1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Odd 'www' and non 'www' results

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Arnica, Jan 3, 2005.

I noticed that on some sites G is now reporting the same PR and backlinks on the 'www' and no 'www' domains. This is odd as G normally treats them (rightly so) as separate. It does seem to have coincided with a PR drop on my sites. Other sites that have the same PR have differing results for the different domain versions as was to be expected previously. Just to clarify this isn't similar results - the exact same SERPs are being served for the link:http://domaindotcom and link:http://wwwdotdomaindotcom. (And no I'm not redirecting the non 'www' to the 'www')

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mick

Arnica, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  2. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are some web tools that'll query each Google data center separately. Maybe they are updating their algorithm. In my case, I get zero results without the www.

jeff123, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  3. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep I use those frequently and it was these tools that alerted me to what appears to have happened. During the update many data centers held my 'www' domain at PR 5 with the the 'non www' being PR 0 as you would expect with only a few mistyped reciprocals pointing to it. Others showed both versions as PR 4. It has now stabilised with both versions showing PR 4 - it would appear that Google has split the PR between both versions. I checked all my other domains on the same servers and with the same host and they all still show the normal 'www' = PR 4 +, 'non www' = PR 0/1. Wierd! so I'm now redirecting all non-www to the www. Probably should have done it before but it has never been an issue until now!!

Arnica, Jan 6, 2005 IP