1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Non webmaster point of view: Sites I visit are not listed even after being up 3 years

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BamaStangGuy, Mar 12, 2006.

Even though the sites are very popular and has a wealth of information along with the fact that it has been up for 3 years it can not be found in your directories.

The Dmoz does work for the user correct? Not the webmaster? So how are people like me that are looking for sites pertaining to my subject suppose to find DMOZ useful if they can not be bothered to do a Google/Yahoo/MSN search and look on the first page for useful sites related to the category? /normal everyday user

That is all it takes ladies and gents. Forget your hundreds if not thousands of sites waiting approval! If you truly want to approve the best sites first.... SEARCH FOR THEM! How hard is that?

Takes a whole 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

Comments from the DMOZ faithful?

BamaStangGuy, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just a question again, BamaStangGuy.

If lets say you were approved as an editor when you applied and has succesfully listed your Mustang Site, Would you published the crap you just said ? :D

popotalk, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That was crap? That sounds like a legitamate complaint to me. Maybe you don't get many of those since.. you know.. people don't actually use the DMOZ and it's only worth is linkbacks ;)

I would have still published it because I can not edit every category nor have the time to do so and I know the Ford Mustang category is not the only category out there ;)

I am pretty consistent when I see things I don't like. I have friends sites that are not listed in the DMOZ despite being huge and full of useful content.

So nothing would change.

Now are you done trolling and attacking my motives for the night?

4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You still did not answer my question. Really, its just a question. No need to be upset. ;)

5. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:

I did answer your question. Nothing would change.

No need to red rep me with insults either :rolleyes:

6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like this site much better. Mustang :p

7. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    Good for you. I prefer this one if you want to talk about texas Texas Mustang Forum

I'm biased though, since I admin that one too

But this has nothing to do with my thread so if you have nothing more to contribute to the first post then stop posting in here.

8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You asked for a DMOZ faithful. You can't even answer A SIMPLE QUESTION ?
    Mustang, Mustang, Mustang maybe I'll just change to a Nissan Skyline.:p

9. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    What is your problem? I said nothing would change. That means I would still post this. 1 year is way to long for any site. Now answer my question or please stop posting useless shit in here.

10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1 year ? Your site maybe is Crap so its not listed. There are sites being approved as quickly as 1 hour. What do you say George.:D

11. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    I would say my site is not crap and that whoever is the editor of the Ford Mustang category needs to step down to someone else that can handle it. You wouldn't happen to be that editor would you :) If you think my site is not worthy of DMOZ yet some of the ones listed in there are you are a complete fool and your only goal right now is to attack me as a person.

12. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    More than one editor can be listed in a category at one time, and everyone listed higher in the branch can edit there as well.

sidjf, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't edit in that category, mine is tiny. But if I do would not still list crap. I maybe a fool but there are lots of new hired editors. :p

Enough for the night. Goodnight Mustang Boy.:D

14. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    I realize that, but if there is more than one editor and it still takes that long then something is really wrong.

15. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    Thanks for showing maturity with your comments. :rolleyes:

16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    BSGuy, the problem with your posts is that it is abundantly and transparently clear that you fit the mold of the standard Resource Zone characterization of DMOZ critics as disgruntled webmasters who can't get their sites listed. Because of that, your comments about DMOZ are not going to be taken seriously. What's worse is you feed into the preferred strategy of certain DMOZ defenders of dismissing all DMOZ critics as people like you, viz., wild-eyed tunnel-visioned neophytes raging because they believe they have the best {insert topic of choice here} site in the world and aren't listed.

Your comments might be taken more seriously if you stopped singing that "why isn't my mustang forum site listed?" song which is getting tired in a hurry.

minstrel, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  17. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    Sorry but I never said my site was the best but it is hardly crap. It has far more information than the aol and geocities pages that have found their way into that category.

What do you expect me to do? Everyone knows the backlink worth of DMOZ and that is really its only purpose. No one can tell me it is aiming for a high quality list of sites in it's category because it is simply not. I am just using my site and that category as an example as many others use their sites and their categories to show that it is ridiculous the amount of time that "normal everyday web surfers" have to wait to have sites listed that are worthy of listing.

It is utterly stupid to preach that your goal is to provide a directory of valuable content when you don't even come close to listing some of the most valuable resources out there.

The Mustang category is missing tons of great sites!

http://www.fordpower.net
    http://www.muscle-mustangs.com
    http://www.mustangboards.com
    http://www.mustang-forums.com
    http://www.moddedmustangs.com

That is just off the top of my head forum wise what I can think of. These sites have been around for years and yet no one in that category could stumble across them? How is that for not singing that song?

Bullshit. They are in no way striving for a directory of valuable content.

18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You really just don't get it, do you?

I'm no fan of DMOZ but ranting about a specific category that won't list your site is a waste of breath. If I were an editor (and I'm not), I wouldn't take your complaints seriously for a second.

19. BamaStangGuy

Best Answers:
    I guess I don't get it. I guess I never will. Along with the hundreds other people out there like me.

I am using this category as an example because I know this category. What the hell is wrong with that?

Would you care for me to talk about the other countless categories that have been inactive and extremely slow to add sites? How about the ones you talked about that could do no better than 3 entries a year?

Why the hell does it matter what category I talk about when it remains a fact that it is utterly stupid to sit here and tell me that you strive to add valuable content to the directory when you DON'T?

Please almighty reputation god, tell me what is so wrong about that.

How would you complain about the horrible lack of inituative to add sites to the directory so that all those editors out there would take you seriously and actually act on your complaint?

20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Really? What do you think is the backlink worth of DMOZ?

One more time: I'm not an editor. I don't add listings to DMOZ.

Try addressing the many real issues about DMOZ instead of whining because your site isn't listed.