1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No Invision Power Board People here?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by gamecock, Jan 5, 2006.

Just curious, why just phpBB & vBulletin? Not that these are not two fine and capable scripts, but IPB is very good too. :p

Why not Bulletin Board software or something like that?:confused:

Any other Invision Power Board folks in the house? :)

gamecock, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  2. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use a IPB here : India Forum

Unfortunately IPB has a big duplicate content problem. I have tried to eleminte it using a modified sitemap, still IPB sucks. :(

On the same time , I have use phpbb2 and it indexes better than IPB.

Tuning, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  3. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, phpBB is a piece of crap :) It's just too easy to exploit and not worth bothering with.

Maybe instead of calling it "phpBB & vBulletin" Shawn could just change it to "Forum Scripts" or "Bulletin Board Systems".

The title is kind of misleading, look at the description:

Skribblez, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  4. dotboost

dotboost Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, i'm another IPB lifetime licensed fanatic. And indeed, i have problems with sitemaps, but i'll solve it in few days, with a home-made mod...

dotboost, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And this astute observation is based on what exactly? :rolleyes:

Have you ever even used phpBB? Ever looked at the code? Know anything about it at all other than stuff you've read on forums?

I admit that after the sad antics of the phpBB team over the past two updates I am seriously soured on what phpBB has become. That doesn't make it a "piece of crap not worth bothering about" though.

minstrel, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  6. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I knew someone was going to quote me for that.. :p

Oh, and, yes I have used phpBB, and I've had many bad times with it. And nearly all new versions that are released will always have exploits distributed for in a few days/weeks. That's why I don't like phpBB, it gives you the feeling that you're never secure enough.

At the time I posted that message, I couldn't really think of anything more appropriate than "piece of crap" :) sorry if that offended.

Skribblez, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    "Piece of crap" is all relative... Before I got into the guts of vBulletin, I thought phpBB was nicely coded. To be honest, I think most everything is a piece of crap now that I'm spoiled with vBulletin (for example WordPress).

digitalpoint, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    "Security" is also all relative:

I'm not bashing vBulletin here, by the way. I've just been debating IE vs. Firefox and XP vs. Linux security issues on another forum.

I don't care what forum software (or any other software) or browser or OS you're using, everything is vulnerable - nothing is 100% secure.

minstrel, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... Although I do have to give vBulletin some credit for the speed of their security updates. I've never heard of a vBulletin security problem before the update for it (the way I hear about them is because the update is available). Maybe they have just been lucky to date, but I can't say the same about other PHP apps (phpBB, WordPress, etc.)

digitalpoint, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    So do I. And for the fact that they don't screw up those updates the way phpBB has done with the last two.

minstrel, Jan 6, 2006 IP