnoble. I missed it.

11114444, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  20. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anon/Jim/anyone with insights:

I am willing to volunteer my time for dmoz. If there is a best way to do so, please let me know. I have read the info that one submits an app, etc. If there is a more efficient/direct way to do so - please pm me. Thanks.

11114444, Jul 5, 2010 IP