1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Non webmaster point of view: Sites I visit are not listed even after being up 3 years

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BamaStangGuy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do I think is? A nice huge advantage over a non existent DMOZ listing.

Pardon me ;)
    The issue: Why say you are offering a directory of useful valuable content when you are missing half of it out there in certain categories.

If you are missing the entire goal that you (you in general not YOU) set out I believe that is a pretty big issue.

I am not whining I am complaining that their goal they set for the directory is not coming close to being met.

So what is it again that I am not getting? The fact that I am not suppose to complain about not being listed and not knowing at all the status so that I can be assured that the editor of that category is not someone who is a competitor of me that is keeping me out? I should just submit it and forget it right? Not have any clue who the editor(s) are and not have any reassurance that everything is being done fairly right? I mean after all it is not for webmasters so its ok if the editor says "Ah fuck that guy I don't like him so he isn't getting in"

Yea right

BamaStangGuy, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're mistaken. It's a backlink. Forget about DMOZ and go get another backlink.

minstrel, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One backlink huh? Am I suppose to take your word for it or are you going to provide something to back that up? What about all the directories using dmoz's lists? What about the possibility that Google does use this as a very positive advantage in your rankings?

Can you say it doesn't do these things with proof or am I again suppose to take your word for it.

I can get plenty of backlinks and still argue my point that DMOZ is not trying to meet its goal by any means.

BamaStangGuy, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Autos/Makes_and_Models/Ford/Mustang/ is a PR4 page with about 175 outgoing links. Let's say you did manage to get your site listed on that page. How much backlink advantage is it providing to your site?

What about them? Have you seen any recent evidence that they are contributing anything at all?

What about it? What do you see that supports such an assumption?

What about the possibility that Google uses the website owner's astrological sign as a very positive advantage in rankings? There's about as much evidence to support that theory... :rolleyes:

minstrel, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  5. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    BamaStanguy,

Your statements are contradictory and suggest that the true intention is to merely obtain a back link.

Isn’t the ODP simply an experiment? It seems that website submitters to the directory, DMOZ editors, DMOZ users and forum posters are purely participating in the results.

Constellation, Mar 13, 2006 IP