1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No Volunteers please. We need technology

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by longer, Feb 19, 2006.

Yes,
    If we all think that some of the dmoz editors are doing unethical editing, then the only solution to this problem is replace volunteering with technology.
    Dmoz with volunteers is like perfect democracy with imperfect people running the system. We cannot avoid it.

I propose this solution.

1)We need an open stadard on how each website's content should be categorized. There should be a format, where website owner should be given freedom to explain his website's content (verification, whether the website owner has done his job correct can be verified with smart technology like Enhanced Full Text search engines).
    2) Like how domane name servers are spread to answer the requests of Domain names to IP address ....., we should have servers around the globe.
    These webservers will regularly visit each webhost/webserver and query the content decription files and index them.
    3) Search engines then can query these webservers for providing search results to users.

This way, we can free up hundreds of volunteers at DMOZ. They have done way too much work and need some time off to spend with their loved ones.

Strategy going forward.
    1)Website owners should be given freedom to describe their content and not the DMOZ editor.
    2) The description of website content should be based on some Open Standard schema. Compliance of this schema can be verified by Index servers spread across the globe (upto 10).
    3) Search engines should trust the technology and these Index servers rather than volunteers.

Comon guys, add up your ideas.

Thanks

longer, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  2. Lordo

Lordo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of it reversed! :)

My idea is: Technology should be used by google (for example). It should be able to check each site content, classify it and give it a description. I mean come on! We have the contents already (8 billion pages?) so why bother ask webmasters to add their websites to a directory?

Lordo, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  3. longer

longer Peon

Best Answers:
    Lordo,
    You misunderstood my post. I am against directories. I am against DMOZ monopoly. I am against volunteering, if it is increasingly used for self serving.

My post didnot say that webmasters should submit their site to a directory.
    What i said was, the webmasters should use a open standard to describe their services or content and place it somewhere on their webserver.
    Something like robots.txt, there should be web_describe.xml file on each webserver pretty much following some protocol or standard should give description of their website.

Several Index servers should then use that file to get an idea of what that particular website has to offer. These index servers will then index those websites efficiently and serve search engines like google.

It is in this context, i meantioned that authenticity and compliance of that description(by website owner) should be done by software like Enhanced Full Text Search.
    So, instead of relying on DMOZ volunteers manupulating anchor text, description, categories, it should be left as an excersize for website owners and verified by index servers. Anybody voilating the standard should be banned after few warnings.

No directories, no Link popularity scams, no Link exchange drama etc etc.

longer, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  4. longer

longer Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a negative rec for wrong reasons. Whoever has given me the negative rec, please reconsider and re-read my post.

longer, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    3sa likes this.
  5. Lordo

Lordo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well.. This might be slightly off-topic but I feel like talking :)

This way you are pushing the web back to its beginning :) If there are no directories, no ranks, no popularity, etc., then we will go back to the age of Yahoo's favorite list! Yahoo started as a list of two guys' favorites sites.. When it grew up, the need for categorization appeared. Then the need for sorting the sites. Then the need for searching them. Then the need for sorting the results. Then goooooooooogle. Hence, things got complicated. But this is how technology advances: you add more details.

In my opinion, current web components should stay the same and welcome new products. Removing any part of the current structure will not be good for any party.

Lordo, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.