1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Obama Approval Rating Falling!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Corwin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    See, this is what really cracks me up...

Liberals believe that Americans are too stupid to say anything intelligent unless they are herded like cows. If a well-dressed person steps up to a microphone and says something that demonstrates that they are not only intelligent, but have read the legislation and can talk about it, well, liberals believe that it is absolutely impossible for that person to have done it on their own, right? They MUST have been put up to it! By insurance companies. Or an organization of right-wingers. Or the vast right-wing conspiracy.

And, of course, look at Zibblu's stereotyping... whenever a right-winger speaks, it MUST be a "ridiculous lie", right? This is an extremely convenient way of thinking for liberals.

It allows them to de-humanize Americans.

To a liberal, any person that disagrees with them doesn't count. See?

And that is important... why? Axelrod's White House is unraveling. Obama is handing the keys to the nation to lawyers. Without serious malpractice lawsuit reform, the debate on health reform (no, wait, what are they calling it this week - health insurance reform?) will fail.

This isn't about health insurance for all Americans - if it was, I'd be all for it. This is about the Democrats making the most historically significant power grab since Hitler grabbed Poland.

Corwin, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  2. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you remember this whole thing with Bush destroying the economy? This deficit spending is almost entirely because of the economic collapse of 2008. And BTW, we seem to be avoiding another Great Depression because of this action. And this "Yourbama" stuff is absolutely stupid. How childish can you get? What is that even supposed to mean?

Interesting way to misread what I said. What I said is that the health care debate is causing his popularity to go down because the health insurance companies/right wing politicians have been pretty successful at spreading misinformation about health care reform.

This is normally the case with trying to do any major change like this. There are a lot of entrenched interests against moving the country forward because they are making billions of dollars the way things are now. To hell with the over 10,000 Americans who die every year due to lack of health care coverage. To hell with the nearly one million Americans who go bankrupt with medical expenses every year (75% of whom have/had private health insurance.) They got their billions $$$ and they want to keep it that way. Thus they spread lies about what Obama is trying to do. These lies have hurt his popularity.

But the good news is, he's still over 50% (54% today) and I believe there's a sea change happening. The right wing threw all of the lies they could come up with at health care reform, but it's bouncing back. The truth will win out in the end.

And in the end most Americans are going to love health care reform because it will make their lives better (directly.) If Obama can win this fight and get reform passed, he will be rewarded in a huge way both in 2012 and in the history books.

Zibblu, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  3. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Um, ah...

Zibblu might want to read up on his Constitution. The President has very little to do with the economy - it's the US House of Representatives. He might want to read that pesky little amendment about "all revenue bills shall originate..." where?

The US economy has been going downhill since the Democrats stole both houses in 2006 when Pelosi and pals seized power. Zibblu likes to blame the President because he doesn't understand the United States system of government.

Listen up, Zibblu - the President can't even change a fraction of an interest rate. Only the U.S. House of Representatives can do that. And nothing gets out of the House unless Pelosi decrees it.

Corwin, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  4. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Again you can't even see that Yourbama's policies are bankrupting our country. This doesn't make you look very bright, zib.

Democrats are being roasted all across the country because of all the crap you put in your "health care reform" legislation.

Hmmmmm... for those young people making over $75 K that DO NOT want to purchase insurance, you want to fine them? That will be really popular. :rolleyes:

Small businesses have stopped hiring because they think that they will be forced to buy insurance for all the employees. For the record, that is a perk and SHOULD NOT be a requirement for all businesses.

I've asked you twice before, Zibby. Are you on welfare? Do you have insurance? Are you one of the supposed 47 million? Just wondering why you are married to this loser.

jkjazz, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  5. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    ChaosTrivia, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  6. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    jkjazz, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Looks like approval and disapproval have not only intersected by are each heading respectively in opposite directions. I'm not sure we've ever seen a president sink into the abyss this fast.

[​IMG]

Mia, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  8. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, we haven't. Can anyone remember another time in recent US history when the American public was so very disappointed in a President so quickly? Certainly such a time would stand out in memory, right? President Bush's numbers took two years to fall. So, if it's not President Carter, then we are probably seeing an historic decline.

Rasmussen has President Obama's overall approval rating at 45%.
    Zogby, which the Democrats enjoy quoting, have Obama's overall approval rating sinking to 42%. That's cozying up to George Bush numbers.

And this cracks me up - I was just looking to see how MSNBC ("The Obama Network") is reporting the plummeting poll numbers... Well, tonight their up-to-the-minute reporting is reminiscing Hurricane Katrina and the intelligence that led to the Iraqi war. Hmmm, they really need to start watching the other news channels so they can see what is happening TODAY.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    Corwin, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  9. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm very pleased that Obama seems to be bouncing off of the 50% floor a bit and that he still has not fallen under 50% for a single day. I know 50% vs. 49% doesn't make much difference (no statistical meaning) but I do think it would be good if he were to be able to not drop below 50%. There's a certain psychological advantage to that.

I'm also very pleased that I really feel the health care debate is turning in a good direction. The lies of the right wing have only got them so far... as you shine more light on all of the nonsense the right wingers have been saying about health care reform it's easy to see that's all BS.

