1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No .htaccess

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Cygnus, Dec 7, 2004.

Hello everyone -- some may know me from SEOChat and SEO-Guy.

I'm trying to get the co-op advertising on my site, but I'm afraid i don't see a solution in the existing threads for my situation...I hope this isn't a dupe.

The scenario:
    1. Pages are all HTML; I don't particularly want to change 50k extensions to PHP.
    2. The hosting service won't allow me to use .htaccess (thus the mod_rewrite workaround for html files isn't a possibility). This was something of a shock to me...up until this point I thought rather highly of hosting service.

Has any code been written in javascript to handle the ad requests / writes? I realize it'd necessitate a global change on my part to add the code, but that could easily be done -- I just don't want to try and develop something if it has already been done and/or if a javascript solution is not allowed within the co-op.

The next site I develop in the upcoming months will be on a new host; if the javascript concept doesn't fly, I'll just try again later with that new site, using one of the known implementations of the co-op.

Thanks everyone!

Cygnus

Cygnus, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It wouldn't work with JavaScript, so if you can't do .htaccess you would need to change your extensions.

digitalpoint, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. eddie

eddie snowrider

Best Answers:
    I also have this problem

I hate to ask foolish questions but I am very new to codes and web site building.
    If I change the file extensions to php I do not need the .htaccess ?
    What is involved with changing file extension names?
    Will it have any effect on things like pr serps ect.
    any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

eddie, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It would have an affect on your immediate ranking and PR because you are changing all the file names (URLs).

digitalpoint, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  5. Cygnus

Cygnus Cat Herder

Best Answers:
    Bummer. Okay, thanks Shawn. I'll revisit when we launch our next category site in a month or so...in case anyone is thinking about Yahoo! Web Hosting, it won't work for this solution, but it otherwise a pretty solid host.

Cygnus

Cygnus, Dec 8, 2004 IP