1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Now it comes to CMS....

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by icare, Feb 23, 2006.

Wonderfull DP members solved my 90% proble about the domian... now it is turn for CMS. Which one should I use?
    I want to build a news portal basicaly based on bollywood with little bit diversity. My other topics will be mobile(mobile review,ringtones, mobile downloads) etc, Cars, sports news, wall paper and screensaver downloads, and e-cards. These are few topics i am looking at into one site. I am thinking of paid Good CMS. Can anybody suggest me which one should I buy which can handle all this stuff.I was considering PHPCOW but it has poor support I think.
    These are the few sites I how I want my site be...
    WWW.indiatimes.com
    www.sify.com
    www.funmaza.com

Please friends suggest me a good cms..

P.S:- I am newbie, a userfriendly CMS would be great. please help

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  2. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest checking out www.Wordpress.org -- they have awesome software for CMS and it sounds like it should fit your news needs.

fsmedia, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  3. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:
    isnt wordprees just a blog software? I am looking for CMS with which I can manage lots of diffrent categories something like phpnuke...but better than that

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  4. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    iatbm, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  5. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use typo3... it has a steep learning curve but it is quite powerful and flexible.

vlead, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  6. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:
    Want more complicated with full of features... I am willling to spend 200-300 dollars.. just need cool and uniques look for my site.. I guess open source wont do it ... they have limited support.. did anybody experinced phpcow?

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  7. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    aham...It's not correct to say that open source have limited support. THEY HAVE THE BEST SUPPORT..I think you are from India like me :D Anyway go with Drupal..very nice and as said by someone..for news site solucija is good.

poseidon, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  8. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe Joomla is the right CMS for you.

You can experiment with it on your own computer if you want without the need for a server to host everything.
    Check out this tutorial guide i posted some time ago.
    If you follow this guide you can set everything up and experiment with Joomla on your desktop and see for yourself if this CMS is for you.

Edz, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  9. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

Hi bro yeh am from canada but 100% desi. anyway solucja is too simple. c the problem with these open source cms is that you cant buiilt a uniques site with unique looks....

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  10. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    are you kidding .... how can you not build unique site with open source cms .... with snews you dont get any design hehe ....

i used snews for article directory site, for website directory for news site etc etc etc .... for this etc etc etc .... anything you want ..... all with unique design and content ....

It seems you dont know what you are looking or you have some hidden want to sell some good cms hehe

iatbm, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  11. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    buddy, since you are in canada so I can expect you haveing a good budget :D you can always ask a freelancer to build the whole site for you at USD $300. If you are having high expectations with your portal site, than I will advice you to hire some more expereinced person to build the whole site.

poseidon, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  12. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you could check out Drupal, I've used that for CMS needs and it's done quite well -- free too :)

fsmedia, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  13. ghosthost

ghosthost Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah.. i guess drupal i a good choice too...

ghosthost, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  14. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

Budget is not that high as you are thinking. Hiring somebody is just waste of time, had a bad experince with freelancer. I even tried www.getacoder.com etc but the thing is its realy hard to find a coder and other thing they promise too much and just dont delivery anthing. Just wasted good 3 months after couple of people and wasted some money too which was paid in advance. Now we have decided to work ourself. We dont have enough knowledge about webdesign and stuff but I guess you guys are here to help so I think we should be fine, Just looking for right cms. Ohter thing if you are talking about our expectations then if you are from india then you must have heard about www.indiatimes.com www.sify.com we expect our site to be competing with them or even beating them... Have high hope you can say....

I tried jOOmla before but its litle too complicated. cant find any documentations for it. Anyway my problem is that my site isnt just news portal... i have many other sections like e-cards and stuff... so I dont know if joomla will work for us,,...

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  15. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

thanks buddy.. am reading that.. may be i will try on my desk top that tutorial is wonderful

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  17. nsusa

nsusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at evo-articles. It will eventually do what you want. I use it on 4 different sites.

Christoph

nsusa, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  18. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Gotti

Take a look at this site, on this site you can purchase a book to learn more about Joomla.

Could be very usefull, i am planning to purchase the book as well :)

Edz, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  19. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:

Have you built any site with joomla? are there any plugins availble and hacks availble so that it can be customised little bit?

icare, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  20. vanessa

vanessa Peon

Best Answers:
    You should also check out PostNuke there are lots of plugins/modules and themes. It is easy to customize beyond the three column look/feel. And there is a large community with lots of support in user to user and professionals. In addition it is easy to customize with respect to functionality. And the admin interface is getting easier and easier to use. :)

vanessa, Feb 25, 2006 IP