In reality the average American isn't OK with 18,000 US Citizens dying due to lack of health care every year. And they aren't OK with hundreds of thousands of US citizens going bankrupt due to medical expenses every year (which is, by the way, unheard of in other western countries) especially not when they find out that 78% of those who go bankrupt due to medical expenses had private health care insurance.

That last line is essential to people understanding this issue. Health care reform is not just about those who don't have health insurance, it's just as much about those who do. Right now there is absolutely no security in having health insurance because there's a very good shot your insurance company won't actually be there for you when you need them most (as that 78% figure proves) ... Why would anyone fight to keep that system as is (especially when you add in the ridiculous rate at which premiums are rising) ???

The only people who benefit from not fixing this system are those at the private health insurance companies and the Republicans in the congress who are trying to win a political victory over the President. Everyone else loses. Not just Democrats but Independents and Republicans too.

That's sort of what this is all about... realizing that the Republican party is not on the side of anyone but an elite group of extremely rich corporations and the rich people who feed off them.

So yeah - I feel we're in a "teachable moment" here and if Obama can pull this off and get health care passed, not only will it be a brilliant thing for all of us (we all need health care reform regardless of the silly political fight going on now) but also for President Obama politically.

You combine a good health care reform bill passing (ie, a real bill - not some watered down garbage) with a recovering economy and Obama's approval ratings will be back up over 60%. I doubt he'll ever hit the high 60s again in this first term - just because there's a significant sized group of Glenn Beck type folks who are just too detached from reality to get it.

Zibblu, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  10. simplyg123

simplyg123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I think of Obama, I see independence slowly fading away. I see America, turning back into that which it once became independent of.

Are we an independent nation?

What is independence?
    1. freedom from control or influence of another or others
    2. the successful ending of the American Revolution; "they maintained close relations with England even after independence"
    source

Im just sayin...

Ive missed you P&R ;)

simplyg123, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ah, I'm a little concerned with your thinking here.

[​IMG]

You do know how to read a graph right?

Mia, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  12. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Back up to 54% today. Very good news the way he's bouncing off that 50% floor. Very good! Tonight there will be pro health care reform vigils all over the country. The tide is turning. The people know (or are figuring out) that the Republicans are on the side of the private health insurance industries (the ones that are making billions of dollars in profits while they refuse to cover many of their customers) and that President Obama is trying to help the American people with health care reform.

Zibblu, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yes, 54% disapprove.. Nice to see you posting that Zibby..

Mia, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  14. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately the Republicans won't be able to hold off health care reform and stop the economy from recovering before 2012. Else this would be something to celebrate, for them. :(

GeorgeB., Sep 2, 2009 IP
  15. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you think his rating fell so fast and drastically?

ncz_nate, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because there are literally (no bullshit.... literally) people in this country that believe Obama wrote the health care reform bill and that if it passes it will immediately impose socialized medicine on the nation.

The rest are people who believe in Obama but are willing to admit that he is trying to do too much at once and therefore isn't accomplishing all that we want him to or that he promised.

He's taking a HUGE risk by basically putting everything on hold to get health reform passed. And the polling of the fearful and easily agitated American people is showing it.

So if we answer the question honestly, our "approval" of the job he is doing can't be stellar yet. Emphasis on yet.

Is it fair? Of course not. Will this be the case a year from now? Highly doubt that. But the republicans have to milk it for all it's worth to try and win back some seats in 2010. That's just the politics as usual we are used to. How do you think the Dems got into power as they are now? (Thanks Bushy :D )

That's what happens when you come into office with the highest expectations since JFK.

GeorgeB., Sep 2, 2009 IP
  17. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't get why he's trying so hard to pass it, I mean I guess he is being consistent in doing what he was elected to do, but he's gonna face the consequences. Maybe I can respect him for not playing politics as usual and pandering to what the majority says.. but regardless of my thoughts on it, I don't think America is ready to accept anything like UHC right now.

ncz_nate, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  18. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    This is not true. Although even if it were true, I would strongly support Obama doing the politically difficult thing and making sure this passes. Most of the mossbacks will be thanking him in 10 years anyway (just like they cling to their medicare & social security now.)

The fact is that people overwhelmingly support the reforms Obama is trying to pass when they actually understand what they are. Do you really think people are against health insurance companies not being able to discriminate against sick people anymore? Do you really think they are against insurance companies not being able to drop people who get sick so they can make more profits? Those reforms have overwhelming support across party lines and despite what folks are saying (bought and paid for by who I wonder?) the public option does have enormous support as well.

77% support choice of the public option

Zibblu, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  19. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Democrats: Are for Affordable, accessible health care for all.

Obama specifically: Deficit Neutral health care for all.

Republicans: We're not for any of that. Let's just play politics.

Americans aren't stupid. When given the facts, they always make the right decision. That's why we have medicare. If left to the Republicans and their puppet masters the health industry, we wouldn't even have that.

GeorgeB., Sep 2, 2009 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Democrats: Are for those who work paying for those who do not, or do not want to pay for their own health insurance. Democrats are about entitlement and dependence, not affordability.

Obama specifically: has not got a fucking clue.

Republicans: We want to fix the problem. Anyone bother looking at Paul Ryan's plan?

This just made me laugh.

Mia, Sep 2, 2009 IP