1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No idea where to start

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by LucidNet, Jun 16, 2004.

i am wanting to allow certain people to edit only single web pages in an an area of my site, how would i go about assigning an individual password to a page... and possibly have them only change a certain area of the page uploading it through html... so they log on it goes to their page, and they just edit the area of the page in a box press submit and it will update

Are there any scripts allready out there?

Any help to push me somewhere is the right direction to do this are appreciated

LucidNet, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    One way you could go is to put person A's page in a password protected directory A, person B's page in password protected directort B etc.

There may be better ways but I do not want people having access to my root web.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  3. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi
    it depends a bit if you're comfi with php mysql and/or if you can use this.
    A way is to use a commercial product like
    http://www.multidmedia.com/software/firestorm/

or search for a well rated smaller GPL content management system that allows multi users - remote manipulation - access levels like

http://www.scriptdungeon.com/

search for nuke s php based cms system or have a scrounge round on hotscripts.com

Basically it boils down to hold parts or complete pages in a db with a more or less confortable wysywig pane to manipulate (thus no html or limited html is required) with or without templates (this are pre-defined layouts) to full blown content management systems on high performance servers.

if you need more you can pm me or simply post more questions here.
    cheers
    M

expat, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  4. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info

these content management scripts seem to be similar to what i want they let you set up multiple users that can add pages, but it uses its own system of placing the added files where it wants, i want to be able to set the user accounts up and assign the page they are allowed to edit, i want the page to be static and have and online html editor just be able to change the main body of my website, and leave headers and footers in place. There are some massive content managers but they are too big for what i am wanting.

I have looked around some script sites, but i dont really know technical names of what i want to do so it is making it hard.

Can anybody refer me a some good scripts that can handle this, gotta be free too

Cheers
    Andy

LucidNet, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  5. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi,

well yes these can be overpowering
    A template is exactly what you describe it forms the "frame" of a page and only certain elements are allowed to change.

Here is a more basic one that should do what you want.

http://www.m-tecs.net/phpwebed

I'm not sure what you mean by static?
    Dynamic just builds the parts that are to be put together when the page is requested but to the outside world this looks static.
    You can also change apache handlers to parse HTM pages with PHP if you prefer to always show htm endings.

To spew out changed pages to a replacement htm page adds another staep that may well go wrong. If you are expecting high traffic loads there is phph driven caching available.

Cheers
    M

expat, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  6. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your help

This program is so... so close to being exactly what i want, it is a simple script and edits everything how i need, with the exception of not being able to add other users and the pages they can edit. I need to have this option in.

Is there anyway i can do this by subsidising it with another script? or a script similar to this but nor just designed for the webmaster's use

i think i will avoid changing the extensions, until i have time to play around with it

LucidNet, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  7. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I'm not sure if you could add a script to the below easily.
    You may have to keep huntung for "remote update of html pages" or "easy content management"
    Sorry
    M

expat, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  8. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    ok.... thanks for an idea of keywords to be looking out for, you have give me a good start to find what i need :)

i will do some hunting over the next week, and maybe post on some other forums, someone may have just come across a script that i am looking for

LucidNet, Jun 17, 2004 IP