1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ns3 and ns4 point to new server but using domain from ns1 server? Help

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by TurnkeyTavern, Apr 10, 2008.

I just bought a dedicated sever and I need to setup my name servers to ns3 and ns4 because I have another server I use and it has the ns1 and ns2. Can i do ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com as additional name servers to my other server or do I have to change/add a different domain. does that make sense? I want the new accounts to only see my current domain as name servers but point to server2.mydomain.com and not mydomain.com. Break down, one server no Porxies, New server Yes Proxies. thats why all the confusion.

Thanks and sorry if that makes not sense or if I tried to use to much detail.

Jay

TurnkeyTavern, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  2. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    The point of having separate NS records is that in case 1 server goes down, your site still resolves from the 2nd. Why don't you configure the first server as ns1 and the 2nd as ns2? On top of that, it is recommended that your name servers are geographically separated. I'd suggest you spread them out as much as possible.

The second part doesn't make sense. Do you want to host proxies on one and not on the other? Or do you want the DNS to be separate for your proxy and non-proxy sites?

boltok, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  3. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you mean you have two different servers and want proxies on only one specific machine with same ip as the nameserver there using and not use the other name server? Yes you can add ns3 and 4 just make sure to add them correctly in your primary nameserver and both up to allow transfers between servers... making one a slave...

007c, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  4. TurnkeyTavern

TurnkeyTavern Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct, I have 2 servers and I am trying to get the 2nd server's name servers set to ns3 and ns4. I have set the ips to the name servers in the WHM setup, set them up with my registar and still not working. I didn't setup the server as a slave though, should I try that. this is still a little new to me.

One more question, my domain is xps-hosting.com for my 1st server and when i purchased my 2nd server it was setup as: server2.xps-hosting.com. Does it need to have a different domain then: server2.mydomain.com, would this cause a conflict?

Thanks

When checking my resolver ip's, they are not the same as my name server ips that I set. Shold I change them?

TurnkeyTavern, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  5. Afazelpoor

Afazelpoor Guest

Best Answers:
    You can setup unlimited number of name servers, it does make it difficult to manage all domains but if you are up to it then it shouldn't be an issue, you do however need to create an NS records for the NS3 and NS4 on 1st Server pointing them to the IP of the 2nd Server, let me know if you need more help.

Afazelpoor, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  6. TurnkeyTavern

TurnkeyTavern Peon

Best Answers:
    Do I need to have root access to the 1st server? I tried entering a dns record for the new name servers on the 1st server.

TurnkeyTavern, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  7. Afazelpoor

Afazelpoor Guest

Best Answers:
    You don't need root access to create A and NS records, if you have DNS management tools on your first server you can create whatever nameserver you want, as far as creating name server for registrar all you need is access to your domain records to setup name server, they don't even have to be on your 1st server.

Afazelpoor, Apr 14, 2008 IP