1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Notification Settings

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Simon1978, Apr 16, 2017.

I am new to this forum

1. When I click on 'Notification Settings-On Facebook,' everything is turned 'On,' which is what I want.

However, when I click on a friend's photo, it enlarges and shows a drop-down arrow above the comments section. When clicked, it states 'Turn Notifications' on.

Since notification settings are already turned on, what does 'Turn Notifications On' refer to on a photo page?

'Obviously' I am missing something here!

2. How do I view a list of my threads?

Simon1978, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I suspect it's the notifications you get every time that person posts - a bit like stalking them - rather than notifications when someone interacts with your content.

upload_2017-4-17_12-15-42.png

sarahk, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  3. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sarah:

Thank you for replying.

1. Am I correct that going into Settings and turning 'General Notification Settings' on will notify me when someone views my activity while going to someone's photo page and clicking 'Turn Notifications On' will notify me each time he/she has any activity on their account?

2. When 'General Notification Settings' are on, will it tell me the specific member who viewed me or is it anonymous?

3. Regarding 'Turn Notifications On' for someone's specific profile, does the individual have to be a 'friend' in order for me to receive notifications about him/her or can I receive notifications from any member with a public profile?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. General notification setting will notify you when someone COMMENTS/SHARES your post. The rest is right
    2. Yes, but surely you've seen that already, you can't be that brand new to facebook?
    3. Took me 5 seconds to call up the profile of someone who isn't a friend and see that the option isn't available for people who aren't my friends
    4. Seriously? Click on your name at the top of the page and it will take you to your profile page.

sarahk, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  5. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sarah:

I am 60 years old and brand new to Facebook so I did not know any of this.

To be clear:

1. Turning on the 'General Notification' Setting will notify me when someone Comments/Shares my post. Viewing a friend or a non-friend's page, clicking on a photo, enlarging it, and clicking 'Turn Notifications On' will notify me each time he/she post comments/adds a photo on their account?

2. When 'General Notification Settings' are on, will it only tell me who viewed me if he/she is a friend OR any member who viewed me OR is it anonymous regardless of if a friend/non-friend viewed me?

3. Does turning on the 'Individual Notification' alert that member that I am 'tracking' him/her OR is it anonymous?

4. If I view a non-friend's public profile, is there a way for that member to know that a non-friend viewed him/her?

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. pretty much right but you won't see your friend's comments, just their posts
    2. you get no view notifications - only if they have interacted - shared/commented/liked
    3. The other person doesn't know that you are tracking them. In many cases you'll turn it off because it's annoying but it's good for particularly important family members
    4. No, no way for them to know you've viewed
    I'd recommend you also look at your privacy settings: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=privacy, I set mine up like this and it stops me getting friend requests from random scammers.
    upload_2017-4-17_13-15-27.png

sarahk, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  7. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sarah:

1a. Am I correct that turning on the 'General Notification' Setting will notify me when someone shares/comments/likes my post?

b. If so, will it only tell me 'who' it is if he/she is a friend OR any member who viewed me OR is it anonymous regardless of if a friend/non-friend so there is no way to know?

c. Am I correct that clicking 'Turn Notifications On' after viewing a friend or non-friend's page, clicking on a photo, and enlarging it will notify me each time he/she posts/adds a photo on their account but a friend/non-friend will not know that I have done this and turning on this notification only notifies me to that specific member-All of that correct?

8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Are you overthinking this? What are you actually trying to achieve? Maybe if I understood what worries you, or what your goal is I might be able to give you a clearer answer

[​IMG]
    In this screenshot you can see - line by line -
    1. Someone I have notifications turned on for has added a photo
    2. Someone I have notifications turned on for has updated her status
    3. Someone commented on a post that I have also commented on
    4. Someone posted in a group I belong to
    5. Someone commented on a photo I was tagged in
    6. Someone I have notifications on shared a post - twice
    7. Someone I have notifications turned on for shared a link

sarahk, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  9. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Sarah!

1. If you did not have your 'General Notification' Settings turned on, you would not know that someone commented on a post that you commented on, that someone posted in a group you belong to, or that someone commented on a photo that you were tagged in.

2. If you did not have 'Individual Notification' Settings turned on, you would not be notified that someone added a photo, that someone had a status update, that someone shared a post twice, or that someone shared a link, whether these 'activities' were from the same user or different users.

Is that correct about the two types of notifications?

3. If I click 'Reply' (with Quote beside it), my message will include your message above it. However, if I just type in the box below your message, your previous message will not be included-Correct?

10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. No, you wouldn't know
    2. No but as you read through your newsfeed you would see their posts anyway. I opt for notifications in the app/website but don't get emails
    3. Sharing will give your message above, commenting will give your message below.

sarahk, Apr 16, 2017 IP
  11. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    2a. Regarding 'Individual Notification' Settings, does turning it on for one user only turn it on for that user's profile or does turning it on for one profile keep it turned on for other profiles?

b. Regarding 'Individual Notification' Settings, regardless of if you have it turned on for one user or multiple users, none of them would know that you turned it on, so it would be a form of spying-Is that correct?

3. Below your message on the right side, I see 'Quote, Reply' as separate options. If Reply is clicked, your previous message will appear above my new message. However, if I just type in the box below your message, only my new message be included-Is that correct?

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The setting applies for the specific user. My newsfeed gets very busy and it's easy to miss stuff. I want to be sure that I see my sister's posts so I have it turned on for her.

spying, yes, but they have to have accepted you as a friend first so you must have some sort of relationship.

This forum allows you to quote multiple threads at a time so you could go through and click quote on several posts and it's only when you get down to the bottom that you'd see the option to "insert quotes" and they're then put into the reply box. If you just click reply it gets done instantly and it is assumed that you only want to quote a single post. Have a play around and see how it works. So long as you don't click "post reply" no one will see.

sarahk, Apr 17, 2017 IP
  13. Simon1978

Simon1978 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sarah:

Regarding 'Individual Notification' Settings, you stated that it is a form of spying but that person would have to had accepted me as a friend first.

I can assure you that I was able to search someone I 'know' who is not a friend, clicked on their public photos, and clicked on the drop-down arrow on the top right where the comments would be. (Try it and you will see what I mean).

In 'this' case, would the individual know that I turned notifications on for him/her?

2. When 'Quote' is clicked, it states 'toggle multi-quote': Message added to multi-quote or Message removed from multi-quote; No message was typed so where is the message being added to?

3. If 'reply' (beside quote) is clicked by mistake, is the only way to remove the quoted message to highlight it and delete it manually? There is no 'Cancel' option unless I am missing something?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Simon1978, Apr 17, 2017 IP