1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NOTHING on DMOZ updated in over a year for my category

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by whonoes, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello,

I know it takes some time to get listed in DMOZ. I have tired for over a year now to get my site listed. there have been NO updates in this area of DMOZ for over a year Regional: North America: United States: Missouri: Localities: O: Osage Beach: Business and Economy: Real Estate

My website has over 6400 real estate listings that displayed free without any email etc required. Most Realtors in this area require a min of email address to access the mls listings. I display 2 live cameras that update pic's every 10 seconds and we make daily time lapse movies. My website also has lots of information about this region of the USA. I.E. Lake of the Ozarks

I have tired to use contact forms on DMOZ but they all error out saying basically the person I am trying to email or send form to has a invalid email address.

Today I re-submitted my URL... I am in hopes that this post will bring some badly needed attention to this regional area of DMOZ.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

whonoes, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  2. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, be prepared to hear from visiting editors
    What you aren't going to hear from editors is direct reply to your question.
    You will never find the reason why your site is not listed yet but I'm sure you will get
    some disrespect and insulting your intelligence remark from some editors only because you
    just put yourself in army of people who are asking the same question "why" again and again.

So, good luck with hope that I'm wrong

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  3. whonoes

whonoes Peon

Best Answers:

Your response is exactly why I posted here. I only have submitted my site once every 6 months or so. Its NOT just my site that I am trying to bring attention 2... its the entire region in the category of Real Estate.

thanks for ur suggestion

whonoes, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? At the bottom of the category page, it says Last update: Fri Jan 22 19:05:50 PDT 2010 That's when http://www.lakeozarksrealestate.com/ was added.

Had you thought of reading our Real Estate Guidelines? Real estate categories are notorious for the number of spam and bogus websites that are suggested to them. To be listed, it's important that a website has credibility and unique content. An office address is pretty much essential for example.

jimnoble, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  5. whonoes

whonoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Jim,

I did a quick reply and wanted to add this ... YOU gave a URL in your post go there... Click on Lake of the Ozarks listings at top of page. Now put in MLS#3064935 NOTHING FOUND... Now I admit if U go to commercial property it will show up.... NOTE try and back out of the page using the back button YOU are trapped into their website.... IS THIS USER FRIENDLY? NOT the case on my site. Go to the commercial area of the site you mentioned and select any thing under zoning and YOU will get NO results found. This is just another example of how things are broke on the site you mentioned. There are several more.

I am NOT trying to knock the above site in any way. What I am trying to point out is due to FEDERAL laws regarding real estate and basically having a monolopy on the MLS. Realtors are required to release that data.... We totally rebuilt the local boards MLS listing to make them more attractive and easier to use, for people visiting our site and for Realtors we work directly with.

Prior to listing my property for sale I use to send friends around the country diff MLS#'s . You have NO idea of how many people responded back to me that the listing was NOT found.

I am NOT a realtor my property is listed for sale with a local realtor... BUT I RESERVED the right to sell FSBO. Because I am a individual does this mean by your guidelines that I cannot get listed in DMOZ? My site draws more visitors per day than most any realtor in this area. It is NOT uncommon for visitors using the database to spend over 1 to 2 hours looking up different real estate in the area. Contact info, location and phone number is very clearly listed.

Yes IMHO I do meet your real estate standards... And go way beyond with all the community information located on our site.

Thanks again for your time and consideration

PS Again its NOT just my site.... Dmoz does NOT list the top Realtors in this area. Realtors that year after year have been rated #1 in the area by listings and sales.... Team Jane Kelly is a prime example.

PPS Go to Google, Yahoo or Bing and search for "Commercial Real Estate Lake of the Ozarks" on Yahoo and Bing we are #1 position on Google we are #2 The reason I point this out is to show that our site has something to offer beyond what other sites offer. Search for "Commercial Real Estate Missour" [very vague] and on Google and Bing we are in top 10 on yahoo top 20 Does this show merit for our web site?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    whonoes, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably because "real estate" is so full of spam and crap, that no editor can be bothered entering the cesspool to deal with it. Rather than blame DMOZ, blame your fellow real estate webmasters for their previous actions and behaviors.

Agent000, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You must be fucking kidding me:confused:

I have better idea.
    Why don't you tell your fellows editors to shut down "real estate" category completely
    if dealing with submitted sites too big burden for them to handle.

:mad:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  8. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    I just figure don't count on getting listed at dmoz. If you happen to get listed consider it a bonus or plus. I wouldn't worry about it or lose any sleep over it.

gameutopia, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  9. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. Editors can edit where they like. If they have a choice between going and editing a spam magnet category or going to edit in a category that they have an interest in, then guess where they are going to go?

Agent000, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  10. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    You seem to have missed the main message of my post which was pointing out that the title of this thread is way incorrect :(.

jimnoble, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  11. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Unusually, I've tracked down what is probably your realestateozarks.com website and there are issues.

