1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No Longer A "dofollow" Site

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jul 2, 2011.

1. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This does suck I don't care what all you suck ups say so you can suck up to Shawn. anybody with a lot of post is not going to be happy about losing lots of Dofollow links. Yes something needs to be done about the spam but as mentioned once already maybe there needs to be mods that are actually here. I am on the forum a lot and there are hardly ever mods here signed in. and yes, people shouldn't be here just to build links but it's an added perk. When people are commenting on blogs and they leave valuable info or post to gain a back link, whats the difference. Your not going to do it for nothing. I know a forum is a little different and we all should help people out just to be nice but....If your here answering questions for people then you should get something in return. Ok, maybe not should but it's nice and it motivates people to help more.
    It seems to me like this another attempt to get more people to pay to become premium members and spam is being used as an excuse because it's a good arguement. Don't get me wrong, and I know a lot of people are going to talk shit about this but hey, everybody has the right to their own opinion. Me, I don't really like losing all the dofollow links but I don't own the site so I have no say. and something does need to be done about the spam so if this is the only way then whatever.

Ok, go ahead now... I know there are going to be a boat load of negative comments. I don't care. This is my opinion, I'm entitled to it so get over it.

indyonline, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  2. williamsweb

williamsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you are growing and growing and growing, and google is not penalizing you, then why nofollow? :(
    plzzzzzzzzzzzz dont

williamsweb, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind words, Indy, but you might notice a lot of the guys applauding the move are moderators elsewhere and might just think anything that slaps post-count spammers is A_Good_Thing.

ANYBODY? I have zero sites in my sig here or at the other forums I frequent regularly. Sure, they're nice, but not critical. I dont sell my sig, and I can market sites by other means. If losing a sig at one forum is gonna put you off your feed you're doing this wrong.

But we aren't entitled to ours without you calling us "suck ups"? You're in a glass house, I'd drop the rocks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    robjones, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  4. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Spammers are so stupid that they wont even know sig links are no follow, they wont care, this wont stop spam. Just changes just for the sake of change (like itrader gone for a more shitty and incomplete feature).

EvcRo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I do support it, but it's not "sucking up". In my case, I only have one site that I really care about. At times, I've made friends and contacts with my site, and would rather not have these visitors have a way to trace me to DP, perhaps reading all my views on politics and religion. In addition, there are so many nonsensical posts, for example, look at this here and here. LOL. I mean, what? These were just posted in general chat, and most likely, are just to get the post count up. If they are doing it for a signature, a no-follow policy should help. With that said, I can understand where you're coming from, as you are not a person that is posting simply for links. Blame it on the spammers, I guess.

Rebecca, Jul 5, 2011 IP
    robjones likes this.
  6. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It will take them at least half a year to realize that

ApocalypseXL, Jul 5, 2011 IP
    Mightee likes this.
  7. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Yes Rob, I know not everybody will care but the majority will.
    and I'm not using my sigs for my own links anyway so no I'm not being "put off my feed".
    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but most in here sound like suck ups.

NOT trying to argue with everyone here. Just giving my 2 cents.

indyonline, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    when you go from asking for donations to a fully fledged advertising platform/paid membership and now nofollow links, bloody oath you are going to get some haters. don't act like some not for profit organization if the ultimate goal is to milk the users for every cent they are worth, its sickening even thinking about it. he must have thought this idea up hella pissed, its hard to fathom how someone so intelligent can get it so wrong, seriously.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  9. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Very true.
    I remember donations being asked for to purchase new servers and once before that too for something.

and...

I feel a lot of the people providing valuable info here will no longer offer it because they will be gone not wanting to waste there time here if they can't even get a back link for helping people. This hurts us too.

10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes, what business doesn't view buying servers as just part of doing business. And if the servers were expensive surely leasing them is an option instead of NEEDING donations to survive and keep the site online. And it wasn't like the forum wasn't making money.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  11. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Ya, when I seen donations being asked for for the servers I was like WTH. Especially being that this site was one of the highest Adsense earners at the time.

12. indyonline

Best Answers:
    BTW, thanks for the negative rep Rob. Too bad I have got a boat load of + rep on this too (from long time members).
    I know you don't care about sig links (prolly cuz u argue with everybody and don't want your sites being shown). But if you took my comment personal that's ur problem.
    AND BTW Rob, this is a feedback thread not P&R so no need to argue... I apologize if my comment offended you.

EvcRo and Digital_shubhi like this.
  13. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you would let the site decline and you got to be pretty good to have such a nice webmaster forum and time for it. :D

GamingOn, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  14. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Would be nice if signature links are made "dofollow" for members with over 4000 posts!

nihangshah, Jul 5, 2011 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  15. Mightee

Mightee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa rank has already went down from 186 to 193
    i know Alexa doesn't give a true picture of the traffic, but DP was used to be in 182-186 consistently!

Mightee, Jul 5, 2011 IP
    robjones likes this.
  16. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good move!

Agent000, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah heck Indy, you know I still luv ya, just didn't care to be called names for sharing my opinion, or have the reason I hold it mis-characterized. Didn't take the low road... at least I signed it instead of sniping anonymously. Reasonable people should be able to hold disparate opinions without the name-calling.

FTR - If you ever have to deal with the flood of post-for-count spammers you'll know exactly why my position has nothing to do with sucking up to anyone. If the primary reason someone's posting is the perceived $ value of the accumulated output, the actual value of their input generally suffers. After word gets out and they cease to see value in doing it, you'll see a lot less garbage to wade through to get to the meat in the threads. It won't be a cure-all, but it should help.

robjones, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  18. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I didn't mean to directly call you a suck up. I actually was thinking about a few other people that made stupid comments rather then giving some input.

I know what you mean, I just think there should be more mods or the ones already here should be doing their job and deleting these post and handing out infractions. I don't think they should punish us all because of them. But yes, I hate useless post too and people that post just to run up their post count. I report people for it every day and hand out plenty of negative rep. I just think there are others ways to accomplish the over all goal without punishing us all.
    -----
    Rob, we have had quite a few discussion in here and I didn't mean for this to start an argument or to offend you.

19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    FWIW, I've made the argument for more mods here too, but given that many who have taken the role have fallen by the side I'm guessing the volume of the problem sends some screaming into the night, or at least convinces them its a Sisyphean task they want no part of. Adding mods in a place this size is a two edged sword; some that'd be decent at it often don't want the work, and many that covet the role would want it for the same reason a lotta short guys become cops. There are some people you don't want carrying a gun and a badge.

But yeah, I agree they could use more, just not convinced even that would scale big enough to handle the problem without measures like this one in support. Anyway, not thinking of this as a "punishment"... more a "mixed blessing", sorta like watching your mother-in-law drive over a cliff in your new car. :)

robjones, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  20. laxman363

laxman363 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes so why dont we just delete all posts and give thema brand new account or ban them for 3 years. I have contributed much more to this forum then any average guy has. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2037305

laxman363, Jul 5, 2011 IP