1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

nofollow Allowed, Impressions Count Towards Weight

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2006.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you really think the ad network is a "scam", I *definitely* would say you probably shouldn't use it.

digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

I didnt say that - Dont put words in my mouth shawn. Thats plain bullshit and unfair. Please dont insult my intelligence.

joeychgo, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  3. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I love you man, but I really don't think we are going to agree on this one. :) I don't think there's a reason to go out of our way to hide/cloak stuff against Google. If Google knows about the ad network, that's fine... maybe they will take some cool ideas from it. Going out of our way to specifically hide from Google gives it a spammy feel just by doing that IMO. I've never personally looked at Link Vault, but I've heard that's the kind of stuff they are doing.

4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I have a question that has been on my mind since the inception of the img tag. Is there a way to do without that?

Or

Could a clearpixel.gif local with the name being the MD5 of the sites url or something be substituted to make this blend and be more transparent and unique?

EDIT:
    I got to thinking, Is that the hit counter?

noppid, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, sorry... it's the only way to track impressions. Impressions could be tracked on the backend (have the PHP script "call home" every time it's called). But by displaying the .gif file to only to end user browsers, you are able to track REAL end-user impressions.

6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I really didn't think that through. It occured to me that was going on as an after thought. I really took all this for granted in the past. I think I read the code once when I was learning to use CURL and not since.

An alternative impressions reading method if concievable would be something I'd like to see discussed as a possible change.

Beyond that, it is what it is. I got no debate there.

noppid, Jul 10, 2006 IP
    westhaven likes this.
  7. westhaven

westhaven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I woudn't say its a scam and here is mine suggestion when we add our keywords or site the the admin then moderator or who so ever approve the sites they have to be very very strict with the quality of sites.

westhaven, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

One way might be to consider a PR limit - nothing less then a PR 4 or something for example.

joeychgo, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The existing weighting system sort of does that already... PageRank is taken into account for exactly that reason (to try and algorithmically determine quality sites). Two sites that are identical in all ways except one is PR7 and one is PR1 will have a huge difference in the weight given to their ads.

10. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhh this one is nonsense, what about new site?? Come on give us a break..

rewlie, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  11. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Nintendo we need to be able to specify that our ads are either nofollow, follow or both. Advertisers should have this control IMO.

mad4, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well it's not going to happen... advertisers aren't going to have ultimate control over how a publisher wants to run their site.

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  13. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying advertisers need control over what the publisher does, I meant they should be able to decide whether their ads are displayed on sites who are using nofollow or not.

Some people might think that its wasting their weight/impressions to show their ads on nofollow sites.

mad4, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  14. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn I also have a question.

Did you not say a long time ago (dunno when) but there would be theming going on so we would get relevent links or ads or whatever you want to call them?

SEO Jeff, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  15. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    *sigh* I know you can't keep all the people happy all the time....

How much does it affect your weight?

SERPalert, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... it's a LOT more work (to do it right) than you think though, so it's not ready to roll yet.

It varies (it's not a hard dampening factor), but 3x lower would be "normal".

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  17. DaveN

DaveN Member

Best Answers:
    Hi .. Shawn thanks for the email ..

ok ..

Nofollow (dam I hate to but I agree with Nintendo ;) .. remember when google said if you don't want us to cache your page use meta tag ... then 12 months down the line banned sites that used that tag .. lol NoFollow is a vote of no confidence !! i don't to be on a site that is saying here is a link to davidnaylor but it gets a NO vote ..

Coop weight .. I guess..you use the API .. man I hate the API never upto date geotargeting out the window etc etc , what about Yahoo and MSN .. or is this the Google Link COOP which if it is you run the risk of getting a right kicking in the serps if google decides that the coop is built to game them.. if you are using Yahoo as well, then use siteexplorer they are stopping the other services.
    some cool stuff would reffer targeted ad's .. I don't care if a site is pr1 or has 3 pages indexed in google .. i would give it 10,000 weight if it ranked for a keyword I wanted,

also maybe a "these are the sites that link to you " or should be .. to stop the cloakers ;)

pagerank: is that toolbar pagerank because that's false.. Tpr can show PR but it's not passed, can show a lower vaule of PR than google credits .. or are you using the SHHHH the other way ;)

DaveN

DaveN, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  18. thehonz

thehonz Guest

Best Answers:
    Honestly, what is the point of no-follow. I am here for the serps. with a low quality donor site :)

thehonz, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  19. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    There was a recent thread here were I was the only one saying that. I took on a lot of red for my comments and I wish you were there to back me up...lol

I personally don't agree with using no follows ever but I can see this from Shawns perspective where people have been asking for this for a long time. I can't see many people actually using it but the feature is there for the very few that would have a nofollow on their site. Just think of them as the stingy webmasters that you can't control outside of the coop either.

The nice addition is getting credit for the number of people advertisers ads are shown to. This, I believe will bring in some high quality sites to the network and balance out the few people that decide to put nofollow on their sites.

What does that mean?

yfs1, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  20. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If we all turn up with low quality donor sites then this thing is going to die.

mad4, Jul 11, 2006 IP