- The main thrust of the website appears to be selling an individual property. We don't list individual FSBO sites.
    - The MLS, which isn't unique content anyway, isn't prominent and possibly escaped notice.
    - You claim not to be a realtor but about three 'below the folds' down, it's promoting a realtor.
    - There are no verifiable contact details.

In it's current form, it's unlistable IMHO.

jimnoble, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are a regular reader of these threads you would have noticed that Agent000 has consistently said that s/he is not an editor how then can s/he have
    ? Please get your facts correct.

Anonymously, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  13. whonoes

whonoes Peon

Best Answers:
    HUMMM way incorrect? in the last 10 years how many new web sites have been added to the area I have pointed out? Ok in the last 5 years how many have been added ... DMOZ has 5 listed... I have been dealing or using DMOZ since the mid 90's when things first got rolling.

I think U seem to have missed the point of my post.

whonoes, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    1998, when we were founded, isn't the mid 90s. It would be really great if you could be bothered to check your facts instead of making up your own exaggerations.

Giving up.

jimnoble, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  15. whonoes

whonoes Peon

Best Answers:

Jim, with all respect

- The main thrust of the website appears to be selling an individual property. We don't list individual FSBO sites.

This website is designed to promote more than a single piece of property. The property is listed with a local Realtor. Any parcel of land that is worth multiple millions SHOULD have its own web page that goes far beyond what normal mls listings offer, IMHO. The MAIN thrust of the website is to promote Lake of the Ozarks with high priority on real estate. NOT just my property. U seem to knock me for having the intelligence of having the right to sell FSBO and saving myself if I sell about a half million bucks USD. Check out our most popular page realestateozarks.com/live NOTE promotion of the local Chambers of Commerce and CVB, not to mention a link to the MLS info. Look around at links on the page and U find all kinds of community information and phone numbers. I.E. realestateozarks.com/communityinfo.htm

- The MLS, which isn't unique content anyway, isn't prominent and possibly escaped notice.

You are correct the mls data itself is not unique. Its the rebuilding of the local Realtor's board MLS listings and making it much more user friendly. The link is not prominent? on the main page its the 1st link listed. How can U miss it? The link to the mls is all over the website.

- You claim not to be a realtor but about three 'below the folds' down, it's promoting a realtor.

What is this but double talk... catch 22 ... I am NOT a realtor but the site promotes several good and respectable Realtors. realestateozarks.com/broker.htm NOTE the link to the MLS info on top of page.

- There are no verifiable contact details.

Excuse me ... perhaps U need to look again or put on your glasses. listings.realestateozarks.com/detail/3064935 U cannot see contact info?
    realestateozarks.com/map.htm Here is a map of our location with phone number. Phone number and other contact info is also on the main page... need more verifiable info check out google maps, call the number listed on the site or stop by in person :)

Once this parcel of land sells the info on the site will be changed to another of the top 10 priced properties in this area. The site was designed to do this. Change about 1/3 of info on main page, the map and video page and a few others and its good 2 go.

Again I ask if this site is so poorly designed as U imply why are we listed so high in rankings with Google, Ask, Yahoo, Bing and so many others? Perhaps its because we offer quality information and counting the database we have over 6,500 unique web pages hosted on our site promoting real estate around the lake area.

Thanks again for your response.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    whonoes, Jun 8, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  16. whonoes

whonoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Jim,

The purpose of the original post was 2 bring attention to the lack of new sites being listed in this region of the country. NOT just my site.

Please excuse my error in saying that I have been dealing with DMOZ since the mid 90's I should have said Mid to Late 90's. As I don't know the exact date DMOZ started nor do I care. 2 me mid 90's would be from about 93 to 98 ish... 99 would be late and 92 would be early...

I had NO intention of getting into a debate/flame war with U.

I made this post to help DMOZ not hurt it in any way! If I don't qualify for a listing in DMOZ so be it... but PLEASE get some of the other GOOD Brokers in this area listed.

I also am done U will NOT hear from me again.

Good luck and God Bless!

whonoes, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  17. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to Jim to give us an idea how we should evaluate the website, and how editor should look to the website.
    the question is, are they all look like this?
    In other words, do you have something for editors to follow?

decno1, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You have read our guidelines?
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/include.html

But never forget that even a compliant site, with top PR, will have to wait for an editor to volunteer to work in that area and want to use the submissions pool as their resource and that can take from a few days to a few years and no one can give these sort of instructions in DMOZ to editors
    this is a hobby not a business.

Anonymously, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That has NOTHING to do with what you quoted... it would be nice if you hobbyists actually worked on your hobby by adding more pages to the directory rather then wasting time here posting Anonymously.

Qryztufre, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    IN your opinion. But if you remember the Dirty Harry comment about opinions " they are like*********, everyone's got one"

Anonymously, Jun 10, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.