1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Odesk Scam - DON'T USE ODESK.com **Odesk Scam Warning**

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Melvinng, Sep 27, 2009.

1. increase2011

increase2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    I used Odesk before. The first contractor was a total pain but then the 2nd contractor I got was a dream so the way I look at it I broke even . Way to fight for your money though!

increase2011, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  2. aloha laos

aloha laos Peon

Best Answers:
    that's why you set weekly limits. thats basic odesk 101 rules.

aloha laos, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  3. SEO Tard

SEO Tard Guest

Best Answers:
    I have only used oDesk to some extent and I didn't like it... Elance is much better in terms of organization & ability to manage the projects with accuracy which will then result to a successful project.

SEO Tard, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  4. sanjeeme

sanjeeme Peon

Best Answers:
    Ohhh God. I had ODESK debit card. Thanks for infomation

sanjeeme, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  5. derekad

derekad Peon

Best Answers:
    use rentacoder - they have good arbitration system

derekad, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  6. HubberZero

HubberZero Guest

Best Answers:
    Whoever that said it's the 4HWW fault, that's just hilarious!

HubberZero, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  7. amberk

amberk Peon

Best Answers:
    I am working through odesk since last 1 year , its not scam, just lack of experience causes anyone to think about it as a scam. 100% satisfied.... thumbs up :)

amberk, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  8. shanthiflash

shanthiflash Peon

Best Answers:
    I am freelancer, I done a fixed price job in Odesk.
    Client paid me and rated me 5 stars, and closed the job.
    He sent me a message he is happy with my work.
    After that he just sent a mail to Odesk customer support that he just wants his money back and asked to reverse the amount.
    Odesk simply did this and just sent me a mail, its a fixed price job they guarantee only hourly based job.
    Please don't work on Odesk, Better is Elance, scriptlance, gaf, frelancer.

shanthiflash, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  9. Hippydofreelancer

Hippydofreelancer Peon

Best Answers:
    I am new to this site, I came because I googled "odesk a scam" . I read some of your replies and also some other sites suggested. I am looking for work . I have completed some articles for associated content and text broker. I am American, fluid in English, not looking to rip anyone off or get ripped off. I am ready to work from home, pref not to bid, clear instructions wanted and a deadline with pay amount and if I can accomplish what work you may need. I am going to check guru out. Id rather work one on one with an individual that we can build a professional relationship upon and begin working asap. I have an active paypal account to receive payments. If anyone is interested in a hard , consistent, professional worker please contact me. Thank you,

Hippydofreelancer, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  10. Hippydofreelancer

Hippydofreelancer Peon

Best Answers:
    amberk, I am going to check the site out. What is the first thing(s) I should inquire about. I am looking for hourly work. I am ready to work and start making money. I have had prior experience in writing articles, rewriting articles, writing articles for private individuals websites. I am very experienced in note taking, data entry, and other clerical type work. I mainly worked in the insurance Industry but for quite some time its been slow, so I am back to doing what I know a bit about.

Hippydofreelancer, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  11. pashua

pashua Peon

Best Answers:
    I have similar situation.
    We agreed with programmer for certain amount and project went as hour based. But programmer billed me twice much.
    I wrote messages and emails to programmer asking to explain why i was billed 2 times more. Programmer replied once per week so 2 weeks passed and i couldn't dispute.
    Luckily my card expired so i paid only amount we agreed.

What may happen if I won't pay extra money which really i shouldn't pay? I'm located in Belarus so i doubt odesk can sue me in court, am i right?

Bad side - I won't be able to use odesk anymore even i think there can be honest programmers.

pashua, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  12. lipe001

lipe001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using odesk regulary (I've spent over $1000 there) and I like their system.

lipe001, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  13. jabidhasan

jabidhasan Peon

Best Answers:
    Do, as you know, whatever you know?? If you have experience in Any section like MS word, ms excel and more & more about computing or something else. Try www.odesk.com. Create a free account & get started. Free to join. All You need to do build up your profile. Enjoy freelancing. >>>>>

jabidhasan, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  14. pashua

pashua Peon

Best Answers:
    May be for freelancer odesk is ok but for customers it doesn't. There is no protection for client not to be over-billed.
    Example - freelancer spent 40 hours by "making" modules which were not used at website at all.
    As it was hour-based job - freelancer was paid and I found it 2 weeks later so couldn't dispute.

pashua, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  15. jabidhasan

jabidhasan Peon

Best Answers:
    @pashua >>> you are right. But all we need to do make a good response to the employer. we should work properly and delete unnecessary time log.

jabidhasan, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  16. pashua

pashua Peon

Best Answers:
    freelancers who knows about 2 weeks dispute use it to deceive clients, e.g. if client doesn't know programming or certain cms - it is almost impossible to check that programmer spent time to work with ur project. E.g. making the modules with same functionality for CMS.

pashua, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  17. division23

division23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I used oDesk once before and got a good price, but was not very good quality. Suing them will just lose more money then what you pay in. Can you dispute the charges with your credit card company or paypal maybe if you used them to pay?

division23, Feb 16, 2012 IP
  18. mariailyas

mariailyas Peon

Best Answers:
    odesk is not a scam site but you did mistake by allowing your worker to log in odesk team and you did not set any weekly limit.

mariailyas, Feb 16, 2012 IP
  19. pashua

pashua Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with odesk is that don't protect client good enough from bad programmers (from my experience mostly from India)

pashua, Feb 16, 2012 IP
  20. Paul DeJager

Paul DeJager Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Morning, Been reading up with Odesk and I have been using as a job broker site for the last 6 months. Up until last night I really didn't a a problem with it. I realize not everyone is honest, and that the heart of the problem. Last night I had a client not only stiff me for my work (three days coding/web design) but had someone steal the work from my server (I should have locked it down till payment was arrived). I always do work on a fixed price. I absolutely HATE working to a time clock, really won't have it. A client is paying me for a site, not to evesdrop on me every moment of the day. While it is doubtful I will get any of my money back or control of the images I made that was stolen. What galls is how frankly NO HELP Odesk has been thru this entire issue. I will be looking forward to switching to another job broker, after I finish my remaining work. Paul DeJager

Paul DeJager, Mar 3, 2012 IP