1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Nine new Mozilla and Firefox security flaws

Discussion in 'Security' started by minstrel, Apr 18, 2005.

Mozilla flaws could allow attacks, data access
    April 18, 2005
    By Munir Kotadia, CNET News.com

minstrel, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    New Exploits released for Mozilla and Firefox
    Sunday, April 17, 2005
    Posted by Mikko @ 19:15 GMT

3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I still have not downloaded it yet since my last box went down, do they have a new patched version up yet :confused:

anthonycea, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I just had a similar problem with www.openoffice.org and had to remove the old version and get the new beta 2.0, it is quite a nice program.

Thanks for the notice and the link :eek:

anthonycea, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  6. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Full story: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1080895,00.html

mushroom, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  7. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    The difference is that the Firefox team fired off a fix immediatly.

MS has to spin it's wheels while they decide how bad the patch will affect the OS as IE is so closely intergrated. Just plain old bad planning on MS's part.

Bugs will always exists. The quality of the software and the software provider should be guaged by reation time IMO.

Firefox wins hands down there.

noppid, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  8. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    J.D., Apr 19, 2005 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%. And considering that I don't have any of those aforementioned features turned on or utilized, it would not affect me anyway.

mopacfan, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Nicely Said.

TwisterMc, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  11. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Firefox remains the way to go IMHO. The bug fixes seem to be very quick.

jebby, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Suit yourself. It's nice to have choice. But I do find it funny that we first get the open source crowd trying to tell us that the software is invulnerable and then when bugs are announced we get the "yes but look how fast they were fixed" stuff. In this case, no matter how many people proclaim the "one day fix" myth, some of these bugs were common knowledge before the weekend (Thursday I believe) and the new versions were not available for downloads until Monday. That's a bit longer than 24 hours, wouldn't you say?

Have you noticed that many of the bug fixes announced by Microsoft are for bugs you didn't even know existed until the fixes were released?

All that said, this thread was about warning people to upgrade Firefox. One of the things that concerns me is that many people have been fed the myth that Firefox avoids the security issues seen in IE. Based on that belief. my son and a nephew recently converted. I don't think the open source community does themselves or their users any favors by making false claims -- if you are using Firefox, it is just as important for you as it is for IE users to keep up with updates. And I wish Mozilla/Firefox would get it's act together and develope some way of automatically notifying people of vulnerabilities and then issuing PATCHES instead of forcing a download of the entire new version.

minstrel, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  13. noppid

Best Answers:
    1) Where did the "open source" community make such a statement please?

2) Um er, percentages please, not speculation based on how informed you think you may be please.

3) Again, if you look up the quotes, no one said it won't happen. And I stand by the fact open source responds faster. They can because they are not working in the fragile inner rings of the windows core like IE.

4) They probably do that because of the seeming inability of windows to do an upgrade of anything without it tripping over remants of the previous install it left behind. In other words, it's a damn smart move, you know you have new code.

Both have their place, but I hate IE because while MS postures this big facade that they hate spam, down the hall they delvelop IE so vendors in their graces can do exactly that, spam you. But worse, on your desktop.

The IE argument is lost there and cannot recover, that is bills intention and they will keep providing hooks for vendors to get around email and spam your desktop.

Don't let one known failed attempt at this make you think it won't happen, it will. Then you will be able to hate IE for what it is, not because you don't undersatnd open source methods that actually work.

noppid, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think you know full well that the myth of invulnerability has been widely propagated. You can't have missed the geelful headlines, initiated by the open source community and picked up and circulated even further by the popular press. This thread wasn't started to bash Firefox -- it was started to warn people of vulnerabilities because too many people are now convinced that if they use Firefox they don't need to worry any more.

15. noppid

Best Answers:
    Now that sounds more like you. Yes, the propganda wagon got out of control by wanna be zealots. However the purists are probably not speaking but know as well too of the inevitable.

noppid, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    What sparked the thread was a comment from my son, who recently returned from a trip to the UK where his cousin apparently told him he should use Firefox so he wouldn't get all those viruses and stuff.

We have a large extended family and I just know I'm going to be re-formatting a lot of hard drives in the next little while :(

17. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    My reason for switching to firefox was for features--in particular, I really like tabbed browsing. The fact that it isn't a microsoft product was a bonus.

I do agree that it is annoying that updates aren't simply patches but Firefox does notify you when new updates are available (little red arrow on the top right of the browser window)

jebby, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, I'll be! I thought that little red arrow meant, "You're shafted now, bud"... :D

19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Fred Langa: FireFox Pros And Cons

minstrel, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  20. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    More bourgeois bashing of good working class browser, FireFox. The flaws are propaganda launched by comrade bill. A revolt will happen one of these days. The proletariats will rise up, and squash the flaws that rule over us.

:)

mikmik, Apr 21, 2005 IP