1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Odesk Scam - DON'T USE ODESK.com **Odesk Scam Warning**

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Melvinng, Sep 27, 2009.

Here is what happened, I hired someone on odesk for a 1 hour job, he logs about 25 hours of surfing the net, gaming, etc. And after disputing the hours odesk is asking me to pay for the hours anyways.

Read the full story here: http://www.odesk.com/community/node/9044

I plan on suing them in a small court case here, but any advice?

Melvinng, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  2. Molly

Molly Peon

Best Answers:
    You are really going to sue them? Surely that will cost you a lot more than 10 hours. I feel your pain though I hired virtual assitance before and had to fire them all. I blam the book 4 hour working week, made it sounds so damm easy.

Molly, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  3. Melvinng

Melvinng Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, suing them isn't that hard if you know the correct people. And if I do sue them they will have to fly someone down to the place I am suing them at. This would probably cause them much more then 10 hours.

But they gave me back the money, so that's the end of it.

Melvinng, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  4. PHPmyMirror

PHPmyMirror Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, its some chinese guy that was trying to scam you outta money. Well good to hear you got your money back

PHPmyMirror, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  5. gareth_esutera

gareth_esutera Member

Best Answers:
    ODesk is not a scam but there can definitely some misunderstanding between providers and buyers. I for one, don't use the hourly system because I don't want clients monitoring my every move and complaining that I wasn't working on their project for one minute.

gareth_esutera, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  6. pothi

pothi Member

Best Answers:
    I've been working through various buyers in oDesk for more than a year and now, I'm a buyer myself in oDesk. From my experience, I could see the new buyers do not take time to understand how oDesk works and hire a new provider who would not know the system either. So, ultimately, miscommunication happens and the result is a unsuccessful project.

pothi, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  7. upromotion

upromotion Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear your got your money back, next time just be more careful.

upromotion, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  8. blackrosezy3

blackrosezy3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Better use rentacoder.com than oDesk.

blackrosezy3, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  9. selltraffic_now

selltraffic_now Peon

Best Answers:
    dasar malingsia! ga mau rugi! Grow up!

selltraffic_now, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  10. DPParadise

DPParadise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rentacoder don't have good jobs with good budget. While Odesk have a little of them.

Better to use Elance, that's it.

DPParadise, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  11. seolove

seolove Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is always good thing and bad things with "cheap" VA...

Find a good company and outsource it.. dont hire freelancers, it'll be always headache to deal with those people..

pay a penny extra and have fun

seolove, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  12. gordon08

gordon08 Peon

Best Answers:
    It ain't worth in my opinion. Everyone who does business online, looses some money at one point. It is inevitable. Use that as a learning experience and move on. It ain't worth the headache.

gordon08, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  13. CurtisR

CurtisR Peon

Best Answers:
    I like to always used fixed price after determining how much of a specific task they can do per hour, then just figure out how long a specific task will take. Takes off the mystery factor, I never liked the fact they can just mark up hours..

CurtisR, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  14. black.hat

black.hat Active Member

Best Answers:
    oDesk has scammed me too, the provider has charged me for an upfront, but he have not did the programming, and when i reported that to oDesk they told me that i cant dispute the flat fee jobs, after talking more than 2 weeks with them, they never refund my money.

Stay a way from them, they protect their Programmers only because they gain them the money.

black.hat, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  15. photoads

photoads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use scriptlance - you post a project, place money in escrow and pay when satisfied. Only once have I had an issue with someone on there, which was funny.

I placed a project for integrating a template I had into a script I had, told him which files needed changing, ftp etc. He showed me a demo and insisted I sent him the money for the files. when I received them it wss just one index.html fiel with the links from my existing site placed in it. He argued with me that integration was never asked for yet there it was in the project - I got refunded.

If you want a job doing well pay the right price, you go cheap you get cheap

photoads, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  16. jubach

jubach Peon

Best Answers:
    it's a lesson learned. I am not a buyer at odesk but somehow as a person looking for a job, it helps me be reminded on what should and must learn in order to prevent such situation.

jubach, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  17. matt53

matt53 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info ... i was about to hire them

matt53, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  18. WebDesignMatters

WebDesignMatters Peon

Best Answers:
    I was also scammed using odesk, although have found a few amazing providers on there.

although I now tend to avoid Indian and Pakistan service providers due to there ability to never get jobs done on time and for there amazing ability to turn a 2 hour job in to a 30 hour job.

Also link builders have a habbit of sending massive spreadsheets of supposed links they have added when in fact they have added very few links.

ways to avoid being scammed on odesk, is to pay a little extra and have employ someone with good documented feedback - as the old saying goes you buy cheap you buy twice...

if a provider asks you to employ their other less qualified profile for whatever reason - refuse at all costs

WebDesignMatters, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  19. UK1

UK1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am new to internet marketing, and read your comments with interest. I am from the UK and I have been reciving great advice from and a chap called Matt (an Australian but he can`t help that) his blog is mattmarketing.com and he sent this video on odeck called "Outsourcing Secrets Video"
    Which shows you how to pick and test the people you hire from odeck before you take them on.

I have received a lot of help from other forums, so I thought I would do the same. And no I have no links to this matt except I receive his emails which so far proved very helpful. Hop this infor helps.

UK1, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  20. petr_ind

petr_ind Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    hmmmm..... interesting story.
    If you want to sue them in the court, i think it will cost a lot of money and effort.
    Just spread this rumor, and maybe they will apologize to you.

petr_ind, Apr 20, 2010 IP