1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No URL Sales threads.

Discussion in 'Sites' started by GeorgeB., Mar 12, 2006.

I figured this the best place to ask the question without ruining someone's sales thread.

What's with the NO URL/PM me for the URL sales trend?

Is there really a reason for it?

IMHO it's just another cloak for potential scammers to hide behind.

NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE WITH ONE OF THESE SALES IS A SCAMMER. Only trying to point out that by keepign a trend like this going we're making it easy for scammers.

Thoughts?

GeorgeB., Mar 12, 2006 IP
    bustour, routed11 and petertdavis like this.
  2. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    By requiring people to post request for the PM'd information, it keeps the thread bumped to the top.

I mean all it takes is a PM to get the URL, then no screening is happening, so the motive is just to keep bumping the thread.

IMHO of course.

tom

TommyD, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  3. gordi555

gordi555 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    And to try and just let only the interested people know. That way you can follow up!

gordi555, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  4. jellyfish

jellyfish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I personally believe that it should be a rule that the url is in the thread title.

jellyfish, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    At many sites it's becoming a rule that the domain must be stated in the sale. To me that just makes sense...what's the secret? The "PM me for url" is bologne! It serves zero purpose. Maybe we should start posting the URL when the person PMs us back..it would quickly diminish their usage to bump a thread.

RectangleMan, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  6. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    If someone is selling a site, the url should definitely be shown.
    Bit of a pain to wait, sometime hours and hours into the next day, for either a PM to be sent or an answer one posts.

Same with price....Post with a starting price if an auction, and a BIN.

Now is a good time for me to say something...to the mods, whomever.
    Make me a mod and I will get rid of the useless chatter!
    LOL

iowadawg, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  7. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I agree. It's time to start implementing this rule to show the url at time of sale.

jeeplaw, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  8. yonya

yonya Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You are perfectly right otherwise everyone would scroll to the end of the thread to post something like " PLEASE PM URL":confused:

yonya, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  9. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I hate it also. A rule should be implemented. I think someone should report this thread to have it moved to the Suggestions/Feedback forum.

EGS, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  10. diamondsinfo

diamondsinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Agreed - am getting tired of looking at threads with 25 "please PM me URL and stats, blah blah blah" posts. If you're selling a site, describe it, show the URL, post revenue and statistics if applicable and lets get on with it.

The only exception I would understand would be if the site is DMOZ listed since there are cases where a site has been removed from DMOZ because of a sale, which is ridiculous in my opinion but I've seen it happen.

diamondsinfo, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  11. tmcca

tmcca Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    URLs. info, stats, etc should be on all sites that are for sale

tmcca, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If I was selling a domain name that was listed in either dmoz or Yahoo I wouldn't want it disclosed publicly - especially if it had no content

CReed, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  13. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Here's another vote FOR the url being shown.

Greg-J, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  14. iBBnet

iBBnet Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It really all depends....though you guys make some great point.

I would only use it if I wanted to keep a site sale confidential. For example, one time I bought an online business in a major forum (not in this forum). The search engines picked up the thread... and for a long time, everytime I search for my business on the engines, all I see is that thread where the transaction took place! It was really annoying to have all that confidential information available to everyone! :mad:

So now I do it as a courtesy to some potential buyers. :) I don't want the same thing to happen to them... Unless they don't really care!:D

iBBnet, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  15. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    Neat idea to post the url!
    When someone puts a site up for sale and does not post the url, but wants a pm to get that url, then pm and get the url, THEN POST IT!!!
    That should do something...good or bad.
    For sure, anyone now posting a site for sale with no url, may realize that someone will post that url, so maybe they will post it right away and do away with the PM me crap.

Of course, if 10 people pm and get the url, then post the url, we will have more useless postings on the thread of "here is the url"

iowadawg, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Looks like most of the serious buyers here are in agreement. Just need Shawn to make the call on it :)

But yeah it really is about getting a bump (or you're hiding something).

Fact is people doing it for bumps are truly being unfair to everyone else that are running their sale correctly.

The whole trying to attract only interested parties excuse is BS! What the hell am I supposed to be "truly interested" in if I don't even know what I'm supposed to be interested in???? ANYONE can come on here and lie and make up stats about a site for sale. When you post the URL publicly people here with experience can judge for themselves and all that goes away.

I know I've probably missed out on a few good sales because of this. I know the whole "other sites are doing it" argument doesn't always work because hey, DP isn't "other sites". But you have to admit, the fact that other sites do it and it seems to work fine kinda eliminates any argument you could possibly post against it.

17. lovelylovely

lovelylovely Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i vote definately for a url in the thread

lovelylovely, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  18. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    P.S. I can understand when it's an adult site...... But then again are posting the URLs of adult sites against any rules here? Not the link, just the URL or a description like myadultsite dot com
    for the purposes of the sale.

P.S.S.: To the coward that gave me anonymous red rep instead of posting it here in the thread, thanks for proving my point. You're EXACTLY the type of person who would want to keep it in the shadows. Here's the red rep message:
    You didn't want to say it in public because you know it's absolutely ridiculous don't you. They won't find out after the sale anyway? Why would you hide it from them? Would they stop you from selling it? Afraid they'd leave if they find out you sold it??? OH that's right, after you have already snuck the sale it it won't be your problem anymore anyway right??? Scammer. Perfect example.

CyberBrian and CReed like this.
  19. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    As Shawn has stated in the past, the purpose of these forum is not to be a market place. Yes, it has that capability and does act as one, but it wasn't intentionally made to be a market place. He said he won't start implementing rules for sales such as that simply because he doesn't want to move int he direction of that focus.

fsmedia, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  20. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    As a regular buyer on these forums, I'm opposed to forcing people to disclose the url in the thread. If a full and honest description of the site is given, then to a certain extent the actual url is almost irrelevant.

Once there's a thread about a particular site, people can trace that sale for years or forever afterwards, which is something a lot of buyers wouldn't want.

If there's a concern about to many "PM me" type posts - why can't people just send a PM saying "PM me..." instead of wasting a post stating this?

If there's a concern about scammers - once you know the url of the site you can still critique a scammer - even without posting the url.

onlinedude, Mar 12, 2006 IP