1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Not So New Directory

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by nfzgrld, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I started to do something else with this directory, but decided against it. I've reconfigured it into what it should have been to begin with, an integrated directory and search engine. So please go submit your links at http://www.axelis.com.

Thanks! :D

nfzgrld, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  2. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    I just submitted 3 links... thanks!

daboss, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  3. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How many sites do you have in your SE database? I did a few search but couldn't find anything. Did you just add the SE?

larysmith711, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  4. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Got a website submitted to an empty category... I got there first, yahoo ;)

Anyway thanks :)

miko67, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  5. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    just added mine. Thank you!

carowan, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  6. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I've suggested another category, will add if it appears :)

dct, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  7. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Added mine, thanks

Googles76, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  8. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the submissions so far. I appreciate you participation. I have gotten some new category suggestions and will be reviewing them today. So far I haven't seen anything objectionable, so they'll probably all be added fairly soon.

The SE is new. Well, it's not new, I just turned it on. The reason there isn't much in there yet is because of the spider. I can't run it localy on my host as it's too processor intensive. I'm running it on a couple of machines here at my location and feeding the db remotely. Due to the way the spider works that process is really slow. I've been developing this spider for nearly a year now and have accumulated some very good information along the way. I'm going to be implementing some major changes to the way the spider operates starting hopefully this week that should greatly enhance the performance even when operating remotely.

By the way, whoever submitted the three UK shopping sites, that last one didn't come through properly. The URL was messed up, so go in and try it again.

Thanks! :D

nfzgrld, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  9. barrow

barrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I added one, thanks!

barrow, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  10. zez

zez Peon

Best Answers:
    Added mine, thanks!

zez, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  11. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    Added a couple of my sites, thanks.

obenix, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  12. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I added enough to keep you busy for a while.

CanadianEh, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  13. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    Just wondering if you you plan on spidering the whole web or doing deep scans of the sites that have submitted to you?

CanadianEh, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  14. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your submissions again. It is keeping me pretty busy. I don't at this time plan to spider the whole web. That would be a bit much for the assets I have available at the moment. I will be spidering every site that is submitted so as the directory grows the search index will as well. I have some work to do on the spider though. As it is right now, and given the way I have to use it it's not very efficient. Of course, since I can't even GET to any of my sites right now due to over 4 hours of my host being down, it really doesn't matter anyway!

nfzgrld, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  15. craige

craige Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my site to your directory a few days ago. I was surprised to see it listed in just a few hours. Thanks.

craige, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  16. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    First, let me thank everyone who has submitted so far. That done, let me now ask for your patience. I've gotten quite a number of category suggestions since opening this up for submissions and are have, are, or will apply most of those suggestions. Unfortunatly, in doing so, I ran into a problem when my host was going through all of its machinations over the past couple of days.

When I tried to move some of the entries into the newly created directories They were lost to the database. Yes, that's right, and most of them were really good entries. So if you submitted anything into the Computers > Internet category at Axelis please go resubmit. You'll find a next level of categories so go find the best one for your site and submit again. Sorry about this, I just tried to move them at exactly the wrong time. :eek:

nfzgrld, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  17. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    just added another for ya

web-rover, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  18. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    You have a pretty unique directory in the fact that you have spidered the sites that you have added.

You have to do some more work on the search. The results aren't relevant at all. You may also want to limit the number of times the same site is displayed. I saw my own site displayed 40 times in the first 3 pages.

CanadianEh, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  19. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Where there are more than a few thousand pages in the index the search engine does get a bit confused. It's also a function of the spider getting confused some times as well. The way I wrote it, there should be no way for the search engine to return the same page more than once on a single query. Unfortunatly it doesn't always work out that way. I've about got the spider problems beat, in fact it's actually doing really well. I haven't started on the search engine part of it yet, I have some work to do on my shopping site before I can go back and tackle that. I do have some ideas though, the search will, I think, get a lot better in the next couple of weeks.

The spidering the sites I have added was the whole reason I wrote it. I had a portal site for some time and was always trying to get different search and directory apps to work together. I was amazed to find that no one had thought to simply create an app where both functions were integrated. The search engine does have facility to import raw urls for indexing so I can build out the index if I want to, but being able to spider the urls that are in the directory just seemed to make too much sense for no one to have apperantly ever done it before.

nfzgrld, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  20. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    Good stuff. With so many directories out there, it will really pay to be different. The search results weren't so bad once I realized that there aren't a lot of sites in the directory yet.

For my sites, your spider seemed to do a bit better with straight html pages than dynamic pages, but that makes sense since it is taking armies of programmers so long to get it.

I have re-added some of my sites that went AWOL. www.best-web-directories.com was one of them.

CanadianEh, Feb 1, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.