1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Number Of Pages Within A Site Does Matter

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004.

I have a site, that some secondary keywords were wiped out with Flordia back in November. Then with Austin, it was gone for ALL keywords. Brandy brought the primary keywords back (not secondary though), but with terrible rankings (#15 ish). The site itself is a PageRank 7.

So as an experiment, I brought online a lot of unique content I had (went from 8 pages within the domain to 1,110). The day the content hit the index, every keyword (primary, secondary, and even some I never ranked for) flew up the ranks and are now higher than they EVER were before.

Thinking this might have been coincidental, I tried it on another site I have. I went from 10 pages of content to 24. Same thing... the day the content hit the Google index, my rankings on my keywords went from 8-10 to 3-5.

It might still be coincidental, but to me, it does seem like Google is putting weight on how large a site is.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard this is true as well. I think the reasoning is that the bigger your "footprint" on the Internet the more importance Google gives your domain.

Thus Google will rank you better/take more time to index your domain, because you have more content than others. Which in turn makes your domain, more likely, an authority for keywords your domain is relevant for.

I always suggest extra pages, with more content, and if a page is over 1000 words, break it up into more pages so the domain's "footprint" is bigger, plus the extra page(s) could be targeted for similar keywords.

I like that you actually saw an obvious difference.

Such Great Heights, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It definitely was interesting to see such a blatant change in rankings the day the new content hit the index. Wasn't expecting that, but glad it did...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  4. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes - absolutely - more content (pages) matters.

More importantly though - a stagnant website is less appealing to search engine.

Let me say that another way:

a stagnant website is less appealing to search engine.

If I may be so bold! ;)

fathom, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It makes logical sense really, To be an authority, you have to be up to date, to be up to date you have to be adding content. Like most everything else with the algos logic shines through .

OH dear my ears have gone pointy at the top, and i have just sprouted a stupid haircut :D

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 11, 2004 IP
  6. rustybrick

rustybrick User ID 3

Best Answers:
    dido :)

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

rustybrick, Mar 13, 2004 IP
  7. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How is "Pages in URL" determined on the backlink tracker? My site TSP Talk probably has over 100 pages total but the "Pages in URL" says 7. Of course many of my links to other pages are on secondary pages.

I have one page in particular TSP Talk Comments that came back with 1 "Page in URL" but it has links to archives of old pages of my daily comments.

I'm a little confused.
    :confused:

tsptom, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's the number of pages in the URL as returned by Google at the time of the last back link change for the URL. Also, make sure you don't have "http://" in the URL within the back link tracker.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  9. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have to submit all of your site's pages to Google or is google finding them with the gooblebot (sp?).

Thanks for answering this simpleton's questions.

tsptom, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to submit any pages to Google. If you have a single link to the site and good navigation on the site Google will crawl it all. If you don't have a single link there is no point submitting it because Google will drop it anyway.

Don't submit! Don't submit! Don't submit! Don't submit! Don't submit! Don't submit!

Oh! BTW did I mention Don't submit!?

compar, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  11. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm usually pretty perceptive, but I'm not sure where you're going with that post. If I hear you right, I should not submit the pages? ;)

So why does google only count 7 of my ~100 pages. Are they bad links? Mind taking a look?

I'd appreciate it :D Thanks!

tsptom, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  12. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    My backlinks dont seem to be counted on all of my product pages... Are they too similar and not being counted? Should I add more text to the products description?

schlottke, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are your product pages PR4 or higher?

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    No- they don't count if under 4?

15. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    One other thing-- I just wanted to say that I signed up for your sites tracking software and hoped you'd open a forum so I could here your pointers.. Thanks for such an excellent resource, honestly!

16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The only thing that is really meaningful is wether or not Google has all your pages cached. If everypage is cached then Google know about them.

The backlink search only shows pages, whether internal or external, of PR4 or higher. And even then it doesn't seem to be 100% accurate.

Two other searches that are useful are the allinurl: search and the site: search.

I just checked your site and for some reason many of your pages are not cached. How long has the site been up?

Your internal navigation looks fine to me. But I'm not a real HTMl expert. Maybe Shawn or someone else could have a look.

I also know there are hacks you have to add to get Google to crawl your forum pages. Have you added these?

compar, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, first of all, the main page is only PR1. Google is going to take longer to spider the site. The speed at which Google spiders, is correlated to the site's PageRank.

How long has the site been up?

They count for factoring PageRank and positioning, but they are not publicly reported. I think a big reason that Google only publicly reports PR4 or higher is because the link: query would be pretty useless. digitalpoint.com would have 100,000+ back links, but most of them low PR, internal links.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    TSPTalk,

Do you have any external pages linking to you? If you do it appears that none are PR4 or higher. I suspect the major problem with your site is lack of inbound links.

Rather than waste time submitting your pages go get some decent backlinks. Even if you have to buy them. Go get yourself 30, 40 or 50 backlinks from pages of PR4 or better. It will turn your entire site around.

If you don't know how to do this email me privately and I'll tell you how.

Oh and BTW change your home page title. The title is the single most important on-page element for the SEs and you are totally wasting yours.

compar, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  19. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was started in January.

I was consistently getting PR 3 but based on a recommendation from one of the posters here, I changed my title and now I'm a PR 1. I don't know if that was a coincidence, but I changed it back.

You'll have to tell me about hacks.

I took this from another of your posts compar. You have been very helpful but the more you tell me, the more questions I have. :confused: I saw a post where you said I can email you for this info, so I will do that. Is this a service you provide? I don't want to take free advice if you normally charge.

Thanks again everyone!

tsptom, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  20. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FYI, I just changed my title back to the old one and my PR went back to 3. That was fast. If it really is that fast, maybe I will play around with my title and see if I can't get the PR to move up.

tsptom, Apr 10, 2004 IP