1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Now you can say how much $ you make!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Tapanti, Mar 15, 2005.

Not that it’s anybody’s business though. ;)

But according to the new AdSense TOS , now you can say publicly how much you make with AdSense.

Tapanti, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's really not a change, they just specifically state it now. You could always disclose your total check amount. If you couldn't there would be no way to deposit the check since you need to disclose the amount to the bank.

digitalpoint, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  3. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, well, how about this:
    A new month started and in a forum (e.g. like this one here :) ) I want to discuss with others about AS and especially the earnings.
    Am I even allowed to disclose my earnings SO FAR? So, not the number I finally have on my check, but the number which I have yet earned at this point of the month?
    Or is that against tos?

Hijacker, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It would be against the TOS. The only thing you can disclose is the payment amount.

5. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    You will probably find most people unwilling to share how much they earn even now that google has clearly said its ok.

l234244, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  6. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, thanks shawn :)

Hijacker, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  7. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Does this mean that I could copy and paste my earnings to date from my account summary and post it on a forum to discuss? (not that I would)

Homer, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it means you can tell people how much your check from Google is each month.

9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    OK, people, let me jump in. A few weeks ago I sent an email to Google asking if I could disclose how much one of my sites was eraning with Adsense, since I was planning to sell it. They said that there was no problem, as long as I didn't get into any specific details like CTRs and similar. So, you CAN say how much a single site makes, not only how much your total check amount is.

fryman, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  10. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What Google told you and what the TOS says are two different things. They say we can disclose the gross amount, and you say they told you that you can show an earnings report without CPM, Impressions, and CTR.

Infiniterb, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  11. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you were selling your site, gross Google and other income would be part of the valuation. The buyer would be entitled to know your page views, your ad spending, etc. He could then work out impressions but I think the gross income is quite valuable. He could certainly estimate CTR, CPM, and impressions. Might there come a day where Google allows full disclosure to everyone?

tbarr60, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  12. hanyixin

hanyixin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is not a big change. Someone don't like to share there amount with others.

hanyixin, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The only reason I can think of for Google not allowing to disclose all your earning details would be to avoid to have millions of spam sites targeting high priced words. They already have a tought time controlling that.

fryman, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  14. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    But they sure like the idea of having hundreds of webmasters spreading the voice publicly of the big $$$ they made with AdSense last month, or the month before.

I think this is basically a marketing move. This allows and even promotes public discussion and comparison of earning figures between the different contextual ads providers in the market.

I remember several threads in DP asking how much everyone makes in AdSense.

You might think that they don’t really need to cry out laud how great their system is... but you just have to check any webmasters forum, and you’ll find it full of threads asking how good AdSense really is? Should I use it or should I use XXXX?

There are still thousands of indecisive webmasters out there, and with the sight of the competition on the horizon, I’m sure GG prefers to make sure everyone knows how profitable its ads system is.

Tapanti, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    It sure is profitable... I am having one of my best adsense days today... I just aren't brave enought to put up the new text ads...

You know the saying, "if it aint broken..."

fryman, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  16. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the things I like the most about the new text ads is that they don't compete with the current ads, but instead, I believe they complement the current ads.

Mine are up and running already, and I'm not afraid of "breaking" anything... except maybe for the CPM, and that doesn't really matter much to me.

But you know the other saying: "Time will tell"

Tapanti, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  17. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Lol... I give it a few days before we start getting flooded with posts either saying "this is wonderful" or "what the heck was Google thinking????" :D

fryman, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  18. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    A few minutes ago I tended to believe the voices would be more to the "this is wonderful" than to the "what the heck was Google thinking????"

But I have just realized that clicking on the ads DO NOT take you to the advertiser’s web site. It takes you to a set of results with ads related with the keyphrase you just clicked on.

Boy... they are breaking rule number 1 of internet usability: they are increasing the number of clicks a visitor has to make in order to get to what he is looking for.

Oh well... I guess we will, in fact, have to wait and see how this works...

And this new factor could, in fact "break things", as many visitors might not click on the ads found in the page showed by Google, and then, you would have lost both, the visitor AND the click. :eek:

Tapanti, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  19. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but... the visitor has 3 choices, click on an ad, hit the back button and keep browsing around your site or just close the window.

2 out of 3 isn't that bad... you still have a chance he gets back to your site and finds a "normal" ad he likes and clicks on it.

fryman, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  20. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    I would see the AdLinks "page of related advertisements" more like having diluted the effectiveness of AdSense ads, as now when a visitor clicks on the AdLink it gets 2 out of 3 options as you said, but with regular AdSense ads, the visitor clicks on the ad, the visitor gets the website, period, that’s 1 out of 1.

I'm seeing confusing numbers and feedback for the day, and I guess only reviewing the channel data in a couple of days will give me a clearer picture of the AdLinks effectiveness.

Tapanti, Mar 16, 2005 IP